HD "HI-FI Vinyl Will Soon Be A Reality 3D Printing Technology

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I had a DVD changer fail once, but it wasn't the laser. Other than that, I've never had a CD player or a DVD player or a Blu-ray player fail before I replaced it. Or a CD or DVD or Blu-ray computer drive either, for that matter. So I find the hysterics over the alleged lifespan of any Blu-ray derived analog disc player to be somewhat hilarious. This gadget would surely cost under $500, and probably under $300. Who gives a crap if you have to replace it every 5-10 years? Needles and cartridges won't last any longer under similar heavy use, and for audiophile grade equipment can cost as much or more (if you can even find replacements).

A nothingburger.

The reality is, I can't see anyone spending the few million it would cost to develop such a device. Sony sure isn't gonna. It would have to be a wealthy eccentric or someone financed by an obsessive wealthy audiophile.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And you're right Analog on a laser format is not commercially doable in a mass market way. SACD Hybrid discs was the last hope for laser based disc media.. But I can replace styli, cartridges can be changed for others if I need to. I have options. I can substitute them as I need to. Laser dies, no substitute. Replace whole player. And Blu-Ray is best for HD Video, which is what it was designed for. DVD-A was also on a format best invented for Video. Many audiophiles and music lovers don't want a TV screen in the sound room. Or want to fire up the TV set to navigate content. And many listen to their preferred format, 2.0. Surround is a tiny minority format in audio. In video, it's common. Your 5-10 year replacement for me is more like every 1-2 years due to high use. I put more hours on audio gear than home users do, because I do lots of transfer, archival, and broadcast work.

Rockchef and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

MiniDiscs were convenient and reliable, I used two Sonys, a stand alone recorder and a MiniDiwc Walkman for many years when I worked as a tour guide in the 90'sand early 2000's and never failed to me. The problem with MiniDisc for Pro use is that ATRAC compression wasn't very good.

Shak Cohen and sunspot42 like this.
  4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Great Post.

McLover likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Junk. Anyone knowledgeable in this field knows the pulsed high energy NANO laser would be the way to go...

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think you mean Kind Of Blue :D

Fishoutofwater and sunspot42 like this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My mom played that while I was a kid, so as I wandered through the girls' side of my college dorm and heard that playing, I just HAD to see who the heck was playing THAT. We are still BFFs to this day :)

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

While this all is an interesting prospect I dont think it will revolutionize the industry at all. Music today is not so much about making art as it is about making a product. Real world phenomena like the loudness war are things that will always hold back what an album and its medium is truly capable of. Of course, there will be the select ones that take advantage of it but realistically its no game changer. Im all for developing better quality cutting techniques though. I imagine it just helps down the line with mastering and such as well.

9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

@8:40 creator of HD vinyl talks about his creation and getting it to market

10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

12. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I haven’t read this whole thread but does anyone know what the claims are regarding surface noise and durability?

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

"So by summer 2019 we shall see the first HD vinyls in the stores.”

Bring on the HD "vinyls"!!!

14. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

3D printing technology, you say? So you'll have to map out the grooves of a record using a computer, and print the lacquer with computerized technology? Meaning the final product will be entirely digital audio cut to a plastic disc?

If only there was a way to directly listen to digital audio, cutting out all the disadvantages of conventional record-cutting and playback... hmmm... :whistle:

15. Leonthepro

I believe this is using a laser instead of a cutter head to cut the Laqcuer. Not sure of what else it entails.

16. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

‘HD’ vinyl? B-b-but vinyl already has the full analog waveform! Reeeeeeeeeee!

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

This could be great......if its done right.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I will try a record when this comes out.

19. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Yes. This thread would have made for a good poll. I can't imagine not wanting to hear an even more HD vinyl experience than my cleanest, best mastered records.

20. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

No longer a compact disc..... more of a 12" dual sided maxi-disc.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Actually, it seems to me, that these are no different than digitally sourced vinyl we get now. Maybe a better process? Yet to be determined.

22. Leonthepro

I thought it was already known that its replacing the cutter head with a laser instead.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't understand why that would make a difference, unless the laser is more or less doing the job as well. In the end it is analog or it wouldn't play with a regular cartridge.

24. Leonthepro

It means more accurate cutting. You can do things like tighten the space between grooves to increase playing time on each side and increase frequency response without worrying about the cutter head overheating. You could also eliminate the problems of geometry because the laser could cut grooves that are more tangential to the stylus and arm.

Mr. Explorer and The Revealer like this.
  25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

looking forward to my Barewald pressing of Aja.

Old Rusty, Aftermath, nosliw and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.