HDMI flicker problem only with ROKU Ultra

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prea, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prea

Prea Active Member Thread Starter

This is more of a post to share my experience but I am also curious if anyone else has had a flickering problem with an HDMI cable that occurs only using ROKU but not any other devices?

I have read multiple internet posts from people insisting that HDMI cables either work or don't work and that something like signal flickering is not possible except in runs more than 25 feet. My cables are all only 2 meters or 1 meter so length cannot be a factor.

I first had this problem years ago with 2 AudioQuest Carbon model HDMI cables. I have 2 other AQ Carbon HDMI cables that do not have this problem (they work perfectly). One of them is a direct replacement from AQ when I sent the first bad one in. I pushed AQ to admit that this problem can happen but they said it is rare. I can use the "flickering" cable(s) with any other devise and it does not flicker. This is a unique ROKU problem. I have some Monster Black Platinum spare cables that all work perfectly in the ROKU.

Last month I purchased a 2nd ROKU device (different room) and bought a couple CAIVOV HDMI cables on Amazon. On my 2nd ROKU device I have the exact same problem with the CAIVOV cables. I ran some tests on the new ROKU and found that the other AQ and Monster HDMI cables behaved identically between the 2 RUKUs which tells me I don't have a uniquely bad ROKU device but rather the devices are performing as designed.

This is an odd problem.

2. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

2 Ultras here, zero problems. Be sure you are using certified high speed cables.

3. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

The brand of a HDMI cable doesn't matter, they're carrying data not analogue signals.

That aside the more important info that you haven't provided here is what resolution and refresh rate you're running at and if you're using an AV receiver or connecting the Roku directly to the TV.

Without that information we can only guess but my hunch is that you may be using a Roku that is attempting to run at 4K resolution and you're not using HDMI 2.0 compliant cables capable of 18Gbps.
    Does the flicker go if you set you Roku to output at 1080p?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. Prea

Running through Anthem AVM60 AV receiver. Roku auto-detects and validates 4K, yes I am running 4K. When running through my Dennon AVR in the other room that is 1080P there is no problem with the cable, the problem only occurs at 4K.

None of the cables I have used are HDMI.org certified. All 3 brands I have owned/tested so far have manufacturer claims that they are 18Gbps - 48GBPS 4K/8K. Monster and AudioQuest are relatively expensive (overpriced you might say). I don't really care how much they cost (within say $100 or so) as my goal is to buy something I can plug in, count on working, and forget about. Frustrating to say the least!

I just ordered a set of Monoprice that have the certification claim so I will be trying them out next week when they arrive. I see BJC also carries the same certification. Both are cheap cables which is great assuming the certification means they are going to work reliably.

5. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Good stuff, well it sounds like your system is unable to achieve the bandwidth over HDMI required for 4K, most likey due to using older cables intended for HDMI 1.4. I've been there myself.

Do ensure that both the HDMI cable connecting the Roku to the AVR and the cable between the AVR and the TV are HDMI 2.0 cables with no adapters or junction boxes in the chain and you should be OK.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. 201k

201k Active Member

Never had a problem with these. I would have said check your cabling or the refresh rate but it looks like you've already done that.

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Run the HDMI cable directly into the TV and see if the problem is there. If it isn't, you've found the problem.

8. Prea

I spent some time on this and am unable to duplicate the problem now with either of the original problem cables so I can't do as you are suggesting.

I wasn't thinking that it could be the Anthem because I have swapped out the bad cables with good cables so many times and never got anything but the exact same results where the bad ones were bad and the good ones working fine. Needless to say I am puzzled now that the bad ones work fine in the Anthem.

The known Anthem problem with HDMI boards and the fact that I had to have mine replaced a couple years ago does make me think that is a possibility. I thought I had tried the direct plug test into the TV before but I cant say with 100% confidence that I actually did that.

The "certified" Monoprice cables arrived from Amazon last week so I have a stock of cables for the next time I have any issues.

9. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I had this problem when I was using an HDMI switcher with m Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Nvidia Shield. But it was my Apple TV that was doing the flickering and artifacting. I ended up finding out that the switcher was the problem, and I ended up getting a much better one, and it solved the problem completely.

This is the switcher I bought in case anyone is interested. It passes everything perfectly, on all devices.
    Monoprice Blackbird 4K 4x1 HDMI 2.0 Switch, Ultra Slim, HDR, HDCP 2.2, EDID, 4K@60Hz - Monoprice.com

thetman likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm interested in getting a Roku for streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime. Is buying the Roku Ultra with the quad-core processor worth the additional cost? Are the launch times actually quicker than a standard Roku unit?

11. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

chili555 likes this.
  12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Personally, I think it is worth the extra cost.

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent! The cost difference really isn't that much. Thanks!

14. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I went from the roku streaming stick to the ultra, and it was like night and day. I just got the 2019 ultra with more ram, and it’s even faster th the previous ultra (4660).

HiFi Guy and Bill Mac like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks!

16. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

A microSD card can be used with the Ultra, as well. Get the cheapest one you can find, this allows the unit to store more channels without having to reload them.

thetman likes this.
  17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

With regards to what? A MicroSD card won't speed up the loading of apps?

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope, never had an HDMI flicker problem with Roku Ultra.

Direct answer to the first line of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.