HDMI to Coxial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by haibane, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haibane

haibane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, I am having a bit of trouble dealing with my audio out of my tv and feeding it to my PM6006. Currently, there is only an HDMI (ARC) and a digital out via fiber on my tv. Is there a sane way to convert the audio from HDMI to SPDIF/Coax? Should I get a separate preamp? I've been on a Digital audio kick lately, and I've tried connecting using multiple optical fiber connectors. The BJC, I recently bought had the same problems as a cable I bought off Amazon. It Randomly pops and cuts out. I've tried adjusting the settings to PCM etc..., but it seems like the solution is to somehow use the HDMI out. Any suggestions?

2. haibane

haibane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any thoughts?

3. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have the same concerns. I am getting all of my audio from my nvidia box to tv, then tv to inegrated.
    Fortunately, i have rca outputs on my main tv, and the sound coming from that on-board dac is equal in quality to my yamaha blu-ray.
    On another tv though, i have an optical out only. I have used a fiio dac d07 with success for the past 5 years. It does decode all 5.1 and 7.1 formats in addition to pcm. I have not had a problem with it.
    Fiio may not make the d07 anymore, but parts-express has an identical one for $25. That may solve the interuptions you are getting.. Let the dac do all conversions instead of the tv.
    Similarly, Hdmi to rca converters do exist but i have never used one.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You need a HDMI de-embedder. There are many available at different price points. Models from Kanex Pro seem to be popular with forum members, e.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Pro-Embedder-2-Channel-HAECOAX/dp/B009KAU0WO/

but there are cheaper alternatives, and there are also models with 4k video support if that is important to you.

Search the Hardware forum for reports from owners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.