Headphone amp (and possibly DAC/amp) for computer/guitar modeling processor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

This isn't a typical "What's the best headphone amp under $__" question. I am trying to get my head around how to think about headphone amps (and possibly a DAC/amp) in two particular applications.

I have been using headphones while on my computer, working at home these days, and also when I play guitar through my Line 6 HX Stomp (a guitar amp modeling processor). I am using closed back headphones nowadays because it avoids bothering others around me, and when I play guitar with the HX Stomp, it blocks out the sound of my unamplified strings, so I only hear the amp through the headphones.

I am using closed back Focal Elegia headphones. They are 35 ohms, so pretty easy to drive, even with a smartphone.

I am wondering if getting an inexpensive headphone amp could offer some sonic improvements. For working at my computer, I think I may be better off getting something like an Audioquest Dragonfly, as I could just connect my headphones to my computer with that (instead of dealing with two-channel RCA outs to the headphone amp). I would also be able to use a Dragonfly for my smartphone when I am out and about, so that's a big bonus.

As for the HX Stomp, I am debating whether I need any real sonic improvements, and what a headphone amp would even do for that device. It is possible to hook up TRS (or TS) to RCA cables for that, and possibly even a USB digital output. It is a modeling amp processor for electric guitar, so ideally you want something neutral that doesn't mess with the sound (whereas you may have different goals for listening to music).

I am looking around at some options for headphones amps (and possibly DAC/amp) under $200. Could push it up to $400 if I'm convinced something will be great. Also interested in being educated if I'm looking at the wrong thing that would be best for these applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.