Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2015 edition.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've been using cans lately for a complicated project I'm working on. My trusty two are:

Sennheiser HD 600, Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cable, CIAudio VHP-2 and VAC-1 power supply.

AKG K 701, Ken Ball ALO cable, Woo Audio WA5 headphone amplifier.

What about you? Do you use headphones, if so, what kind? Also, do you use a dedicated headphone amp (recommended) or just the headphone jack on your receiver?

Thanks!

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Just getting into headphones. I've had HD600's for a couple months, and my Audeze LCD-2's arrived yesterday (still getting used to the weight). Power them with a Schiit Lyr 2 I got last week.

Not surprising to hear you using the HD600's for what I'd assume to be mastering work - they might be about the most neutral audio product I've ever heard IMO.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I use Audeze LCD 3 headphones, with a Woo Audio WA-6se headphone amp driven by a Wavelength Cosecant DAC with headless Mac Mini. On the road, I use my iPhone or iPod with a Centrance HiFiM8.

Head-Fi is good fun - very personal listening experience. The Woo amp is great - the WA 5 must be a joy!

jerico and kevinsinnott like this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Shure SRH440, CAD 310 via headphone jack from receiver

5. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Sennheiser HD-650, Cardas cable, HeadRoom Max headphone amp.

6. Shure SRH840's run through my Asus Xonar Essence STX Headphone amp (soundcard)

7. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I don't use headphones very often and mine aren't exactly high end but they're cordless which is convenient
    Sennheiser HDR-170

8. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Sennheiser 650 and Schiit Valhalla amp

9. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Bowers&Wilkins P7s. Looking into headphone amps.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Just tonight I did a bunch of the common mods to my $100 Grado SR80i's. These headphones are known to be rather bass-lite and bright in their stock configuration, and so are a popular modding platform.

First I did the 'quarter mod' to the 'comfy pads' - you press a quarter down onto the center of the pads and trace/cut with an Xacto. Next I removed the protective cloth mesh that covers the drivers. This opened up the treble, but totally sucked out what little bass the Grados had to begin with.

Next I used a hairdryer to separate the cans and poked holes in four of the ten membrane-covered openings around the driver, allowing them to vent. This improves the Grados' bass response. Lastly, I put a blob of BlueTak on the backs of the drivers to dampen them and stuck an adhesive-backed felt dot on the backs of the plastic buttons that indicates the model number, to prevent resonances. The whole procedure took maybe 15-20 minutes.

BIG improvement! Now these Grados have punchy, tight bass and very airy highs. I might shell out $20 and get the thicker donut-shaped L-Cush pads, which are said to be an upgrade.

Here's a detailed thread on the same mods that I did: http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Laptop > WASAPI/Spotify> Geek Out 450 USB dongle/DAC > Sennheiser HD 558

Sounds amazing.

Front 242 Addict, npc210 and ogbbv like this.
  12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Grado RS1i or PS500 through Grado RA1. The RS1i is stunning with acoustic music, jazz and a lot of rock. Excellent with vocals, especially female.

The PS500 is a little more forgiving and is tilted towards the bass more so than most Grados I have heard.

I'm not sure how the RA1 performs with other headphones but it has a real synergy with the Grado's.

13. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Bose headphones

coffeetime and VINYLFREAK1978 like this.
  14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

LCD-2 for home. Grado GS1000 at work. Grado GR-10 for the road.

15. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

HD 600s. Have had them since around 2000. I don't use them much anymore since buying the AN J. I want AN to make headphones but it might look weird having little rectangle Russian Birch boxes attached to my head.

timind and Metralla like this.
  16. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Steve, that’s interesting that you’ve been been using cans lately....

I’ve been using:
    Sony MDR-7506
    Grado RS2e
    Grado SR80e

I had to start using headphones for work (editing) last year. Since going freelance, I’ve been in environments that require headphones.
    Amp is a Leckerton UHA 6S MkII...

The Sonys are for when I need something with lots of isolation, but the 80e’s are my everyday work ‘phone - the 2e’s for checking mixes...
    The portable amp is a must - I'm constantly adjusting volume due to different audio sources with various volume levels, so I need on-the-fly volume. Plus it sounds a lot better than the output from a computer...

No Static likes this.
  17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Lately I've been using the Bowers & Wilkins P7's, but I've also got a pair of Sennheiser 650s and a pair of AKG K1000 headphones. I'm also planning on getting my old Jecklin Float headphones re-foamed.

For headphone amps, I currently use the Meridian Explorer for my laptop, an April Stello preamp/headphone amp at work, and a HeadRoom Maxed Out Home amp at my apartment.

18. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

I almost exclusively use headphones now. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 600, Hifiman HE 400, and the Mad Dog modded Fostex cans by Mr. Speakers. I use a Schiit Vali sometimes but I'm generally always using my recapped Kenwood KA-3500. Most 70's integrateds and receivers have excellent headphone outs I've noticed. I'll probably sell the other cans and keep my Senns, they are perfect. :D

Front 242 Addict and cjc like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I do a lot of work after hours when my kids are sleeping, can't use speakers..

20. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Sony HDR-7509 but mostly for location video work. I've just never gotten used to the "music in the middle of my skull" feeling.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  21. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

HD600s have killer bass, just listen to an original pressing of Tin Pan Alley on those things.:D

I liked my Shure SRH840s but the damn thing broke.:(

22. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I'm using Grado SR325i's headphones with a Graham Slee Solo headphone amp
    with my computer based system and AKG Q701's for my electronic drum kit.

23. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

24. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    AudiophilePhil likes this.
  25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Adore my Sennheiser 600s using Schitt Audio DACs and Amps. Currently in the market for a great pair of closed cans for passive isolation while working near my wife.