Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2019-21 edition.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RJL2424, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Wired:

Audeze LCD-X
    Audeze iSine 20
    Sennheiser HD-600
    Grado RS-1
    Grado HP-1

Bluetooth:

Sony WH-1000XM3
    Airpods

Bill Why Man likes this.
  2. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

Presently enjoying the synergy between Tuba and Sundara... :)

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock and Bill Why Man like this.
  3. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Has anybody listened to and/or bought the Sennheiser 820s? They look amazing. Have watched a few reviews and generally seems like people like it, but I'm not sure what has been the best set-up with it (DAC, amp, etc).

4. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I grabbed a pair of Senn HD650s from here on the classifieds. They sound pretty good with my Rega Dac-R as the source, nice & lively. But powering them from the headphone amp in my Parasound HINT has them sounding a little on the anemic side, especially in the bass dept.

Monoprice had an open box Liquid Platinum amp so I just ordered that. I’m excited to hear what they can do when properly driven.

Also got an arctic cables balanced cable to make full use of the LP.

Boomy and Ham Sandwich like this.
  5. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Did you receive your LP and what do you think of the combination with a HD650?

6. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I did, and I’m enjoying the combo so far. It’s still breaking in and I haven’t had a lot of time to listen, but I’m liking the sound.

7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

My dad had almost the same headphones back in the day. His were probably the next model up I'm guessing. They had what I believe were tone control knobs on both cans.

LitHum05 likes this.
  8. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 599's yesterday. This'll be my first set of open headphones (and my first Sennheisers since getting the HD 203 several years ago). I'm looking forward to hearing these!

9. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Bought the Tin Audio T2 IEM’s. Stunning performance for ~$40.00. Relaxed presentation with airy treble and large soundstage.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I am not a great fan of headphones at home because I'm not limited by volume where I live. That said, I do have a pair of Grado SR80E's and have thought about getting a pair of the RS2E's just because I like their looks.

erowid likes this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD 6xx arrived yesterday and I’ve been listening almost non-stop via Qobuz > Modi/Magni 3 stack. I like what I am hearing so far.

12. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I have a 5th gen ipod (Wolfram dac) playing through a Neco soundlab amp into the magnificent Sennheisers HD 25 I II's.
    These headphones have never ceased to amaze me.
    I have never felt the need to change them even after 20+ years of use. Two pairs owned.

13. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

was out of the headphone game for many years... this year i picked up some sennheiser HD-600's.... got them used. but in like new condition... for a fraction of the price of a new pair... also had a special headphone extension cable made by proAudio LA... a few months later i broke the headphone jack on my preamp... and so i'm bringing that in to get repaired today... my Sonic Frontiers preamp has a Headroom headphone module built in... so prior to me breaking the connector... it was like having a separate, really nice headphone amp... i'm excited to get it fixed and get back up and running... not psyched for a week w/ no amplification but i'll survive...

14. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

A pair of Sony MDR-Z1R headphones, replacing a pair of Focal Clear headphones from last year.

Better build quality than the Focal 'phones; far better comfort - and a sound signature I much prefer.

Boomy and jusbe like this.
  15. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Bad news: My team at work is moving from offices to an open plan environment next month. :mad::shake::cry:

Good news: In preparation for this apocalypse, I ordered a set of Focal Stellia closed-back headphones so I can drown out the noise and replace it with pleasing music. They will arrive next week:

[​IMG]

I already have a set of Sony WH-1000XM3 noise canceling headphones, but they are far from audiophile quality, especially because I am constrained to Apple products with mediocre AAC Bluetooth codecs. I don't like listening to them for more than an hour or two at a time. Being unconstrained by wires is nice, though, so I'll certainly keep them in the office for occasional use as well.

All my other headphones are open-back and useless in a noisy setting.

Big T, LitHum05, groovelocked and 2 others like this.
  16. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

Grado SRe60s
    AKG K240 Studios
    Panasonic HT21s for my pc

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I've ordered a Burson 3X balanced DAC/headphone amp/preamp to go with the Neumann NDH20 and the Beyerdynamic T1 gen. 2 headphones. Sounds like it might be a jump up from the older Mytek DSD 192 DAC/headphone amp/preamp.

18. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I also tried a Sony XM3 at the office to isolate me from the background noise at the office and it was a big fail. I found the XM3 uncomfortable to wear and mine were also outgassing some unpleasant smell. The sound quality wasn't great either and the ANC was more suitable for dealing with cyclic noise than voice chatter. I sold them and kept using my old Sony HD380 Pro headphones which might not look stylish but due to the huge ear cups are very comfortable to wear and isolate very well.

Bungo likes this.
  19. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I have had a pair of AKG 702's for some time but have never been happy. Too edgy and harsh for me.

I recently replaced them with Sony MDR-Z7M2's. This sound profile (and overall quality of sound) is much more to my liking. Also having closed back cans is much more family friendly.

I drive both of them with a Cayin HA-1A amp.

20. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Sennheiser HD 660 S at home and HD 100's at work.

[​IMG]

21. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD 300... good recordings sound fine...'bad' ones still sound bad...IOW seem to be fairly flat. Bass is well controlled for headphones.
    Good isolation and very comfy ...cable on the short side, you need an extension.
    Inexpensive too...paid around £150 for 'em.

22. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

Apple really falls short on that front. I've got the Sony WH-H900N h.ear on 2 noise cancelling which are quite good, and especially useful for plane trips and other noisy environments. My Pixel 3 XL supports Sony's LDAC which gets much closer to CD quality than AAC for sure. Audiophile? No. As good as my home office setup (using a Surface to feed FLAC files -> SMSL DAC -> Liquid Spark -> HD6XX phones)? Clearly not. But still pretty decent for kicking around the house or when my wife & I are on a trip.

Bungo likes this.
  23. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yes these are excellent! Almost as good as my much more expensive full sized cans.

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Curious to hear your thoughts. Never tried a Focal but I've been thinking about the Elex and Elegia.

25. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Just bought Sony WF-1000XM3 True Wireless Noise Canceling In-Ear Headphones in Silver. They're now $200 so I figured it was a good time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.