Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2019-21 edition.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RJL2424, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I've had Sennheiser HD 6xx for a year now. Currently on the lookout for a nice headphone amp to help them out.

2. The Schiit Valhalla 2 might be worth something checking out. It’s a great complement to the Sennheiser HD600.

3. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a closer look.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

A few to add to the list....
    Rupert Neve Designs Headphone Amplifier RNHP Headphone Amplifier
    SPL Phonitor XE Phonitor xe – SPL
    Burson Audio Conductor 3/3X Conductor 3

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Eddie Current Zana Deux :D

spacecoyote and ti-triodes like this.
  6. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

A bit OT but maybe you help me here: I've heard on several occasions that tubes amplifiers are a more natural match to the HD600/650/6XX than SS. Do you have any experience with this combination and can you explain how it differs from a hybrid amp like the Cavalli LP?

7. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Scheisse Bitfrost-> Scheisse Valhalla 2 -> Senn HD650.

Sony ZX300 DAP -> Sony IER-M7 via balanced connection.

8. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

what happened to headphones? i remember years ago, the most expensive one that came up was the sennheiser hd650, i thought people were nuts for putting so much money into a headphone... then later i read about a headphone for $1000 or even more, who on earth would pay so much i thought.... now im not sure there's an upper limit? and people pay as much for their everyday commute headphones as the audiophile high end hd650 back then.

Swann36 and Spica like this.
  9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

This is what my 600's are paired with and sounds fantastic together.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

I was having some fun with the Zana Deux suggestion. It's out of production and only available used now. And is likely much more expensive than Liquid77 would want to spend. Though with a name like Liquid77 I should have probably suggested one of the Cavalli liquid series of amps.

The Zana Deux is a full tube OTL amp. And a special one at that. Tube amps of that style and caliber can do a big headstage that is all outside your head. Not only big, but deep. The Zana Deux has a deep headstage that is noticeably out in front of your head. It makes the Liquid Platinum sound flat and two dimensional. The Zana Deux and other amps of that style and caliber are really pretty neat. And those styles of OTL amps pair well with higher impedance headphones like the HD600/HD650 and HD800.

Claude Benshaul likes this.
  11. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Have a pair of Ultrasone Edition 11 arriving tomorrow...

[​IMG]

and to power them I have a 4-channel DACS HeadLite studio amplifier on the way (also arriving same day, can life get any better :D )

[​IMG]

rocnred likes this.
  12. Obviously

Obviously Member

I’m finished I think? It’s taken years but I guess I’m done.

Right now I use a Sony Walkman 1Z and Noble Audio Encore Universal for most Metal and Rock.

For OSTs and EDM the Sony IER-Z1R.

Once in a while the 1Z gets put in the dock joining it to the Sony Signature TA desktop amp/DAC for the MDR Z1R or the Encore or IER-Z1R.

jusbe likes this.
  13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

You should smile, you lucky dog!

14. Ham Sandwich

I don't have a Zana Deux. If I did I would be smiling that that while listening to the Senns.

I have been able to hear the Zana Deux at meets. Tube amps that do that sort of big and deep headstage are really neat.

Bill Why Man and ti-triodes like this.
  15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I hear you. I heard the Zana Deux a few years ago and fell in lust. That’s why I picked up a ZDT,jr from Massdrop this year. Let’s just say Junior is nothing like daddy!

16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Picked up the Audeze LCD-1 last week and so far I am really liking what I m hearing. I am running them out of the headphone output of my Vincent SV237-MK. I also have a Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp but do not like the sound of it. The Vincent blows away the Schiit in terms of sound quality. Prior to the Audeze, my primary headphone was the Senn HD-600. Still going back and forth between the 2 and they are pretty close with a little more detail with the Audeze. Still need to get more time in with the LCD-1 before making a final determination.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rocnred, Steve Lawrence and luckyno13 like this.
  17. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Posted in another thread but these are my week old Ultrasone Edition Eleven. Much nicer than my old HD-600 - comfort is lovely, and the sound is really nice, warm, musical.

[​IMG]

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Main system - Redbook CD to McIntosh D100 to HD800. Still sounds great. May be upgrading the D100 in early 2020 (McInstosh D1100 or Bryston BDA3.14+ BHP1)

PC/Den set up - Flac to Woo WA7 to HD650. w/ Cardas cable. All work well; no changes planned.

19. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Desktop Spotify streaming system, all secondhand stuff:

Sennheiser HD650
    Burson Soloist SL MK2
    Schiit Modi Multibit
    iFi iUSB 2 and iFi USB cables

The iFi rig was the last thing I added and up to that point, I was fairly disappointed with the whole set up. It sounded fine, but I assumed it was up against the limit of what Spotify could provide.

I got a deal on the used iFi stuff and took a waiver on it out of curiosity - zero USB audio experience so I was verrrry skeptical of the iFi marketing. The iUSB improved things greatly across the board, I would go so far to say that it is a necessity for a USB-based system. Went from "fine" to engaging, resolving, and fun.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  20. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I had to make some decisions this week.

Firstly I decided that the Neumann NDH20 are probably not suitable for me. Everything I've seen leads me to the conclusion that the ear-cups are too small for my ears and therefore I'll be better staying with my old Sennheiser HD380 Pro at the office. I ordered new pads and a new headband cushion which should be enough to keep them working for the next couple years. Worst case scenario is that I'll use the Mobius.

Then there is the issue with the HIFIMAN XX edition and my continuous displeasure bordering on outright hostility I feel toward them. There isn't a single thing there that doesn't manage to irritate me, starting with the built quality which while acceptable for the @150$ HE4XX feels shoddy on a 600$ headphone. Then there is the 90 degrees angle of the headphone jack, which serve no purpose except making it more difficult to use, which may not be such a bad thing because the whole cable is a scandal. The wire is both stiff and limp and the cable jacket is made from some kind of weird polymer which feels disgustingly slimy. Seriously, touching it is like petting a slug. Finally there is the fact that I can't use them because the combination of very large teardrop shaped ear-cups and the old style headband results in them hanging loosely below my jawline. I can't even form an opinion about how they sound because there is no way I can achieve a good seal around my ears so they are basically useless for me, except perhaps if I cover them with some fake fur they'll allow me to impersonate an angry and grumpy Labrador. And yet they have so much potential and I was really enthusiastic when they were first offered on Massdrop.

So I ordered a new headband. I hope it will manage to clamp them tighter and higher on my head and that I'll like them enough to replace the revolting cable they came with.

But I can't really complain because I have other headphones I love at home and considering that I have 3 headphones from Massdrop and the XX edition are the only one I truly dislike I should also admit that without Massdrop I would never have been able to try and sample so many headphones without turning this interest into a financial blackhole.

21. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I just dug out my Sony MDR Z1R's from the closet and gave them a turn with the Buson Soloist. These are great headphones!

mikedifr0923, Boomy and jusbe like this.
  22. John Buchanan

Still waiting for the new Burson Conductor 3X :sigh:

23. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I've been listening to them over the past week.

On good recordings, they're amazing - probably the most detailed headphones I've listened to but without any of the bass shyness or fatiguing harsh high end that often accompany such detailed reproduction. In fact, the bass is very nice; ample but tight and nimble.

On not-so-good recordings, they can be pretty unforgiving! These are definitely not headphones like the Sennheiser HD-600 or Grado HP-1, both of which make everything sound good even if it doesn't deserve to. :D

I can't always predict what's going to sound good or bad through the Stellia. Some recordings that I thought weren't all that great actually sound very good through these, whereas others that I thought were OK can sound thin or strident.

Overall I'm really pleased to add these to my collection, but I would caution that they are not a "jack of all trades" set of headphones due to their unforgiving nature.

For reference, here are the other headphones I own and know very well: Sennheiser HD-600, Grado HP-1, Grado RS-1, Audeze LCD-X. Source material is lossless ripped CDs, Tidal, and Qobuz. Have listened to the Stellia through Bluesound Node 2i connected to a Gilmore Lite amp, and also through an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt via iPhone. They appear to be pretty easy to drive and sound quite good driven by both of these systems.

bcaulf and Tartifless like this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have Focal Clear headphones, snapped them for a very good price and LOVE THEM !

25. John Buchanan

Listening now to the brand new Burson Audio Conductor 3X with the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 headphones - nicely controlled top end of the Beyerdynamics. They sound like a turboed version without being "crispy" or "punchy". Super-fast dynamics, just as they should sound. Very happy with this purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.