Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2019-21 edition.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RJL2424, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I think you're dead on with the Luxman. The Schiit reviews are all over the place, and that dude that does the charts and graphs doesn't seem to like some of their measurables (at least their DAC's, which I'm not using), but I figured for $400 I can listen for myself. Its being delivered Saturday, so I'll have some impressions within the week.

2. Philips SHP9500s

Is there better sounding headphones?
    Yes absolutely.
    Am I gonna pay 3-5 times the amount for a 5-10% increase in sound quality?
    No bloody way!!!

timind and Slimwhit33 like this.
  3. Sunflower

Sunflower Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Sennheiser HD 25-1 I, beat to hell but still sound great.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

5. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD 650, HD 580
    Grado SR 125
    Graham Slee Solo Reference with PSU1 power supply.

The question I need to ask myself is just how much do I want the HD 800s?

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  6. Slimwhit33

YOLO.. don't deny yourself!

SBurke likes this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

A lot. They are incredible. Ever heard them?

caracallac likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I got the HD 6XX at the beginning of last year, my first pair of nicer headphones. Since then I’ve been slowly researching and trying out some headphone amps and DACs in an effort to get the most out of them. I didn’t have any experience or good options for auditioning so it’s been a learning process.

I started with a JDS Labs Atom amp and a Schiit Modi 3 which is a nice starter stack. I’d originally intended to pair the Modi 3 with an entry level Schiit amp but I read a lot of good things about the Atom so I decided to give that a try. I used that combination for six months or so; I liked them both but I never felt like the HD 6XX were living up to everything I’d read about them. I also tried the Atom with a Topping D50 that I’d been using for something else and that was good too, but I came to the same conclusion.

Eventually I got in on a Drop for the much praised THX AAA 789 amp, hoping that the additional power and multiple input and output options would make it easier to find the right combination for the HD 6XX. I do like its functionality and versatility. Using single ended input and output with the DACs mentioned above I didn’t really notice that much difference from the Atom amp, which is to the Atom’s credit. So I decided to get a balanced cable for the HD 6XX and also try a balanced DAC (while understanding that the THX AAA 789 isn’t fully balanced).

The balanced cable I definitely liked; that was a nice addition. There are a few balanced DACs that are frequently mentioned in 789 discussions so I picked one of those, the Topping D70. While it was a noticeable improvement over the Modi 3 and Topping D50 I still didn’t feel like this combination was quite what I was looking for, so I returned the D70.

Then a couple months ago I got a Denafrips Ares II DAC to use in my main system, and out of curiosity I connected it to the 789 so I could try it with the HD 6XX. Wow, this was more what I had in mind. R2R may not be for everyone but I really liked the way the 6XX sounded with it. However my main system is in a different room and I hadn’t planned on spending that much for my headphone system (which is in my home office) so that sent me looking for similar options.

Which brought me back to Schiit. I’d always been curious about their multibit DACs but when I first started this process I wasn’t ready to go there budget wise (be it through separates or one of their amps with a multibit card). Now I was and I was just about to get a Modi Multibit to try it out, but I stopped myself because what I really wanted was the new Bifrost 2 that I’d been reading about. I hadn’t planned to spend that much but I just had a feeling I’d like the Modi Multibit and end up moving up X months later anyway, and I’d already done a lot of that.

So I bought a Bifrost 2 which arrived a week or so ago. It’s still early days but I really like it, and the new modular design will allow for easy upgrades in the future. I haven’t done any direct comparisons with the Ares II because they are in different rooms and need to stay warmed up, etc. But regardless I like them both and am glad to have them both for different purposes.

I’ve still never heard a Schiit amp and I’d be very curious to try the HD 6XX and Bifrost 2 with a hybrid or tube amp be that from Schiit or someone else like Cavalli. But I’m going to enjoy them with the 789 for a while and see how things evolve.

I could certainly have saved myself some time and effort by moving up the chain right from the start, but as a headphone novice I’ve needed to take it in steps. Plus the HD 6XX are $200 headphones so I didn’t want to get carried away with the system. But there’s no point in any of it if they don’t sound how I like.

It’s also been fun trying out different options and the Modi 3, D50 and Atom are popular so it was easy to sell them at a small loss, well worth it for both the learning experience and several months of enjoyable use. More than anything I’m learning about my own personal preferences which has been very helpful.

9. at work, I used closed AT-M50x sometimes with a dragonfly black dac, or just a DAP (Pono, or Pioneer). At home, I have HiFiman HE-4xx usually just straight into amp, sometimes with a DAP and appj tube headphone amp.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Check the regional meet-ups forum section on head-fi to see if there are any meets in your general area. Meets are a great way to get to hear some different amps and headphones and find out what kinds of setups tickle your personal sound preferences.
    Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers

Slimwhit33, thomaskong and adamos like this.
  11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks, I’ll check that out. I’ve been following a few discussion threads there but hadn’t looked for local meetups.

As a side note I got my balanced cable for the HD 6XX from Custom Cans because I came across a thread here where you’d recommended them. I really like it and it’s well made.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  12. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Yes, I've heard them briefly and they seem to be everything that a great headphone should be. But if I'm upgrading anything this year I think that my digital front end has first call. It'll be a matter of juggling the budget...

13. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Got my dream headphone amp and finally got all the tubes figured out for it. WA5LE with Takatsuki 300b's/ Shug cv181-T's/Sophia Electric 274B's. I tried using NOS green print Sylvania 6sn7GT's with it for a while, but was rather unsatisfied with them. Noisy as hell(sounded like the freakin dial-up sound REEE EEE), microphonic, and had noticeable frequency response/detail issues. The CV-181s work SO much better and have pretty much sold me on these modern Chinese tubes. Better frequency response/less noise/more clarity/etc. The headphones are Focal Elears(probably not worthy of this amp haha, but will be upgraded later)
    [​IMG]

14. Slimwhit33

Awesome!

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That dude should start using his ears for a change.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

Nice! That amp will allow you to explore a variety of headphones that will pair well with it. It has enough power and oomph for headphones like the Abyss and enough power at 200 ohms for the 200 ohm version of the LCD-4. The ZMF headphones will be easy for it to drive. A lot of good options for good headphone pairing with that amp.

300b tube amps scare my wallet. But I want to hear them. I haven't been able to hear the Woo WA5 yet. I've been able to hear a few other 300b headphone amps. All were very nice with the tube sonic holography thing going on.

Razakoz likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good match for the headphone out in a fisher 400? Moving on to a dedicated amp is a possibility but making use of my 400 is the priority. Keeping a budget around $500 is my preference but I’m open to a reasonable case to be made for more.

18. Ham Sandwich

If you're still curious about trying Sylvania tubes, JAC-MUSIC has the 7N7 version of the Sylvania 6SN7-GTB and with green print. The 7N7 tubes are compatible with 6SN7 when used with an adapter. Woo makes a 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter for $40. It's a better quality adapter than what JAC-Music sells.

I have the JAC-Music Sylvania 7N7 tubes to try in my amp (Cavalli Liquid Glass) along with the Woo adapters. It was something I needed to try. Cause I was curious. Didn't turn out to be the right sonic fit for me with my amp. But you never know till you try. The JAC-Music 7N7 tubes are quiet and likely better than what you can find in NOS Sylvania 6SN7-GTB tubes now. Worth a try if you're curious and if other people with that amp suggest it as a good tube choice.

With my Cavalli amp I've ended up mostly using the Psvane CV181-TII tubes. Funny to end up mostly using a new production tube with that amp.

19. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Hmm I might try it down the road, but for now I think I'm set with the CV181-T's. I've yet to find anything that sounds comparably good, and it's nice to use all modern production tubes when possible. The Takatsuki' were still pretty pricey, but at least they're not unobtanium or anything. They made a noticeable difference over the stock Psvane 300B's, so I'd consider them worth the expense. At this point I think I'm done messing around with the tubes and I gotta save up for some worthy headphones. The Elears aren't 'bad' by any stretch, but I know this amp is capable of much more. Any good headphone recommendations for someone who likes mostly rock(old and new)/metal/electronic stuff? Budget would be somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range, but if something is truly worth it I'll save up for later.

20. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Just taken delivery of a World Designs HD3S headphone amp, my first headphone amp with valves in (it uses a pair of ECL 83). Only a very brief listen with a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 so far, on the 16 - 50 Ohm setting of the amp, but the brief listen was very encouraging.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Headphones: AudioQuest HighHawks and NightOwls, Audeze LCD-1, AKG K701 and Shure E500 IEM's (for traveling). Headphone amps: Original Electronic Master and AudioQuest Red and Cobalt (for portable/computer use). Looking for a better standalone headphone amp (under a grand).

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Well after some helpful advice from @Ham Sandwich in another thread I decided to get a Monolith Liquid Platinum headphone amplifier (which is currently on sale at Monoprice). I’ve been very curious to try a hybrid tube amp with my HD 6XX and Bifrost 2 DAC and this seemed like a great option within my budget.

I’ve only had it a few days but I really like it so far and the sound has a certain quality that I find appealing. I’m not sure I can describe it well but the combination feels a bit smoother than with my THX AAA 789 without seeming rolled off. And there’s something that pulls me in and makes me want to listen more (beyond it just being a new toy although I acknowledge that could be part of it). It’s very early on so I’ll avoid any further proclamations but I’m pretty sure it’s a keeper.

I’m using the stock tubes which are still burning in so we’ll see how things evolve over time. From what I’ve read opinions on those tubes are mixed so I’ll eventually try something else (even just for fun and the learning experience). But I’d like to get to know the amp better as-is before making any changes. Also as I understand it the Liquid Platinum isn’t really a tube rolling amp anyway so I don’t want to get carried away.

ti-triodes, chaz, DonnyMe and 3 others like this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Audeze Lcd2 with Rudistor Nx03 amp

24. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Congratulation on your purchase! It's similar to the combination I use in the living room and I admit that I often fall asleep while listening to the HD6XX through the LP, because there is something there that help me relax and get absorbed by the music.

mikedifr0923 and adamos like this.
  25. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

All new to me late last year / this year:

Koss ESP/95x
    Audeze LCD 3 Pre-Fazor
    HiFiMan HE-400 (modded) (competes with $1K+ headphones EASILY)
    AQ Nighthawk Carbon

The LCD-3 was a hassle to get. First, a guy sold me a LCD-3 Fazor (not pre-fazor) and I had to fight with him to refund me until he actually confirmed with Audeze I wasn't ripping him off. Then the second LCD-3 I purchased got lost with FedEx and they eventually found it and shipped it to me.

Zellous and bcaulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.