Headphones listening or Loudspeakers ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by P3ESRXD, Aug 4, 2022.

1. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

The trick is to play some Yoko Ono for 3 minutes, all the bacteria die off and never return.

SBurke, brucej4, vconsumer and 2 others like this.
  2. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Question; if one has a decent "modern" integrated Amp with a headphone output, is it still a recommendation to use an external headphone amp in general? I'd assume my integrated is doing the job well but with all the talk of dedicated headphone amps it makes me question.

SBurke likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have two systems with headphone playback in them, one only headphone, one headphone and speakers. My main system is speakers only.

I moved to headphone listening out of necessity. For a spell in a "town home" while I was spending most of my time at my parents' home five minutes away taking care of them I really only had time to listen very early in the morning or later at night, and I had a neighbor who didn't like speakers playing at that time. I found that with good headphones and a great headphone amp I could get great sound. After that I married and again headphone listening was a requisite at times and I found that I could expand my listening hours with headphones and liked that a lot.

Matching headphones to an amp is really important. I have a really good match for each of my two pairs of headphones now: a Decware CSP3 (with 25th Anniversary mods) and my Sennheiser HD800S, and a Decware Taboo MK IV amp with my ZMF Ori. Both these systems also include a Decware ZROCK2 which really is the icing on the cake, letting me dial in a sound I really really enjoy listening to.

I'm mindful of volume. . . and the nice thing about these two setups is that lower volume listening is full and rather good as far as sound-stage and image.

5. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

Due some of the constraints mentioned in previous posts, my HiFi gets very little use and I'm about to rectify that situation. I've purchased an Audioengine BFi to plug into my venerable (but still excellent) amp so that I can stream CD quality music from my PC. I'll put a comfy chair in place and find out if I can get back into using a speaker system.

6. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

Only you can answer that question since it heavily dictated by your expectations.
    Which amplifier do you use right now?

7. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have Thread Starter

I'd say with my experiences that, you must try it out.

Details of this below.
    I have tape (K7 player Oh!) with headphone output, when I listen with headphones, the sound is better than when I use the same music + headphone and Linn Intek amp's headphone output jack.
    Same with my CD players, so my old Intek pre-amp phone which is not bad with records may not be as good as it should be.

8. attym

attym Forum Resident

I just started to listen to digital (mostly CDs) through headphones when I can’t listen to records through speakers. I’m amazed how good it sounds.

SBurke likes this.
  9. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

The insurmountable obstacle for headphones is the inability to create a stereo image. Your ears need to hear both channels with a slight phase discrepancy to make that solid image.

headphones for monitoring, speakers for listening.

SBurke likes this.
  10. P3ESRXD

Having the two types of sources, I can not say the same as digital with headphones and LP/K7 with speakers,
    for me having tried out different sources with headphones/speakers with good devices, the quality of the sources can be heard NOT depending on the hardware digital/analog/speakers/headphones.

11. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I used to listen to music through headphones as a kid and always thought it was better. As I got older, I ditched the headphones and only ever listened through speakers. Today I listened through headphones for the first time in over 36 years and WOW ! Absolutely loved it. Need some advice on good headphones now ! My listening seating area is about 5m from my amp. So I'd need long cable on the headphones. Only listen to vinyl, so maybe that's a factor to think about as well.

SBurke likes this.
  12. P3ESRXD

Mark, my headphones have only 3m cable plenty enough for me.
    Never use longer cable again after trying 3m (= 6m total) more so long time ago which degraded the sound, not acceptable for me.
    Maybe with progress in cables/connections now we have better extention cables.
    To be tried out.

Mark Shred likes this.
  13. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into it. I might get away with 3.5m if I shift the furniture a bit.

14. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

If your headphone has a detachable cable, you can get someone to build you a longer one.

Mark Shred likes this.
  15. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

My HD-6XX and my speakers are both great. I have a lot of high-frequency loss in my right ear, so with speakers the center image tends to drift toward the left. If I want the center image to stay anchored, headphones are a better bet.

TimB and SBurke like this.
  16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Back in the late 80s as a kid I remember the revelation of saving up my paper route cash for a pair of headphone from RadioShack to use with my Walkman. My cassettes never sounded so good. Headphone listening was my only mode for a while until I got a boom box. Even then the headphones sounded better. I could hear things that just didn’t come through on the boom box.

By the time I got to high school (a few sets of headphones later) I was moving on to CDs and eventually saved up enough for a proper stereo. It went through a couple of iterations but I wasn’t happy until I landed on a setup that got me that same level of detail I was getting out of my cans.

I’ve always had a soft spot for headphones ever since. AKG K812 and K872 were the most expensive cans I ever had but I’ve sold them off for a modest pair of HD58x since I just don’t listen via headphones anymore. They’re good in a pinch when the house is sleeping in or I’m staying up late but I’m a speaker guy 99% of the time now. I’m getting loads of detail like a good pair of cans with the imaging and visceral impact that only speakers can give you.

Mark Shred likes this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I’m actually a little surprised the headphones don’t exacerbate that issue for you.

SBurke likes this.
  18. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I am too. You would think the ears would adjust better for location with loudspeakers in front of them, than with sound pumped separately into each ear. I miss a little detail from the right, but the imaging seems pretty precise.

SBurke likes this.
  19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I prefer my speakers and was spoiled during the pandemic working from home and being able to sit in front of them to work. Before being sent home, I used noise canceling headphones at work and liked them just fine… but returning to the office, the noise canceling Bluetooth headphones just weren’t cutting it anymore. So I saved and purchased a nice pair of closed back planars and a Schiit stack. It absolutely improved things and now find myself not wanting to take them off because the music sounds so good. But I still can’t wait to come home and put on music that I discovered with the office headphones on the main rig with my speakers.

TimB likes this.
  20. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite, also with 6xx headphones. Even my older set of Bowers and Wilkins floorstanders in relatively near-field listening are more of an arm's-length experience than the headphones.

21. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

May we know your headphone setup, like which amplifier that you use with it.

22. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

My Arcam integrated has what is supposed to be a better-quality headphone output, but I still bought a Schiit Asgard for my 6xx, which I think is an improvement.

imsjry likes this.
  23. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

It's in my profile... and in my last post.

24. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

If I can, I prefer loudspeakers, headphones make my ears hot, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying them.

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

....and that is part of the technology behind the Phonitor headphone amplifiers.

Oelewapper, SBurke and pscreed like this.