Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Great sales pitch on the site, I'll give them that.

1000 quid this side of the pond, however...was interested until I saw the RRP. Might demo nevertheless.

2. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Heckto35 and LARGERTHAN like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Even if it cost 1/3 of that, you're still taking quite the risk in terms of its potential reliability, or lack thereof.

bever70 likes this.
  4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Gain setting for MM of 36db or 48db, are they having a laugh :rolleyes: ?

5. LakeMountain

Yes, that is a concern, however I wonder how many owners of the phono2 did have a problem?
    I am running my phono2 already for 2 years continuously and never had an issue.

6. Strat-Mangler

That's one person. Read through the thread for other experiences.

bever70 likes this.
  7. LakeMountain

Earlier reported problems are attributed to a faulty batch of power supplies. They replaced the faulty ones with the iPower AC/DC converter. I bought my iPhono2 just after this event. I had returned my first trial iPhono2 with the old PS, because of a hum, and when I was told that iFi had just upgraded the PS I bought the upgraded unit. This hopefully explains why my iPhono2 has been running faultlessly since then.

For the new iPhono3 I think I will give them the benefit of doubt and demo one. If it sounds even better than my iPhono2 for MC it will be very, very interesting. And, if they are the company they want to appear to be, it would be foolish to let such a QC error to happen twice. Also, their numerous other products seem to be of good quality.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Heckto35, LARGERTHAN and Nielsoe like this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I returned two faulty Iphono 2’s before deciding on a NVA, but the above makes sense.

LakeMountain likes this.
  9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

36 seems a bit low but wouldn't 48 be good for a lot of homc's?

10. bever70

Of course, but what about most MM's ?! These would require a 40db setting most of the time.

11. LakeMountain

Sorry to hear that you were unlucky. The iFi sounds great, if set up carefully (and when it is working:pleased:) but there are of course good alternatives in this price range.

12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I did get to listen to it for a short period before it stopped working and it does indeed sound very good. It appears that here in Denmark the 3 will be priced at around 1000£ (ca twice the amount I payed for the 2 through Amazon) so it should be a different beast altogether.

LakeMountain and Encore like this.
  13. LakeMountain

Here is a first review/impression of the iPhono3 BL. ifi iPhono 3 Black Label Phono Review – First Look
    In some aspects it seems a match with $4k phono amps (micro dynamics, soundstage), but in the mid range it is still a bit unpolished. It still needs a longer break-in to fully judge it.

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's about the same price as the Chord phono stage. This might be a good comparison. Also stages in the £1500 range such as MF M6 Vinyl and Goldnote PH10. Both these provide more convenient adjustment than dip switches and the MF will accommodate 3 arms/cartridges simultaneously. Goldnote also does historic curves as well if you have 1950s records. At the new price it's close to some stiff competition.

15. bever70

Gain setting for MM only between 36 and 48db ?! :rolleyes: !

PoeRaider and HiFi Guy like this.
  16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I certainly hope it’s more reliable than the iPhono 2 was. The price jump is pretty hefty too.

17. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

Heckto35 and LakeMountain like this.
  18. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The iPhono2 I had was really good until it died. Then I had it fixed and sold it. It died again on the new owner.

I wouldn’t touch an iPhono3 with a ten foot pole.

Strat-Mangler and patient_ot like this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I had two dying on me. If they haven’t fixed that PSU problem by now they are beyond stupid.

HiFi Guy and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

And yet more bought it in spite of all these warnings.

displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  21. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Brand new PSU with the 3. I'd heard the 2 had a revised PSU towards the end of its run.

Curious pricing given the relatively poor reputation here - no doubt this thread pops up for the prospective consumer. I'm sure it's a good stage but there will be cold feet.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some people will probably buy it anyway - they always do. Especially when the stealth marketers on social media start up the hypefest.

A real review of this thing should involve a 2 year field test. IIRC the last model usually crapped out 1-2 years in.

23. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Mine made it 9 months the first time, and under 6 the second time. The first time, they changed the board to an updated version.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. Drekow

Drekow Forum Resident

Not sure if is mentioned earlier on this thread or not, but Michael Fremer posted his review of the ifi Phono 3 on his Analog Planet website. It is a very interesting read and quite thorough. Mike really likes it.

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

He always likes whatever. Guy is a pure blowhard. How some look up to him is a mystery to me. The Howard Stern of vinyl.

latheofheaven and TerpStation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.