Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

No, that is two other switches with add the eRIAA + the rumble filter. The eRIAA switch is also by itself.

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

Yes, that's the setting!

3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Whenever you change settings do you use the calculator on the ifi site? It makes it a lot easier.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

Thank you kindly for the mention, but NOOOOOO... No real 'calculation' involved with this setting. It's either 'On' or 'Off'

BUT... the good news (I think) is that YES, after changing the switches (back?) to the eRIAA the sound now is as I remembered it when first giving it a listen. Man, talk about PANIC! :yikes:

I had a chance today to throw some things on and give it a bit more of a careful listen and everything sounds really good now. I just seriously cannot believe that it made THAT much difference! In reading some of the comments from others, some said the difference was 'negligible'... Uh, NO! I'm not claiming that my system is SO resolving or anything, but we are talking bloody night and day here. I mean, the difference between good, balanced sound with excellent 3D back-to-front imaging, full, tight bass, and nicely extended highs to.... OMG! WTF just happened!?? So, after taking some Valium now, I think I should be okay...

[​IMG]

Nielsoe likes this.
  5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Glad to hear you had a happy ending. I wasn’t so much referring to the calculation as to the the layout: it’s way easier to see what you’re doing with the dip switches when using the calculator on the site.

6. latheofheaven

Yes, exactly right! I did make sure to DL the PDF file with the nice big drawing and schematic of the entire layout of the back of the device, so that I know what the hell I'm doing :) I'm glad I found that, it was a lifesaver!

Nielsoe likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well, its been almost a year since I got mine, but yesterday I think it died. Although it lasted 2 years before that as well.

It started producing some noise at random times before, then played fine for days. Now it doesnt output any music, it just fizzles and hums when I change the volume on the amp. Tested different cables and inputs but it seems to be the iFi.

Guess Ill be looking for something else now, anyone who has had the iPhono2 and found another similar performing RIAA?

displayname and latheofheaven like this.
  8. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Sorry for your loss!

Have you tried seeing if a local tech could look at it? Might be cheaper to fix than buying a new phono. The 3 is supposed to be really good and I haven't read a lot of complaints about failure. It is $1000 though.

latheofheaven and Leonthepro like this.
  9. Leonthepro

I only know a couple techs but I dont know if they are used to working on this kind of stuff. Definitely worth a try though.
    The 3 is just too expensive for me right now. If I got it for half price like I did the 2 then maybe, but that probably wont happen for a few years.
    So for now Im looking at other Phonos.

808_state likes this.
  10. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Wow, half price. That should at least sting a bit less. If you could get the 2 fixed for $200, it might really be worth it then. I assume their 4 (if one appears) will be $1500.

11. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I took one apart once. I think the trouble is with the power supply. It is all surface mount and finding parts is trouble. Plus hard to know if the power supply took out the op-amps so I quickly gave up on it.

12. Leonthepro

The one thing I noted which others did earlier in this thread as well was that the unit gets very hot at times. I mean scolding, wonder if thats the cause for it dying.

latheofheaven and Phil Thien like this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Weren't there stick-on feet that help heat dissipation? I think someone mentioned this as a possible reason for overheating.

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You don't get that with Phono 3. It happened with my 2 as well.

latheofheaven, jusbe and Leonthepro like this.
  15. Leonthepro

Yes it has rubber feet, not sure how those would help much though, not like theres a fan inside blowing out air from the bottom.

16. Leonthepro

Weird how it lasted about 3 years and only seemed to get overly hot recently.

17. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Wow, I have an iPhono (original version) that has been serving me well for eight years now in a second system. It's an always-on component and is never even warm to the touch. I guess that I should avoid the upgrade bug with these.

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I don't think you need fear upgrading to the 3. There is no reports on malfunction with those to my knowledge. I got one and it's an incredible unit.

19. Leonthepro

How does it compare to the 2?

20. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Relatively poor enough RIAA implementation it seems - indeed, may be subjectively fine, but another system matching variable to contend with. Though I imagine the 2 has similar.

21. Leonthepro

Are you talking about the sound or the overheating?

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It would help probably by allowing the natural airflow under the unit. Like when 1u space is required between some rack units that not necessarily have fans. Or like when it's not recommended to stack components on an amplifier which, again, has no fans.
    Are the feet mounted on yours?

23. Leonthepro

Yes, always have been.

24. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

The sound - something of a V curve.

25. Leonthepro

In which direction? Is it lacking mids or highs and lows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.