Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

The three LEDs indicate power, class a tubestate in operation, and ready (the play sign). So yes, I believe all three lights are supposed to be light.

Nielsoe likes this.
  2. Vince G.

Vince G. New Member

I bought one a couple weeks ago and it had a grounding issue right out of the box. Aside from the annoying hum, it did surprise me. Sounded very nice. I sent it back for a replacement. I can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully this one isn't broken. haha

3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Another question to owners: do yours seem to run hotter when playing music as opposed to when just left on with no signal passing through?

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Congratulations! Yes all 3 LEDs are lit all the time.

Nielsoe likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I compared mine to the built in stage of my Rogue Pharoah integrated.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Had a bit of time today so here's a list of preamps which the iFi iPhono 2 was compared to ;

Favorably
    • Lehmann Black Cube
    • Vincent PHO-8
    • Phonomena (no outboard PSU)
    • Parks Audio Budgie
    • iFi iPhono v1
    • Aric Audio Unlimited tube preamp's phono preamp
    • Heed Questar MM
    • Pro-Ject Phono Box RS

Unfavorably
    • Sony TA-F700ES internal phono preamp
    • Tavish Design Vintage 6SL7

Undecided
    • Jasmine LP2.0 mkII

7. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Well I had this problem on the one that failed me. I'd keep an eye on it.

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I moved the ifi a little further away from my Class A amp. Problem solved. Nothing wrong with my unit thus far. Phew!

displayname, HiFi Guy and This Heat like this.
  9. Joe Spivey

Well after listening to the iPhono 2 for a week and setting it aside and replacing it with my previous phono stage the Jasmine LP2.0, I'm ready to tip the hat to the iPhono 2. It's quieter and has more command of the lower end but still evenly balanced. For me, there is a bit of edginess in the highs that I haven't heard previously in my set up. Playing around with loading and curves didn't change anything, however, changing from eRIAA to RIAA did help. I haven't heard anyone else with this complaint so maybe it's an oddity or just my set up. I'll be anxious to compare it with the Tavish Design Vintage that I picked up today. More to come...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    dirtymac, dolsey01, HiFi Guy and 3 others like this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Give it a couple weeks. It smooths out.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Hm, it seems my unit is running hot again. It's not hot all the time but I suspect there is a problem . Moving the ifi further away from my amp did help but I guess that was by coincidence. I'll contact ifi.

12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

And now it happened to me aswell: It stopped playing!! Will send it back to Amazon to get a refund and then I'll buy another one. It's simply too good to give up on. So to owners and future owners please beware if your unit suddenly runs hot!

displayname and Joe Spivey like this.
  13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Mine certainly runs warm. So far so good. If I didn't have an iPhono 2, I have no idea what I'd buy.

displayname likes this.
  14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I should think that is fine as it operates in class A. If it starts running unusally hot you should disconnect it. This is most likely related to the power unit but it seems yours is working fine! This is such a drag but I'm gonna get me a new one the moment the refund ticks into my account. If that one fails too I'm gonna try again. It's a truly spectacular riaa and I would still recommend it.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

So if you get the iPhono 2 it's liable to go bad?

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

The Tavish is a really good deal. The price has been creeping up, but if you can do the build yourself it's an absolute bargain.

Joe Spivey and HiFi Guy like this.
  17. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

What a bunmer. I gave up after a second one didn't work.

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, it died on me and member This Heat had two go bad plus I read in the comments to the review on Analog Planet someone experienced problems with the PSU and had to get a replacement PSU. I would still recommend it as it sounds great. I'm sure this is a case of a bad batch and I'm getting a new one.

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Any product is liable to go bad. Manufacturer reaction is what you want to enquire about.

displayname likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Well the internal phono in my 1985 Parasound hasn't died on me.
    If a few folks on this thread I have already had problems with them that's not good odds. I still want one:)

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

And you should get one.

Manimal likes this.
  22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I don't solder but have some friends who can. You guys think someone who is not into audio gear but is fairly handy with stuff could handle the Tavish build?

23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

Yes, no problem. Some of the components are a little tight, but if they've done PCB solder work before, should be fine.

24. Joe Spivey

Well after spending the weekend with the TD Vintage and two weeks with the iPhono 2, I can definitely say they are both great phono stages, but for different reasons and most decisions it will come down to personal preference. The Vintage has a more natural and detailed top-end where the iPhono 2 for me sounded edgy. The Vintage has nice punchy and detailed low-end but doesn't have as much as the iPhono 2. Both give nice quite backgrounds but I'm giving it to the iPhono 2 is that department. However, the Vintage has wonderful imaging with a deep soundstage forward and back that really sets itself apart from the iPhono 2. Great mid-range and vocals that gives it a non-fatiguing and easy to listen presentation for hours of enjoyment. I also believe the Vintage has the potential to sound much better too with upgraded tubes (currently using stock Sovtek tubes). Another advantage of the Vintage is it's form factor. I like all the connections are on the back and it makes it a little easier to incorporate in my setup. Still there are dip switches on the inside but I haven't had the need to mess with them since initial set up.

For me, the Vintage will be staying. As people have indicated here too, the iPhono is a very worthy phono stage too - quite impressive. I would of loved to build the Vintage kit. However, I don't like the idea of buying a phono stage without the ability to return as they can be finicky in my setup. After looking on the inside, it's pretty tight in there too so I'm kind of glad I didn't go that route. I'm sure it would be an easy build for others. Also to note, when I contacted Tavish Design, there was a 5-6 week waitlist so I was lucky to find a local sell.

Mr.Sneis, Shiver, Manimal and 9 others like this.
  25. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

I've used Tung Sol's and Sovtek's in my Vintage and I'm not sure there's much difference besides looks between the two.

Joe Spivey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.