Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I wouldn't say "isn't quality oriented... I'd say they have some kinks to work out. The reference gear AMR is some of the best gear in the world. Besides....My Micro DSD DAC and the iUSB3.0 is top notch....I've used it in my main system as well as a headphone rig and its quality through and through. I suspect they will get it right at some point with the iPhono 2. But if it was me....I'd move on. But if youd go over to computeraudiophile.com and headfi.com and see all the cats enjoying their iFi products.

I purchased the Phonomena ll+ knowing Musical Surrounding has a huge reputation in phono stages for years...knowing Michael Yee who designs the products is one of the best in the world.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You don't need to!

3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I also purchased the Phonoemena II + a few weeks after I bailed on Iphono2 after two models didn't work. I'm very happy. No problems at all and I do think it sounds better.

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

So how did the iFi compare to the Tavish phono pre? I've always been curious about their phono preamps.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

Oops. I just read your follow up post. Sounds like a nice preamp.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

So no cartridge settings can be set by the user at all? My Grado is low output (0,5 mv) but needs 47ko while being nonsensitive to capacitive load. What if I change cartridge? Would I have to return it to NVA? Surely it can't be optimal set to ANY cartridge as a standard.

7. Classicrock

Sure, I did say most cartridges. The capacitance won't be an issue I think with this design. You would need to discuss this with Richard Dunn the owner or join the HFS forum and post a question there. Sounds you need MM with high (MC) gain. So if you change to a normal mm with say 3.0 mv output it would have to be changed by NVA.

Welcome to Hi-Fi Subjectivist - a hifi discussion group • Portal

[email protected]

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Ok thanks but having to send it back to NVA if I wish to change cartridge almost makes it a no go for me I'm afraid. Still on my rader though.

9. Classicrock

Frankly I can think of few stages that would adjust ideally to that cartridge. Most affordable ones have no adjustment in any case. The answer may be to consider an alternative cartridge as that Grado is a bit of an oddball in it's requirements. I still think may be worth a query on HFS.

10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, it needs about 60db of gain and a 47ko load. My Project could handle it and the ifi can handle it. I contacted NVA through EBay and the Phono 2 can be set for the Grado but should I wish to change to another cart I would have to send it over to have it set. And that bothers me a bit. I haven't ruled it out yet but the same goes for the ifi.

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can one apply subsonic filter on any curve or it is curve specific?

12. Slippers-on

That's what you say..... others may feel differently. If you as me.....I say.....That's poppycock! One should have the freedom to make adjustments if he wants.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Classicrock

But in most cases it makes sod all difference to the presentation and all the extra switches in the signal path can't do anything for sound quality.

14. Slippers-on

Yes.... and after not liking the little walwart of a PSU, I called Musical surroundings about a better power supply. They told me I could get a better after market linear PSU. Just match the stats on the walwart. The sound will improve even more. For the price you pay for the Phonema ll+, you get a cheap walwart. I haven't purchased yet but have been in contact with www.sbooster.com about a nice PSU. They told me the one for my model will be shipping to the USA and they would contact me when shipped. If interested check out the link.

15. Slippers-on

Hahahahaha.....You can't schmooze me on audio, bro. Especially when some one tries to feed me nonsense bout phone amps with switches are bad.

16. Slippers-on

This is proving my point. I have no doubt its a great sounding machine.... but having to send it back in isn't something I'd be willing to do, bro.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

All things aside, yesterday I actually sat down and had a good listen to the ifi and yes there are lots of phono stages to be had in this price range, but my oh my does this little thing play music!! Call me stupid (really you may) but I'm keeping the ifi! Love is blind. Whatever the solution may be (perhaps returning it again) I'm holding on. This is going to have a happy ending.

Heckto35, displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  18. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

What really got me to pull the trigger on the iPhono2 (I had an original iPhono) was the additional gain for my low-output MC cart. With 72 dB gain, the line-level signal from my digital input and phono input are just about perfectly matched... I don't have to crank the preamp volume way up like I did with the iPhono. And the noise floor with 72 dB gain is nice and quiet, so long as you position the device carefully (don't stick it on top of something where it picks up up EMI).

It sounds a lot like my Bifrost multibit DAC, actually. Take that for what it's worth (not sure if it's more of a statement about the Bifrost or about the iFi!). I sometimes forget what source I'm listening to.

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

To repeat my question before it sinks:
    Can't understand from the manual if subsonic filter works for all curves or only for RIAA and eRIAA. Does it work for Columbia and Decca?

20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It appears that way to me.

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

How exactly?

22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Because the subsonic filter is set on the bottom along with eRIAA and RIAA. So the subsonic filter appears to be set seperately from the side switch for RIAA/Columbia /Decca.

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So no help for warped Decca or Columbia curve records? Weird design logic. Let's see if someone could confirm/deny this.

24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The answer is on their main product page.

micro – iPhono2

IEC: RIAA with IEC subsonic filter
    eRIAA/IEC: enhanced RIAA with IEC subsonic filter

If that's not clear enough, I'd contact iFi with your inquiry.

If you want subsonic + other EQ curves, you'll need to look elsewhere. Then again, I'm not sure what other devices offer those other curves so, the likely answer appears to be: buy iPhono 2 with companion VinylFlat combo pack. Available at better retailers and Walgreens.

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Subsonic filer eliminates not only warped vinyl sonic artifacts, but also rumble that is actually embedded in the pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.