heard this true power strip story?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cwon, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

A teacher at my school called my office, frantic because her TV wouldn't go on. One of my staff went to her classroom and, sure enough, the TV wouldn't power up. So he looked to see if the cart was plugged into the wall and that was ok. Then he asked her if the power strip was turned on.

She said - well, one side of the switch said "NO" so she had the switch going to the other direction.

You should have seen my guy's expression when he got back to the office. The next time I saw that teacher, she said she was so embarrassed and sorry to make him walk down for that, but I told her it was worth his walk for the story.:laugh:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Back when I used to wire studios I had a guy tell me the O*N/O*F*F switch (pronouncing the letters... "Oh Eff Eff") was in the the O*F*F position.

I also went back to a studio I wired to fix a broken 24 track only to find it wasn't plugged in... now it's the first question I ask.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Also confusing are power strips/surge protectors that are labeled "1/0" (as in "one"/"zero"), where 1=on, 0=off. The number "0" (zero) can be confused with the letter "O", which could signify either "On" or "Off"!

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Back when I still had a job and did PC tech support these kind of things happened fairly often. Either a strip turned off or the pc was plugged into the strip bit the strip was not plugged in or even just the monitor was turned off. You would ask people to turn off their machine and restart only to have them just turn off the monitor and tell you that it keeps just restarting to the same place. Ya gotta wonder sometimes.

5. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

Whenever anyone calls our office complaining that something doesn't work, everyone in the office says, "plug it in!"

We're also seeing new power strips that say RESET and OFF, so maybe more people read ON as NO than I think. RESET doesn't help much either. Someone said, using a lower case "n" in ON would solve everyting.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I once had a situation where a user moved his dual monitor UNIX workstion from one desk to another, without informing me first. He assured me that he hooked everything up correctly, but the PC would not boot up at all. Both screens were blank, and absolutely nothing would display on either screen, not even a flashing cursor.

Sometimes these errors indicated that I would have to go through the agony of rebuilding the PC from a Ghost image, and then applying some software unique to this user. Either that, or he may have dropped or josteled the workstation when he moved it - crashing the hard drive, or some other hardware failure. But I could hear the system booting up.

A few minutes later, I discovered that the user had connected one end of one video cable to one monitor and the other end to the other monitor, and used the other video cable to connect one video card to the other video card! The monitors were not connected to the computer! The user said "oh, that's not right?":rolleyes:

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Thats almost as good as the guy who called Dell Tech Support and said that his "Cup Holder" was broken.

He actually thought that the Cd tray, when open, was to hold a soda cup!!!

Beat that!!

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'd heard of someone plugging the power strip into itself.

Oops. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.