Heat (1995) - Director's Definitive Edition Blu-ray coming May 9th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the link. I have a new podcast to listen to. These guys talk exactly how my friends and I would talk about film in our thirties. And they are covering films from the time I watched a lot of movies.

The discussion about Heat is really fun to listen to. You feel like you are at the table with two really knowledgeable film and sport buffs who are great at banter and trivia.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

even worse :(

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

FWIW, I'm not sure Pacino or De Niro would've been included in "Best Actor" anyway, as I think "Heat" was enough of an ensemble film that there were no true "lead characters".

The Academy differentiates "lead" and "supporting" in mysterious ways, so who knows? They could've both been viewed as "leads" or both as "supporting" - or one lead, one supporting.

Kind of a moot point now, though! :D

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think they are co-leads, with Kilmer and co supporting.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

should have definitely got a best picture nomination, at the least, and michael mann's production was impeccable.

johnnyyen likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Glad you liked it. I just listened to the "Jerry Maguire" one too and enjoyed it. I plan to work my way through the rest.

7. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I did also! The veer off into Cruise's acting in A Few Good Men was distracting but funny at the same time.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. Pacino and De Niro were definitely the co-lead stars. I love this film, but I am not surprised it didn't get any Oscar love. Pacino and De Niro were already legends and I think many were disappointed that they didn't share more screen time together (they had the one scene in the coffee shop and then the very end), so it got dinged a little for that.

johnnyyen likes this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Still, it’s an amazing scene.

George Co-Stanza and rjp like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get down again for the third time ?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'the irishman"...................................soon?

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I found both the coffee shop and the ending a bit anticlimactic. But entertaining. Certainly better than going too far the other way and making it contrived.

13. Oatsdad

IIRC, "Heat" wasn't tremendously well-received in 1995. I think it got decent reviews but it didn't match with expectations, so I think a lot of the reviews were pretty lackluster.

It took the film a few years to overcome the hype and be seen on its own - I think that's when it became better appreciated...

Simon A and George Co-Stanza like this.
  14. Oatsdad

The funny thing about the coffee shop scene is that it's shot in a way that almost makes it look like Pacino and De Niro weren't on the set together.

IIRC, there are a couple of shots with them together, but often it seems like they shot on different days...

Simon A and George Co-Stanza like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I know what you mean. I think in every shot where you see both, you see the face of one and the back of the other. Even the final shot of the film, which shows both, is De Niro's character dying and Pacino's back to the camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.