Heathkit Speakers & Receiver Worth Keeping?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

My grandfather was an avid Heathkit builder--I remember he built one system in the 60s with an integrated amp and tuner (with an add-on FM stereo module), a solid state receiver in the 70s, and a couple of TVs as well.

Right now I have a couple of components I don't know what to do with. I have that mid 70s receiver that other than needing its contacts cleaned (volume/bass/treble/balance controls, and pushbutton switches), is in nice condition. I also have a pair of speakers from the 60s that sound OK (they are a very thin but wide model that used to live on either side of his fireplace), but nothing I'd use for my main listening.

Are these worth anything, or no? Not sure how these are sonically, but I also don't know if there might be any collector value. Considering putting them on eBay. I'd keep the receiver here (it's one of the few things I still have that he'd built), but I already have a lot of "stuff" I could stand to get rid of.

2. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Huge collectors market for Heathkit but unfortunately they only want the unassembled kits. Check out eBay for more information.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Rudy, what if you took it apart....? ;)

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

The only Heathkit loudspeaker that I would keep, would be the Heathkit AS-2. It was made by Acoustic Research. It is an AR-2 in kit form.

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

You should put this stuff on the for sale forum, and let us pick through it!

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

My dad and I built one of the Heathkit integrated amps in the '60s. I wish we had built a valve job, but my dad did not share my affection for the glass bottles. I think he wanted to be "modern".

Regarding the receiver - why don't you see if you can give it away? It's not worth anything (but sentimental value), but giving it to someone is good karma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.