Hell finally freezes over... 'Justice League' Snyder Cut getting released!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hermit, May 20, 2020.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's what I took the reasoning to be. I was puzzled by some of the articles I've seen on this.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Those two outlets are about useful as a sail boat filled with termite holes.
    Fans see the movies.. fans make money for the studios... fans by merchandise ..
    News media outlets if you can call them that. Are toxic.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This trailer looks sloppy and sounds badly-mixed to me, but it's from an official HBO Max account, so maybe it's real:

To me, it looks like a bad fan mash-up, with a lot of confusing cuts and buried dialogue, plus the whole thing needs a lot more sound effects, but that's me.

4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I want Michael Ironside as the voice of darkside .. he was perfect in the cartoon.

agentalbert likes this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It is not. :p

That's like people putting VEVO in the corner of the thumbnail for fan uploads.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are absolutely right -- it's a fake. See, I felt it was fake just because it was really sloppy editing and a bad mix. I also think it's premature to tease a Snyder cut promo because it's going to take them the better part of a year to get that together.

I'm actually curious to see it and I look forward to it premiering on HBO Max... whenever that happens.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

If it's different enough from the released versions, it could be an interesting experience.
    Is it the first time something like this happens?

8. agentalbert

Different released cuts of movies are nothing new, though usually they involve the director who actually finished the movie. There was the "Rogue Cut" of X-Men: Days Of Future Past that came out after the original. There was also the Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion: Prequel To The Exorcist situation. I don't know, every situation is different I guess.

5th-beatle likes this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Superman II Richard Donner cut is another famous alternate version.

altaeria likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The first time I can remember an expanded reissue being done on a grand scale was 40 years ago with Close Encounters of the Third Kind in August 1980, when Spielberg reminded the studio that they had rushed the film out before he felt it was really finished, so they gave him a couple of million dollars on the proviso that he also add a spectacular new scene... in this case, going "inside" the mother ship. The Special Edition of the film came out to great fanfare, but I know some members of the audience were confused, because they thought they were going to see the sequel, and it was just the same film with some scenes cut out, some other scenes expanded, and then a longer ending. The home video releases in the 1990s and 2000s have bounced back and forth between that version and an "Extended" edition that basically threw everything in including the kitchen sink.

Billy Friedkin had similar problems with The Exorcist, and convinced Warner Bros. more than 20 years later to let him re-edit and finish certain parts of the film for a 2000 version called "The Version You've Never Seen," and I think that was the first time the film was mixed in stereo (actually surround). But in the case of both this film and CE3K, the director was very heavily involved. It's rare that a director leaves a film, another director takes over, the second director's version is released, and then the studio says, "oh, how about let's try releasing that original version since people seem to want it?" I somehow tend to doubt that Disney/Lucasfilm will decide to do this with the unreleased/unfinished version of Solo: A Star Wars Story directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

altaeria and 5th-beatle like this.
  11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I was disappointed with Donner's Superman II when I finally got to see it - wasn't the improvement over the "interesting but flawed" Lester version that we'd all previously seen.

YMMV.

12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976 Thread Starter

It's certainly an interesting and unexpected turnaround, that's for sure, and there have been countless alternate/director's cuts that have been restored after their initial release, but I think as stated above by @Quadboy, the so-called 'Richard Donner Cut' of Superman II is the closest comparison in that there was a grassroots movement to restore and release an alternate cut of a movie by it's original director who was fired or left, was subsequently replaced, and a revised cut was filmed and released.

The difference between the Donner Cut of Superman II and the Snyder Cut of Justice League is that the latter completed principal photography of his would-be version, Donner only completed approximately 80% of his, so there could never be a 'proper' Donner cut of that film as he originally intended it to be as he never finished principle photography of it... the same cannot be said of Snyder's JL cut, which will be a fully-realized and completed version of his vision of that movie.

All 214 freakin' minutes of it (if reports are to be believed!)...

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    5th-beatle and Quadboy like this.
  13. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I think I read that Josh Whedon only used 10% of Snyder's footage so it should be very different.

thegage and Quadboy like this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes it was no great shakes.
    But interesting enough if you love the first 2 films.

With what's going in the world at the moment I personally think it's the real reason this JL version is happening.
    I wonder what else studios are thinking of restoring whilst waiting for normal service to resume?

15. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Zack Snyder’s Justice League was originally meant to include Darkseid, actor officially confirms

It’s probably the worst-kept secret in the DCEU – but actor Ray Porter has officially confirmed he was set to play villain Darkseid in Zack Snyder’s Justice League before his role was cut from the theatrical release.

Porter revealed the news on Twitter, adding he’s finally been given permission to let the cat out of the Mother Box. It’s an odd decision given the timing of the Snyder Cut announcement last week. Could something be cooking with the Justified actor appearing in the HBO Max release?
    He posted: “Because I’ve been given permission... Hi, I’m Ray. I played Darkseid in Zack Snyder’s Justice League. There. It’s out now.”
    As for the character itself, Darkseid – A New God who makes Thanos look pretty playful by comparison – was due to show up towards the end of the Justice League’s fight with Steppenwolf in Snyder’s original vision for the DC team-up, as well as in a brief “History” section at the beginning of the film.

After Snyder stepped down and Joss Whedon was drafted in, plans for that and a Justice League trilogy (one that would’ve seen Darkseid take over Earth) were scuttled. But that might not be the end for the Big Bad of the DC Universe.

As of July 2019, Darkseid is set to appear in Ava DuVernay’s New Gods, though it’s not yet known if Ray Porter will be reprising the role.

Yet, it’s towards 2021’s Snyder Cut where eyes are inevitably drawn. If it is a return to Zack Snyder’s Justice League, deleted scenes and all, then Darkseid has to play a part. Porter suddenly stepping into the spotlight could indicate that we’re potentially getting major story changes as part of the Snyder Cut package.

mark renard likes this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So is this HBO MAX service only in the USA?
    Do shows/specials such as this get syndicated to other services Amazon, Netflix etc shortly afterwards?

17. gabacabriel

If Snyder's cut of Justice League gets released, does that then become canon in favour of the Whedon cut?

18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Not if it's crap.

19. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I could be wrong but I’m guessing this is a case of lipstick on a pig.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. gabacabriel

I use the same criteria in ignoring the Disney Star Wars movies.

21. agentalbert

Ah yes, how'd I forget that? And very analogous to this one as it was from a director who started it but wasn't able to complete it.

Quadboy likes this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II is a very good example. And in truth, the reviewers kind of went "eh" for that version. I think some of it was better and some of it was merely "OK" compared to the Richard Lester released version.

I think as the theatrical experience continues to implode, studios are going to want to hog their own movies and shows just for their own streaming services. WB/HBO/AT&T is going to want to hold on to exclusive content and not give it to Netflix just to force you to subscribe to their services instead. I dunno what the timetable is for HBO Max worldwide, but it launches tomorrow in the United States (May 27, 2020):

HBO Max website

Ehhhhh... $11.99/month is kind of a lot these days.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Honestly this is good news for me as a Superman fan. I thought Henry got a raw deal from (at first) the fans because he wasn't Chris Reeve, and ultimately Warners for not committing to a direction. The fans came around for the most part and he seems to be a legit Superman fan. He could be forgiven if he left after the theatrical JL debacle,but he's constantly said that he'd play Superman again in a heartbeat in every interview since.

I think its smart easing him back into the DCEU in other projects,gauge where the fans are at and whether there is indeed interest in another sequel or a standalone solo film in the future.

PhilBorder and BeatleJWOL like this.