Hello CDs, I missed you!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by punkmusick, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The spines and backcover were for me the reason to take jewelcase again. And the fact that my ex-wife was no longer around to complain about the space my cd's take.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

A CD's only as good as the stuff you put on it.

RockRoom, The_Windmill and Pete Puma like this.
  3. dkmonroe

Lots of people talk about that. Every thread about vinyl contains people recounting their horror stories from the bad old days of vinyl. Except for the people who still like vinyl. They're usually pretty chill about it.

Personally I experienced only a very few truly defective new LP's back in the 70's-80's - less than five at most.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

as is any other format

5. dkmonroe

Agreed.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

I had a few defective records back in the day, but only a few. I'm probably less satisfied with the more recent vinyl to be honest.
    My biggest thing personally against vinyl is clicks and pops. I will take a supposedly inferior sound quality over clicks and pops any day. Clicks and pops interfere with musical flow for me, an ever so slight difference in warmth much less so.

Pop_Zeus, Bossfan and dkmonroe like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

If I had enough space my CDs would be in their cases too.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

I never gave up on my CDs just like i never gave up on my vinyl, even when it was deeply unfashionable. Both are great formats. Not perfect, but there is a reason why they have both been around for decades. The only downside is the space that they take up.

I don't have a problem with downloads or streaming - both are useful in their own ways, but I like to have control over my collection by having a physical copy.

Also it's great having the artwork and sleevenotes!

9. dkmonroe

Back in the old days I literally didn't care about clicks and pops - it was just the nature of the thing. These days I return records that click, pop, or have noticeable defects and almost always the second copy is fine. I think that new vinyl is getting better actually - I haven't had to return a LP in a couple of years. But I buy like 10 LP's a year - people who by 10 in a week may be having a different experience!

10. mark winstanley

glad to hear they are sorting it out. I just got tired of the russian roulette feeling of getting the odd vinyl, because at the end of the day it was just nostalgia for me

Pete Puma and dkmonroe like this.
  11. I only had a few warped and defective LPs back in the day too. But that represented probably about 5% of my LP collection. I have over 1000cds and have had 5-6 defective (or rotting) ones. A much lower %. Funny, I can rember each of the cd defects to this day:
    1 cd had the wrong music on it (disk 2 from Frank Zappa's Lather)
    1 cd had some foreign material pressed in the surface (Big Country, The Crossing)
    1 cd was not balanced right (Skynyrds Innyrds)
    And one box set of 4 cds got a case of cd rot (Jethro Tull 25th Anniversary box set)
    So I guess 7 cds defective total.

12. dkmonroe

CD would be just about perfect if mastering engineers would master them with the same sort of philosophy of sound quality that was observed in the LP/Tape era. It has nothing to do with the actual format and everything to do with the fact that if some of these engineers were chefs, they'd be loading everything up with salt, MSG and whipped cream.

basie-fan, apesfan, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I had a similar experience to you, though when I came of age enough to start buying my own music, nobody was listening to records anymore much less cassettes, it was all CD.

I still have my hundreds of CD’s (haven’t counted but it’s probably easily 500). Space is certainly an issue with them, as I can’t have them all out. Recently I’ve started to dig out many of them to play, and I bought a cheapo CD player to run through my receiver and main sound system in my bedroom. I definitely enjoy putting on a full album and letting it play while I’m doing stuff.

(Putting on something like the CSN boxed set on CD that was remastered in 2013 is a revelation—the mastering is superb and startling and fills up a room wonderfully)

I only wish I was able to have every CD out in the open where I could pick from them. They have to fight for space with my 400 records. About 99% of my CD collection is boxed up and put in various closets (which makes them a pain to get to). I don’t think I could ever get rid of every jewel case, though.

14. mark winstanley

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00017IP7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I find this to be a fantastic space saving cd holder .... I got this and a wall unit and now only the bulky box sets are in the cupboard

punkmusick and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Thanks—yeah that’s the kind of thing I need. A bit on the pricey side but I’m sure that would do the trick. Maybe at my next place. I’m also sure my girlfriend would complain about it either way!

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I love the last line of the original post. "...It is nice to take a CD from the shelve, touch it, look at it, enjoy the artwork, read the booklet, and put it to play....". That is what people say about vinyl, I've never heard it said so lovingly about CD's. I love my CD, SACD, SHM-CD, DualDisc, Blu-ray Pure Audio, formats collection too. I've just never liked the smallness of the contents. Half the time I can't read the text, and the art doesn't compare to 12 inches. Though I can go either way when buying physical music, nothing beats a nice heavy double 180 gram LP with heavy duty cardboard gatefold and inserts.

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Crackles and pops were always there on my records. I very rarely returned one as I just accepted it.:) Mind you, I didn’t have great quality record players, which wouldn’t have helped...

When I bought my first CD player, the lack of surface noise was a big thrill for me. I don’t think I realised how much it had spoiled the sound of my records.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m a total CD guy, but I agree with you on this. Vinyl just looks incredible. Great to browse through in the stores. Some CDs have decent packaging, but it rarely competes with the vinyl equivalent.

19. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I love my CDs collection, it's just a part of me. Love to choose which album to play from the shelves and then sit down with a booklet.
    I also work on computer every day, so when I get home I simply like to put my laptop and my mobile phone away. So streaming at work and in my car, CDs (and some Vinyl) home :)

20. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Does anyone listen to music at this board or do you spend all your time writing short essays on how much you enjoy music?

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Both. It's fun to talk about music. How about you?

johnnybrum, Kiss73 and Pop_Zeus like this.
  22. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

23. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

What a great first CD! One of my favorite Suicidal albums!

punkmusick likes this.
  24. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I wish I had room to put all my cds out. These days I mostly listen to my record collection, which is much smaller but when we move I hope to have enough room to get the cds back out though there are 1500 or so (plus thousands more of bootleg concerts burned to cd in SHN format). I figure, digital is digital so I just listen to rips on the computer but like you say, its not quite the same.

punkmusick likes this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What the heck are you talking about? Most of today’s vinyl is not that great at all:cheers:

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.