" Hello, Dolly! " on audio, inc. new Bette vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I've had, or known, 4 different cast albums of Jerry Herman's classic musical, HELLO, DOLLY!
    1964's Carol Channing original - the CD version of which tacks on some songs sung by Ethel Merman when she took over the title role later in the show's run, songs added specially for Ethel's run in it.
    The 1967?? LP of the Pearl Bailey-Cab Calloway recastong of show, which reveived a cast LP from the novelty/giant step for 1967 - Possibly not since my folks' old LP, however!
    The soundtrack of the Barba Ztriesand-starring film, released in 1969 IIRC - filmed rather near to where I lived, with much money being spent on building a 19th Century musical comedy village for it, some of which may still stand!
    The 2017 Broadway revival with Bette Midler starring - which is apparently going to have a vinyl edition! (I only saw the headline, alack - Can someone find the story for me, please?)
    Bette is fixing to leave the production, to be replaced by Bernadette Peters - Cast LPs of replacement casts are rars, but Bernadette is an established theater star...
    Anybody have a little hand to put in hete about these or any other versions of HD!?

2. WLL

...When I recently listened to the soundtrack of the Streisand movie on a You Tube playlist, somehow it had the complete songs, in order, from the movie...followed by, IIRC, the same songs all over again!:eek:
    Wby would someone do that:confused:? I can theorize that someone may have posted the complete audio soundtrack album release and then posted the actual movie' s versions of the music from the DVD - Soundtrack albums of movie musicals often feature different version of the songs than the versions you hear when you see the movie, " record versions ", perhaps even recorded at the same session I suppose, but different.

3. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I've only seen Hello, Dolly! in a concert version. And I've never listened to any of the cast recordings fully. From listening to isolated numbers, I'd say that Pearl Bailey's "So Long Dearie" is my favourite (she also put out a different, 45 version). Here's a live version:

4. smallworld

I also love Marilyn Maye's "Hello, Dolly" title number - she recorded all the songs as an album, after playing the role in stock in the 1980s. I've never been able to purchase the CD - her website appears to be run by someone who only accepts "checks in the mail". It's a shame as most of Maye's RCA albums have been released as downloads recently.

5. smallworld

Maye also sings the hell out of "So Long, Dearie". Streisand does the same of course, but I'm not a fan.

From listening to a few tracks of the Midler recording, I don't like that close-miked sound. There's no atmosphere, no expanse to the sound.

6. WLL

...I once had a Mercury 45 of Louis Armstrong doing " Dearie ", obviously trying to return to the Herman well on Satch's part...

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For the "Hello Dolly!" vinyl completists only!

@4:50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.