Hello, fans of Ocean Colour Scene...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Feb 3, 2017.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

One of the recent Paul Weller threads started to go off the rails recently with excessive OCS chatter, so I thought I'd start a thread about these guys. I came to them (via Weller) around the same time as I got into Oasis. However, my Oasis interest waned after the first few albums, but I still find myself somewhat interested (though not particularly knowledgeable) regarding these guys.

I just today got their most recent studio disc (several years old already). Thought maybe a poll might be a place to start? So pick your favorite three discs and we'll see which land in the #2 & #3 slot. ;) And which albums get the least love...

Any useful info about live collections or solo projects or whatever seems like fair game, too.

I know these guys get some negative press, which is why I titled the thread for "fans" of the band. Criticisms are certainly legitimate here, but if you don't have something positive to say as well, then you're in the wrong thread. :wave:

warewolf95, btltez and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  2. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

They were the dad-rock poster boys after their Mosely Shoals landmark, but I've loved their muscular, maximum R&B from the first time I heard them.

warewolf95 and mrjinks like this.
  3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Where is the origin for the term dad-rock , and who did it refer to initially?

ian christopher and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

If you like OCS, try Merrymouth... Simon Fowler's spin off band. Great version here of a Stone Roses classic.

warewolf95 and btltez like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Moseley Shoals is the only one I've heard/owned. I liked them a lot at the time - they sounded very fresh - but now I find that I don't even have that album still in my iTunes library and I feel that my opinion of them took a hit when I realised that their biggest hit was basically ripped off from the Allman Brothers. That said, I think that my lack of appreciation for them probably has more to do with the fact that they dropped off my radar than anything else.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I've only listened to Moseley Shoals. Which album should I listen to next?

7. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

To all you Moseley Shoals fans I recommend you get your hands on the 2016 RSD vinyl reissue while it's still there. It's expensive now but still it's cheaper than an original. I never heard a vinyl original but the reissue sounds great. On top of that you get two noise free red vinyl records to put in a beautiful gatefold cover.

bleachershane likes this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Marchin' Already and One For The Modern for sure. Both great albums and musically much more adventurous than their "dad rock" label indicates. In fact, IMO they ran circles around their brit pop contemporaries in that field. In that field too I should say.

9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Guilty as charged. I'm the one who started the OCS banter in the PW thread LoL. I have loved OCS since Mosley Shoals. Every album has something amazing on it. To me they are longer lasting and classic compared to the others. Oasis lost it for me after the first 3 and the tabloid bs. The others all had that 90's bombastic trendy sound and although good bands they don't stand the test of time for me. If I even begin to listen to Suede or Pulp or Oasis etc it's just nostalgia and it sounds dated. OCS however, never succombed to the fashion or the production and I think that is why they still sound good to me today. There are so many album cuts that mean a lot to me. Golden Gate Bridge, if you really listen to it and read the lyrics, could be one of the greatest love songs ever written. No one's ever written one like it. Would you die for me? Can I trust you with my life? Forever? Drive Away, Families, I Just Got Over You, Lining Your Pockets, there are just so many great songs. I need vinyl if anyone has any to sell. Great thread thanks for starting it.

10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Word. I'm certainly hoping to see at least Marchin' Already and One For The Modern get a vinyl reissue like last years RSD Moseley Shoals.

btltez likes this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I had Hundred Mike High City back in the day, which I still love. Funnily enough, I pulled out a Britpop comp the other day, and The Day We Caught The Train (which I hated at the time) has withstood the test of time better than nearly all the things on there.

I can't say I adore them, but they definitely have a lot of timeless tunes which their second-tier Britpop peers certainly do not. Back in the 90s, my brother was the dad-rock/ Oasis/ real music on real instruments guy, and I was the arty/ London/ Blur fan. We did listen to each others' stuff though, and had common ground in stuff like The Longpigs that crossed the threshold between the two.

Far as I can tell, it all went south when Damon Minchella left, though.

12. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

`Dad Rock` what is this B.S.? I was a dad when I was 21** so was I suddenly too old to love the music that I did love?

Ocean Colour Scene? Probably the best English rock band to emerge in the `90`s, I see I have a couple of album gaps to plug and that`s my afternoon sorted.

**I`m a grandad now, what B.S. category do I fit in now?

13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I wrote them about a vinyl box set and steve's wife wrote me back and said "no news to report" so looks like we have to pay the high prices for vinyl. Sux.

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, as btltez stated earlier, it's them not wanting to succumb to '90s trends (like they did on their first, self-titled album) which ended up labeling them as "out of touch" back then, is what's kinda kept them ageless now. You compare their 2nd, 3rd or 4th albums of the '90s to almost any of their contemporaries, and the other bands that were more "relevant" then, now sound dated, and that OCS material doesn't.

Anyhoo, I've been a fan since '95 when I lucked into seeing them play one of their only two times they played in Los Angeles. I liked Moseley Shoals, which was new at the time, but it was seeing them live that pushed me over the edge into rabid fandom. Opening for them at the Whiskey was Brian Jonestown Massacre, which for some unknown reason are highly regarded, but that night, they were a sloppy, stupid mess, and from OCS's first note, they just blew them out of the water.

Their guitarist, Steve Cradock is one of my favorite, still active, guitarists around. Being a guitarist myself, I noticed that we use a lot of the same gear.
    And I've liked all their albums to varying degrees, but their standouts are Moseley Shoals and Marchin Already. Their last one, Painting, was a surprisingly strong album as well.

But it's tough being an OCS fan in Southern California. Besides that time in '95, I've only been able to see them twice more, 2001 in LA and NY. But I guess it's not worth their time to come play America ever again.

That's too bad about no plans for vinyl re-issues, because this year is the 20th anniversary of their 3rd album Marchin Already, which badly needs a new vinyl release. But maybe she meant no news to report on a box-set, and they might still do a one-off RSD release of Marchin for it's 20th?

popscene, btltez and mrjinks like this.
  15. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

:crazy:

16. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Count me among the OCS fans. I was already a Dad by the time Moseley Shoals came out. The lead guitarist (older than me) in my band recommended them to me. I bought the album, thought it was REALLY derivative... but loved it anyway.

Me and my missus have a big soft spot for North Atlantic Drift, but Moseley and Marching are my favourites.

The young uns that I knew at work etc at the time thought OCS were "dad rock" and pretty rancid... I could sort of see what they meant. But OCS made good music and were a stonkingly good live band.

I agree with others in this thread that the stuff they recorded then has stood the test of time for me where stuff from their contemporaries sounds pretty dated to me now. It would be interesting to find the people I knew back then - they'd all be Dads now... I wonder if they'd still dismiss this lot?

btltez likes this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I really liked Moseley Shoals, Marchin' Already, One From The Modern and the comp, B-Sides, Seasides & Freerides. I can't get anywhere near these titles on vinyl though. Way too pricey.

18. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Listening to Moseley Shoals (via itunes unfortunately). Great band, wish I had "discovered" them in the 90s, but I was a Dad then as well. Vinyl reissues for this band would be a must.

19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

As I stated earlier in this thread Moseley Shoals is available. It was out last year as a limited edition RSD release but is still to be had. You'll have to bleed 50£ or so but it's worth it. An original will cost you closer to or more than 100£.

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's a joke tag. I can't believe how seriously people take genres round here.

It's supposed to refer to the meat-and-potatoes rock music that band's were putting out in the mid-90s, which was something that dads at the time would enjoy, rather than dismiss as a noise, or whatever it is parents are supposed to do to their kids' music tastes. I always thought it was quite funny because it's exactly what my old man did.

21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

yeah she could have meant box set I suppose. I really want One From The Modern but on the entire internet there are only like 5 copies and not one for under 200 dollars. I just paid 125 for Mechanical Wonder and Hyperactive free shipping which is still more than I would pay for anything but these threads have got me totally immersed in the band again can't stop listening to them. Simon's lyrics and voice just blow me away. You get blown away. Heh. Pun intended.

mrjinks likes this.
  22. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Moseley Shoals was supposed to be derivative I believe. It was the modern day version of Quadrophenia. If you know the story of Jimmy in Q you would know Day We Caught the Train is taken directly from that. Maybe obvious to most here but maybe not.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Hmm.... I always thought it was a reference to Jimi Hendrix and his "Hear My Train A-Comin'". But I guess Quad makes more sense.

ian christopher likes this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Nice, never thought of it! Again, these guys really appeal to me - I need to listen to ALL these albums again, before I even vote in my own poll! I remember being unimpressed with North Atlantic Drift when I got it, but I'm spinning it this morning and really enjoying it. One thing I remember being ticked off about, was that I ordered an import copy of the CD, because I figured it would never get released in the states. Then a couple months later, it came out in the states with bonus tracks! :realmad:

I have the early b-sides disc, are there other b-sides particularly worth seeking out? I also have the live acoustic album, but are there any live standout albums?

25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

My favourite 90s brit-pop band, they had a consistent sound and the quality didn't deop off much throughout their run. My vote is for Moseley Shoals

bleachershane likes this.