Hello, fans of Ocean Colour Scene...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Ok, so I finally got around to giving this a serious listen and I can say this is highly recommended and is of the same high quality as the previous RSD release, Moseley Shoals: beautiful flat vinyl (green this time) and superb sound (although clearly sourced from digital). This thing is very dynamic and can be played at very loud volume with no fatique. Ocean Colour Scene fan and vinyl listener? Just get it!

Musiko and andybeau like this.
  2. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Townshend REcords UK just posted it for sale!! Act now! RSD 2018

slop101 likes this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Nice. I wonder if I should get a second copy.... it is one of my top-10 favorite albums of all time.

btltez likes this.
  4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

New interview with Simon...

I liked this bit:

"And the idea is to start writing a new album now.”

Yes, finally!
    I was getting worried. This has been the longest, by far, they've gone between albums.

btltez likes this.
  5. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I first discovered the band with their debut album, and in particular, this very song, "Sway", which I still love to this day. They would certainly change their sound with their following albums, but I continued to dig them.

Interpolantics and btltez like this.
  6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Steve teased that they're putting out a 4-song EP (all new songs) on vinyl, sold through their shows later this year.
    Kinda bummed it's only 4 songs since they've gone so long without any new materiel.
    Still, I better freaking be able to score a copy somehow!

7. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

yeah I wonder why four songs? they are gonna be pricey I bet

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

It's possible that it's a 4-song teaser from an upcoming album that'll come out next year.

Other bands have done this.

btltez likes this.
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Cover for the 4-song EP...

[​IMG]

They say it'll be a 10" vinyl sold at shows, though that picture is clearly a CD.

Who wants to go to an OCS show this December and buy me one?

btltez and mrjinks like this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

me too me too!! ;-)

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

12. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Hey, I just got over you
    The world's a bigger place
    A better place than you
    And hey, I've just found my head
    head in a bigger space
    head in a better place

13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

4-song EP out today!
    You can hear them on the typical streaming sites.
    10" vinyl will be available at their shows, and left-overs copies after the tour will be sold on their website.

The 4 songs, or re-recordings of them, will likely be on the new full album out in mid-2019.

btltez likes this.
  14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

just bought it on iTunes after streaming it on Spotify. Figured I should support. It's good.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I still only have one Ocean Colour Scene proper album and one B-sides collection, Moseley Shoals and B-Sides, Seasides and Freerides. Loved both and played them so much back in 1997, but faded away from following them after reading so much good about Marchin' Already but never being able to actually find a copy back in those pre-internet days.

16. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It came out on vinyl last RSD. I don’t know if they’re still around and what the price will be, but I do know it sounds really good and it’s a great album.

GuidedByJonO))) and btltez like this.
  17. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

IMO their debut album is unfairly maligned. I always considered "Is She Coming Home" to be one of their best tracks

Is She Coming Home

Rocketdog likes this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Maligned by the band themselves, mostly. They NEVER seem to play a single song off it live.
    The songs are fine, it's the production that kills it.

19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

There's not a thing wrong with the production on that album, and it works for me just fine. What's more likely the story is that they were perhaps pushed to sound a certain way - i.e. what the label thought was "happening" at the time - and it may not have been what the band truly wanted to sound like, but they went along with it. (Kind of like Blur or Radiohead with their first albums as opposed to the rest.) I can respect that, if it's the case, and judging by how different their follow-ups sounded, it may likely be.

btltez and Interpolantics like this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I doubt it was just the sound they were unhappy with, mostly due to how they've ignored every song on the album since putting out their 2nd album (save for re-recording Justine as a b-side). Blur, even Radiohead, still play songs from their first, whereas OCS completely and utterly ignore it. I'm surprised it's even mentioned on their website.

21. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

North Atlantic Drift.

btltez and Haristar like this.
  22. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Steve Cradock must be good as he is the guitarist with, what remains of, The Specials.

btltez likes this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

mrjinks and btltez like this.
  24. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

My friends and I ĺall rate Moseley Shoals as a fantastic album. I really do love the album.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

From a pure skills standpoint, maybe. It wasn't the kind of music that needed impressive lead guitar chops, so I mean, I think '93-'97 Graham Coxon was a more inventive guitarist, and Nick McCabe was a mad genius unlike anyone else in 90's rock, but yeah, Cradock in a traditional sense probably was the best UK guitarist of the decade. I mean, there's a reason Weller's kept him around for 30 years while turning over the rest of his band multiple times. But at the same time, he's too traditional to get the props he probably deserves.