Help 112 Volts on Chassis

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clay, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay

Clay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have 2 stereos in the den.
    1) C20 pre ESS power amp dynaco st70 bi amp
    2) Fisher 400 with speakers and turntable
    I just picked up my equipment from repair.

I got a little shock off my Fisher faceplate.

So I got out a voltmeter and I am getting 112 volts from the chassis of my ESS power amp to the chassis of the Fisher. Actually I get 112 volts off any component and the Fisher. C20 chassis or Dynaco chassis to Fisher chassis.
    These are 2 separate stereos and only connected by the $5 power strip.

1) do I uninstall the cheater plug on the ess amp
    2) switch the plug on the Fisher.
    3) toss the power strip
    4) complain to the guys I just gave $600 to replace caps and clean the units up.

Any other tests you suggest?

2. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

If the Fisher has a two prong plug, unplug and replug it 180 degrees in the A/C socket.

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool Dropped it to 2v would that be normal? no more shock when touching both chassis.
    Thx

4. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

That is better. :) Don't know what normal is for the Fisher. Someone may post an answer. :thumbsup:

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It almost sounds as though one side of the power cord is connected to the chassis. Only semi-joking there: is one of the windings on the primary side of the transformer touching the chassis somehow? Is there an other bad component in the system that might be shorted to chassis ground? That just sounds potentially dangerous (no pun intended).

It might be worth taking it back to where you had it fixed up. That's a flat-out health hazard. And a good example of why modern equipment uses three-pronged plugs which would ground that chassis to the earth ground to bleed off potentially dangerous voltages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.