Help add Cd/usb inputs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveNaad, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveNaad

DaveNaad Member Thread Starter

Dear all,

I have stalked this forum for a little while & I love learning from you! I'm hoping you will be able to help me add to my system.

I am wanting to be able to listen to some of my old CDs and would like the ability to play tracks off of a USB.

I currently have a Yamaha Rs202d receiver connected to two mission mx3 floor standing speakers.

I need a reliable device that can play CDs relatively well, has a remote and preferably either a small footprint or as thin as possible.

Would a separate like a Yamaha cd-s300 produce better quality audio than a mini/micro system?

I was looking at a second hand s300 but the footprint of a mini system is appealing. Whatever I get it needs to be sub £200, could you recommend something which will help me along my audio journey please.

I look forward to reading your replies.
    Dave

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

The Yamaha CD player seems like a solution. It, of course, plays CDs and also accepts a USB flash drive into the port on its front panel. Your USB drive must be formatted FAT16 or FAT32 and your files ordered by track within a single level of folders. For example:

<FOLDER>Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    <FILES>
    01 - Speak to Me
    02 - Breathe
    03 - On The Run
    04 - ETC​

Additionally, you will need to run FAT Sorter against your USB drive to put the files in a creation order that matches the folder structure since, like many unsophisticated USB readers, the Yamaha will only play files as follows: "Playback for USB starts in order by date and time of creation". Oh, and it only supports MP3 and WMA formats. These are not insurmountable problems; I had to do all this for the USB key I made for my father's Honda and it worked fine. Depending on the width of the alphanumeric display on the front of the Yamaha, you may need to abbreviate your folder names so they fit.

Suggest you read the owner's manual before purchasing:
    https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/318599/CD-S300_G.pdf

Chilli likes this.
  3. DaveNaad

DaveNaad Member Thread Starter

Thank you @Apesbrain for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful reply. The usb ordering info is very useful and I will read the manual.
    I was very close to getting a cheaper mini hifi before you replied. Sound quality would have probably been terrible though compared to the s300.

4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Totally recommend the Yamaha S300. You can also connect an iPod (if anybody out there still has one.) ;)
    It might cost a little more than £200 but check around.

5. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

If you want to play lossless files from USB, the Marantz CD6006 is an option. The files need to be converted to WAV which can take up a lot of space.

fogalu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.