Help dbpoweramp rip- dropouts in songs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just ripped a CD of The Who's "Quadrophenia" and for the first time ever I have noticed some songs with dropouts / gaps in them.
    The disc appears spotless, CD drive is a few months old.

Any way to fix this? Thanks very much.

2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

What was your AccurateRip result?

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What playback software are you using? My suspicion is that the software/equipment isn't playing gapless track transitions properly."Quadrophenia" is an album that has tracks that flow from one to the next without a break in the sound.

4. Carl Swanson

Seemed to me he was referring to dropouts and gaps within the songs. I may be wrong.

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. avanti1960

the rip came back with a popup window as not able to run accurate rip for some reason.

yes- the dropouts are within the song- very annoying!
    Playing back on my Sony HAP player.

6. Ham Sandwich

Do you have another CD drive to rip with?

When I run into problems like that I try a different drive to rip with. Then if that doesn't work I try a different ripping program like EAC or CUERipper.

showtaper likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Hmmm.

I've ripped a good 3,ooo discs on dbPoweramp w/ AccurateRip and I've never seen a message like that.

Might be in the settings or something. Maybe someone else can pop in with more detailed advice.

EDIT: Hope you get it figured out.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

It's possible that the AccurateRip server is down or some other internet problem that's keeping AccurateRip from working.

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

But the AccurateRip is just a confirmation. His rips are not right. I use this software a lot and it never let me down. Don't even know what to suggest. I would try another drive first.

10. Ham Sandwich

dBpoweramp gets the AccurateRip data and checksums before it starts ripping. Then uses the AccurateRip data to verify each read as it is ripping the CD. If it finds a read error it goes back and re-rips that section of the CD. That's the default way dBpoweramp does secure ripping. If dBpoweramp can't find the AccurateRip data for the CD then it is not going to notice read errors during the rip. dBpoweramp does have an "ultra secure" ripping mode that will detect read errors similar to EAC without the aid of AccurateRip, but that setting is not the default.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I would post this to dbpoweramp's forum, the developer is quite active on their forum.

12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Got it, but in this case the OP getting obvious gaps he is noticing himself. Even if a database doesn't exist (which happens sometimes), the rip should be accurate even if it is not proven. That is my point. The software call them "Secure" if I remember correctly. "Accurate" only when proven with AccurateRip as you said.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I agree. I think that there may have been an error in the rip itself. What do the logs indicate? Was each track 100% accurate? .[/QUOTE]

14. Ham Sandwich

That depends on how dBpoweramp is configured. dBpoweramp can do a burst rip mode that does no error recovery.

dBpoweramp is designed around having AccurateRip to do fast accurate rips. If the CD isn't in AccurateRip or the AccurateRip data can't be retrieved from the internet then dBpoweramp loses its advantage. dBpoweramp can still do good rips of scratched CDs without AccurateRip, but you need to enable the "ultra secure" mode and configure the ultra secure mode correctly.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Try to re-rip. My old Japan for U.S. copy ripped fine.

I would re-do the settings, secure ripping and ultra-secure enabled. Re-do drive offset if necessary.

If it still doesn't work, try ripping with EAC instead.

drgn95 likes this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

It's also possible that the CD has a scratch or defect at one of the track divisions. That could/would cause dBpoweramp to not be able to find the CD in AccurateRip. The algorithm for finding a CD in AccurateRip depends on accurate track index timing positions and accurate offset detection and other similar data. If the CD is scratched or damaged and dBpoweramp cannot get a good reading of that data then it won't be able to find the CD in AccurateRip.

That's one reason why trying a different ripping drive can help. Some drives can read through some scratches and defects better than other drives.

That's also a reason why switching to a different ripping program (like EAC or CUERipper) can help. Different programs use different methods to find track index positions.

Randoms, patient_ot and avanti1960 like this.
  17. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I have the same issue. In fact, almost without fail, the very first track I rip from any CD will come back "inaccurate". Sometimes all tracks will come back irregular, but that is rare. I also have "gaps" in quite a few songs ripped by dbP, but kinda thought it's nearly standard practice, as that's been happening for as long as I've been ripping CD's - about twenty years, I'd say.

Is there, actually, a remedy?

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

As other have said, the dBPoweramp forum is active and the developer very helpful. What ripping settings are you using? I haven’t encountered this as an issue in 1200+ rips with dBPoweramp. It could be a setup issue or possibly even a drive issue.

Randoms and tin ears like this.
  19. avanti1960

seems like this is the issue. i turned on "fix errors" and now the ripping process is taking a long time 6 minutes in and 0% complete. I hear the drive chugging and clicking and spinning very slowly.
    I'll try another program and then another CD.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Is it an internal or external drive? Have you been able to rip a known clean disc? I had an issue with a USB drive getting stuck at the start of ripping a few years back that resolved after an exchange of emails with the developer and a few tweaks to advanced settings.

Randoms likes this.
  21. avanti1960

Internal drive, this is the first issue I have ever had ripping CDs.

22. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Try the XLD program which is free, and compare results.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Different drive, different settings.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are ripping a lot of CDs, I highly suggest getting a good full size drive an a external USB 3.0 enclosure to go with it. Cost is around $60-75 total but it's better than burning out an internal drive that might be discontinued or more expensive to replace. I've burned out two internals now. The first one was no big deal but the one I recently burned out is a bigger PITA. With the external enclosure and full size drive, I can replace the drive for $20-25 if I end up burning it out. I'm also a lot less limited on the type of drive.

Mike-48 and Randoms like this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I also use an external USB full size drive, blu-ray capable. When a track or two on a scratched CD stubbornly doesn't want to rip, then I try it on the internal drive. Quite often it does the trick.
    I setup my dBpoweramp years ago, but I believe the AccurateRip rip is active by default. It is risky to rip blindly.
    I have never experienced gaps or any other issues on a file playack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.