HELP! Denon and Oppo problem...stumped!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by let him run..., Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 5.1 and stereo analog outputs on the 83SE are both active at all times. It has to be a connection or setting issue in the Denon.

On page 61 of the 83 manual it states: Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings.

So the stereo analog output of the 83 would not be altered by the settings in the speaker configuration setting. If you used HDMI for all multichannel (movies and music) you could use the Left Front, Right Front and Sub outputs of the 5/7.1 analog output for stereo music. Set the Down Mix setting to Stereo, set the Left Front and Right Front speakers to small and the Sub to On. I've never tried this but it should accomplish what you're trying to do. That is use the analog output and better DACs of the 83SE for stereo music and be able to use your sub.

On page 62 of the 83 manual it states: Stereo - This mode down-mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change. For original multi-channel content the surround and center channels will be mixed with the left and right front channels. Recommended for use with TV sets or stereo receiver/amplifiers.

Does the 83 do all the processing (Down Mix and Bass Management) in analog or is there a conversion to digital? I'd guess it's all analog but that could be incorrect.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

caupina likes this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The 7.1/2ch outputs on the OPPO are active at the same time.

I have lots of Denons almost identical to yours. And all the OPPOs. What we’re describing has really got to work, as I’ve done it myself. There must be some piece we’re missing here?

caupina, Bill Mac and forthlin like this.
  3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member Thread Starter

So...went back to the Denon, to source select, then chose CD where the 2 channel outs from the Oppo are plugged in. And still no sub. Right and left yes, but no sub. Another thing which seems odd, there is no onscreen info displayed. Not the huge Oppo logo, no track info, nothing. Just the grey Denon logo that you'd get for an unassigned input. But, I'm most definitely getting a signal from the two channel outs. It's also slightly louder than the DVD/blu ray input, because when I set up the CD input level, I bumped it up slightly.
    I'm going back to pg 34 (Audio Setup) and see if I need to redo some stuff.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are you certain you're not in "Direct" mode for that CD input?

5. let him run...

Man, I am not certain of anything anymore!
    But, I think all the Surround Modes, of which "Direct" is part of, are all digital.
    Being all analog audio inputs, I don't have access to any of the Surround Modes.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not true :) All of the inputs on the 5308ci (except for the 7.1 IIRC) can be digitized via surround modes. Direct mode does not digitize the analog signal.

Go back to your CD input, and make sure the sound mode is STEREO. Should show up as such on the front panel (not the output channels, the sound mode).

7. let him run...

I have just 2 things going into the Denon, the Oppo, but maybe it counts for 2 because the DVD/blu ray is one source via the 5.1 analog outs and now the 2 channel analog outs going into the CD jacks. The only other thing going into the Denon is the cable box. It's the only thing utilizing the audio of the HDMI cable.
    It's the only thing that has access to the Surround Mode settings. I simply can't access those settings from either the DVD input or the CD input. All the different modes are grey and unlit.
    I can only futz around with Surround Mode settings if I'm connected via HDMI.
    So, I can't, from my CD input, select stereo.
    This seems like something that should be really basic, it doesn't seem like it should take so much time to find a solution. It seems SO basic that a problem like this shouldn't even exist to need a solution.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Use the front panel button for Direct/Stereo (left side), while on your CD input.

9. let him run...

Doesn't change anything. None of the Surround Mode buttons do a thing.
    I appreciate all the suggestions!
    Currently I'm waiting in line for Denon support to call me back. Yesterday I waited for close to an hour, only to get a recorded message that customer support is closed.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I wouldn’t hold out any hope for Denon to help out, especially on a Saturday.

Check the manual for how to do a microprocessor reset.

Just seems your receiver is behaving in a way I’ve never experienced.

11. let him run...

Well...they are open a WHOLE EXTRA HOUR on Saturday!
    I appreciate your deep dive on this!
    Stay tuned for either the fix or a posted picture of a flaming pile of electronics in the back yard.

SamS likes this.
  12. let him run...

Spent a half hour or so with Denon. Tried a thing or two.
    Got to the end of his check off list.
    The only thing left is to reset the microprocessor. And starting from scratch.
    Fingers crossed on that one.

13. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Make sure you save your settings on your PC before resetting the microprocessor so you won't have to start from zero again.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.