Help. I need a HDCD/ SACD/ BLU RAY Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by onm3rcur7, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

But it sounds as though thats more a software modification than a actual physical/hardware modification... is it?

2. onm3rcur7

[​IMG]

Hi... do you guys see a black line in the middle.. this is the only problem this machine has but he doesnt know why. We changed hdmi and still the same.

Do you know what could be?

Im in his house trying this thing. Audio works perfect..

3. onm3rcur7

Fixed! :) we reset the system and works! Buying it!

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Hey result! Nice score!

5. onm3rcur7

Im a happy guy... driving back home to set up this bad boy!

Thanks for all the help folks!
    :goodie:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. onm3rcur7

Ok folks,
    I got home and realised I need to buy a hdmi and rca to rca cables so I won't be able to try anything tonight... however I am admiring my set up and still makes me smile :)
    [​IMG]

The only cable that I have left to be used when looking for them is this one ... and I dont even know which one is it or how is it called... What do I use this for? I think someone gave it to me years ago!
    [​IMG]

Anyone knows?

7. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

One looks like an optical...the other coaxial maybe???:shh:

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  8. onm3rcur7

Is that normal? Could i use it to connect from optical to coaxial...? Would it have any impact on signal being converted or sound?

9. onm3rcur7

10. Brother_Rael

The one in the right is optical, the one in the left looks like a headphone jack, sort of thing you got on phones when they had them, or Apple Airport Express, etc.

11. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I'm not really familiar with that type of cable so I'll let other chime in but it seems to me that it would allow you to conect a laptop to a receiver or DAC to have whatever signal being transmitted digitally.

12. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I think it's just one cable not two different ones.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The one on the left is a mini optical. You may find that it’s only an mini adaptor which you can remove and there will be a standard optical connector like the one on the right You can use this but there will be no high rez so you will need to use hdmi or rca cables

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. onm3rcur7

Thanks guys.

I just noticed something ... the cambridge cxu is missing the usb wifi dangle. Are there any other alternatives I can use to connect to wifi? I could use the ethernet cable but the internet modem is at the other end of the room and i dont really want to! Ive contacted the seller to check if he forgot to give me this or if he was using on of his own... bit dissapointed about this...will have to wait and see what he says tomorrow.

15. Brother_Rael

Oh I see! Right, I've got one of those in that case. Used to use it to hook up to an Airport Express I think. Haven't used it for years!

onm3rcur7 and caupina like this.
  16. onm3rcur7

Ok, so the seller says he had his unit connected via ethernet cable as his wifi router was next to it and connection more stable on cable (he used to stream music a lot) and that he lost the wifi dongle that came with it...

However i wont stream nearly as much...and my wifi router is so far away and ideally dont want to move it.

Do you know any compatible /universal wifi usb dongles for players like cambridge cxu? I cant find any info online...

17. Brother_Rael

Have a chat with Richer Sounds in Edinburgh. I can't recall the dongle number that came with the 752BD, but imagine the CXU will be the same.

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  18. onm3rcur7

Called the guy in richer sounds glasgow (clueless) but said he'd call me back once he found out what to do... called richer sound in edinburgh and got the most amazing/creative response.

So i have now, like suggested, bought a wifi signal booster that can be plugged on socket next to cambridge cxu and from there i can run an ethernet cable to it. Done!.
    (I hope it works!)

FVDnz, Brother_Rael and Ham Sandwich like this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The wifi extender/bridge thing is a good option. The Cambridge dongle was likely 2.4 ghz only and a weak antenna. The wifi extender/bridge thing will likely do 2.4 and 5 ghz and get stronger signal.

Other options are powerline ethernet or MoCA (over coax if you're wired for coax between the router and audio system). Or switch to doing a mesh wifi network. Some of the mesh nodes have a LAN ethernet port. Place a mesh node next to the Cambridge and run an ethernet cable to the Cambridge. The new mesh wifi routers are pretty neat, but somewhat expensive.

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  20. onm3rcur7

Okay, today I've learnt a lesson.

I got home today, called a friend and put all the system together...played the sacd pink floyd layer of dark side of the moon and within 30 seconds a pause of like 3 seconds, skip and continue of playing the song happened.

Not a good start. My happiness to the ground. We gave it another opportunity, check the cd (brand new) and played again.. no skips this time, at least on track 1... skip comes again on song 2... and song 4.... change disc.

Tried 4 cds more, different formats and the same results.

Called guy in edinburgh and explained situation...and ask for money back.

Seller says ok. Drive with my friend...We go to his home in Edinburgh (again) and tried it there. It works perfectly via analog and digital outputs... while talking to the seller i show him a video that i recorded this afternoon identifying this problem... he spots my playstation is sitting right on top of the cambridge.

We come to think the problem was the vibrations created by the volume make the ps3 move slightly creating jumps on the disc.... could totally be the case as in his house all same cds are playing perfectly.

At this point the guy is happy to give me complete refund... which i decide to take.

I have to acknowledge that once at home, earlier trying the sacd, i felt the improvement was so small that my friend and I looked at each other and thought /said it wasn't as mindblowing as i thought it was gonna be. Same with cds... to be honest... the sounded pretty similar to my ps3. If anything, i liked the ps3 sound better . This is only my opinion but i came to the conclusion that I am getting too obsessed reading about music (in this forum mainly haha) and thank you all for the fun and knowledge acquired ...but ive learnt a lesson that i had lately preying in my head... stop obsessing with finding an utopian sound that is just in your head and start enjoying more what i have (system that i acquired not that long ago and actually like how it sounds)

I lost 15 pounds in petrol but I came back happier home without anything on my hands today .

Im just gonna open a cold beer and enjoy some music.

Thanks for the thoughts and the support.

Enjoy the sounds of music!:cheers:

jeffsab, FVDnz, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

One of the first signs of an SACD Player failing is it will no longer play the SACD layer. This can be fixed by just replacing the laser assembly.

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  22. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

My recommendation is for the 95. I got mine used and it's great. The fan is very quiet.

Bill Mac and TarnishedEars like this.
  23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. However this is exactly why I was so strongly recommending a used Oppo. This issue happens with lots of SACD players in my experience. But I've never seen this happen with an Oppo.

The Pinhead and Bill Mac like this.
  24. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I have no idea why the thread starter experienced these reading problems, but you do realise that the Mediatek drive in the Cambridge CXU is exactly the same as the one in the contemporary Oppo (103/105) don't you?

patient_ot likes this.
  25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I know that these both use the same mediatek chipset. But whether these use identical drives containing identical laser is not something which I have been convinced about yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.