Help, I need somebody. Advice for Digital or Analog upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MisterKite, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterKite

MisterKite Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Current system and dilemma. I want to preface this with saying that I work hard for my money, and I don't make a lot of it doing what I do. So, I am forced to stay within my budget which is pretty modest, and upgrade those components to reach their full potential without paying what Stereophile recommends. I believe in specs/science/graphs - but I am open minded enough to hear why something may be better subjectively, as long as it's followed up with why and what makes it better. Also, my listening position for my surround sound is more optimal for playback. The turntable is tucked in a 10'x10' box (pretty much) in an L shaped room. With some room treatment for reflection points (DIY from specs of a highly regarded engineer).

• 2.0 - UTurn Orbit Custom (acrylic platter) with a 2M Bronze > Pluto phono Pre (may upgrade down the line) > NAD 356BEE w/DAC > B6.2's

• 5.1/4.0/2.1 - HTPC (Optimized Win10 running HQ Player/Roon/JRiver - great for BD rips of Beatles stuff!) > Yamaha HTIB (has DTS-MA, and TrueHD) > Topping D50 DAC (for 2.1 DSD/SACD rips)

I have found the following on my research, great spec'd speakers for the price under 1k. But, would the money be better spent on the digital front?

I have arrived at the following:

Multichannel

RSL 3.1 (leaving the cheap surrounds for the time being, upgrading those later) - the front 3 are in prime position for listening.

NHT 5.1 system - SuperZero 2.1 in the front, SuperZero mini 2.1 rears, undecided on sub. Maybe the BIC sub
    Have heard these are GREAT bang for buck, and being sealed with keyhole mounts. Can possibly be superior according to the space I'm in.

OR

Stereo/Analog

Magnepan LRS - Hard to beat these for 650 a pair. But again, small space for analog area, so can they shine in a box like area 10'x10' (WAF, forced into this area for dedicated vinyl system/rack) So, nearfield is all I can really enjoy. However, I can drag the LRS' out when listening, and then place them back due to them being highly maneuverable. And the small space may help with bass extension from rear reflection.

KEF LS50 - mixed feelings about them being rear ported. But, hard not to acknowledge them as contenders.

Help is always, always appreciated here at SHtv, guys.

Music prefereces are mostly: 60's rock (Beatles/Stones, Clapton etc), Cool Jazz (Miles, Chet, Bill Evans, etc). Sometimes, 90's alternative (rarer by the year, but occasionally I break out Nevermind/In Utero).

One last thing - Out of left field; upgrade my current table to a 1k table (VPI?). And worry about the speakers later. (Although, I find that this may be throwing cash away at the moment, considering speakers being the most important, and probably the weakest link in my 2.0)

WAF - We're at a 9 out of 10 here guys, the smaller the footprint, the better. The Maggies are cool, because I can just move them. No floorstanders unfortunately.

Notes: I didn't like the Klipsch sound (they just sounded weird to me/ may have been because it was in Best Buy with unfamiliar tracks). Polk didn't wow me either. No offense to anyone. Personal taste.

Cheers.

M.K.

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

MisterKite likes this.
  3. MisterKite

Sorry - it was a bit difficult to see your comment about the KEF's - but thank you for your input. So, you say upgrade the stereo/analog? I feel like with my equipment/budget, that's a highway to upgraditus.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I used a small 12x12 listening room for a few years. During those years I had both the Kef LS50 as well as Magnepan MG12qr speakers in the room. If you intend to do most of your listening in a dedicated sweet spot, the small Magnepans should sound fine. With the Kefs, you can sit in the spot for ideal listening, or roam around and still get great sound. If I had to chose between those two, I'd go Kef.

I have no opinion on your surround options other than to say the room seems awful small for it.

5. MisterKite

Well - its an L shape. The TV/Surround area is along the long part of the L. I will illustrate

6. MisterKite

[​IMG]
    Excuse the crude 2D dwg. This is my condo. The box to the right is a bathroom/laundry area so its connected to the kitchen. To the right of the 2 channel system is a door opening to the kitchen. Which causes me to move the right channel ever so slightly forward to compensate. Not ideal, but it is what it is. See what I mean about the 5.1 being (and two channel digital) system being maybe a better option here? Behind me is a closet door. Which, again doesn't help matters.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Plan for what the system will be used for by you and others most of the time. If it’s a dedicated TV/HT room, plan for surround, otherwise go with 2-channel. For what it’s worth, check KEF’s web site for an LS50 center speaker, then you can plan for the rears. Depending on what you do for an amp, they should have a 2 channel option for music (Yamaha does this).

8. MisterKite

Yes - I was leaning towards the 5.1 speakers first. I will replace the receiver next. It has sufficient power for the time being.
    But I know replacing those HTIB cheap "full range" 2-3/4" woofers will have a tremendous impact on SQ.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Your 2 channel system looks pretty solid to me. You want to replace the Elac's with KEF LS50? I guess that's a step up but those Elac's really punch above their price range from what I've read. If you want to replace the Orbit, the new Technics 1200 mk7 hits your price range. That's my next TT after I pay off holiday bills in 2020.

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have you ever thought about combining the two systems together?

beowulf and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. MisterKite

I have... but I need small footprint speakers (Like the NHT SuperZero Mini or 2.1's, or RSL's) Something wall mountable. I looked at HTD - and they look interesting but maybe a bit overpriced.

the Elacs do sound magnificent. If you did a blind test (I've heard wayyyy pricier speakers, and was less than impressed) The ELAC's are natural sounding. That is the best way to describe them. Slightly warm. But - gives you the music as it is.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Have you considered a nice headphone setup for 2 channel listening? Just a thought.

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to hear the LS50's?

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Then do that. What is in the main system now? That's the Yamaha HTIB? (which model?) How are those speakers mounted? If you can upload some PICTURES it would get much better suggestions I think.

I totally think you should work on the main system. Because that corner you have the turntable in, that looks like a mild audio hell to me :eek:. Also, it is quite possible that with the no doubt cheesy HTIB speakers your spouse has never heard good sound-move up to some NHT or ELAC and maybe you'll hear "Oh! It's so much better! Big floorstanders may be a kind of gold standard but it's definitely possible to get good sound from bookshelf speakers, especially if you can shove a subwoofer someplace.*

I have long been an NHT fan but also like the ELAC-their designer Andrew Jones is very talented. If you like their sound, go for that. But prioritize a Uni-Fi for the center; the coax midrange/tweeter will avoid "Venetian blind" dispersion problems. Move your B6.2s to the main system, or if you can spend some more get upgraded ones for L/R and move B6.2s (2.0? or original?) as rears. And I'd move the rears not right next to someone's head on the couch. On a different note, would your wife accept slim towers? There's an ELAC Uni-Fi Slim FSU5, not too big at all. Or, would she object to the LRS?

And yes, forget about the turntable until your speakers are much better.

*If listening is really just on the couch, consider a nearfield sub(s) mounted under or behind or very near that. Invisible, and won't boom the whole house. The current $/woof winner is maybe this
    Monoprice 12in 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer, Black - Monoprice.com
    not really enough power but hey $99 with free shipping, dang! You could get 'em by the dozen!! I sent one to my brother for Christmas, hit me up later for a review once he's actually been able to try it out. Or this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Wireless-Subwoofer-Brushed-R-12SWi/dp/B01N0HJEOX
    with a wireless module and a bunch more power. More $$ than that, the serious subs come in like $500-600 it seems.

15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

For the main speakers, some people forget that floorstanding speakers don't take up anymore space than bookshelfs on stands. Foot print is about the same. Like another poster said, Elac has some nice floorstanding models in their next range up. Then you could keep the B6's for your home theater. Upgrades on both ends with one purchase!

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yipe.

Gee, we haven't had a tight-budget, difficult-room, lofty-aspirations thread in here for, what, two days now. :laugh:

Your vinyl space looks restrictive to the point of being punitive.

I'm gonna suggest something I hate doing: combine everything into one system. Only in the interest of having a better overall in-room listening experience. Turntable can stay where it is; you have to get up to change LPs anyway. (I'm not a vinyl guy, so I'll cheerfully suggest putting a new TT far on the back burner.)

You're clearly on the money with NHT; sealed speakers can be placed close to walls. But muscle up to the SuperOne 2.1 for the fronts. Don't skimp on the sub; get a sealed servo sub that has both low-level and speaker-level inputs (see below). Have a look at Rythmik: Rythmik Audio • Direct Servo subwoofer products

Otherwise I don't recommend speaker brands, as I can't intuitively know what you consider "good"; NHT is better than "good" to me is all I can say.

Then, as budget allows, add an integrated amp with HT Bypass to optimize your vinyl (and other analog sources), and get the AV receiver out of the analog path altogether. If you have an AVR that is less than 7-8 yrs old, that should hold you for a while.

You should actually consider a 2nd sub, esp one that has speaker-level inputs that can be connected to the fronts (so they will be "Large" as far as the AVR setup is concerned) and you will effectively have unprocessed full-range audio for 2-channel sources. Arduous, but worth it if vinyl is important.

That said, subs are VERY subjective for audiophiles with varying preferences / philosophies. (One poster in another thread has suggested that bass is for children. o_O) You are the one to determine how much bass, and when etc.

I understand that my suggestions may well undermine everything you want. :laugh:

Good luck.

MisterKite likes this.
  17. MisterKite

Wife says floorstanders are no-go. She hates them. Is there a wife-return policy? :laugh:

@gd0 I went with the NHT SuperOne 2.1's for all 5.

The .1 NHT (10") wants $360 for. Which I think for that, is there better out there? They claim theirs is more for music than movies - which is what I am aiming for.

The two systems are connected - digitally. There isn't room for the TT where the 5.1 system/TV (wall mounted) is.

The center channel rests on top of a re-purposed antique dresser. (Which is made of quality wood, and an heirloom)

So. I guess I am down to the .1 (sub) - Purchase the NHT? Or go with the low end REL perhaps? I don't know if it's in the rest of my budget. I'm trying to keep all speakers under 1k. Ideally, all said and done for 800USD. I will use my exisiting AVR (it has TrueHD/Master Audio). I am not ready for the Atmos jump until we get a house. Then I will do a proper in-ceiling setup. But I digress, all of your insight is helpful and appreciated guys!

gd0 likes this.
  18. MisterKite

I just got some Sennheiser 6xx;s for Xmas. They should do nicely. With a JDS Labs O2 Amp, with the Topping D50, I think it will sound great. But, that isn't where I listen mostly at home. That primarily for work.

19. MisterKite

Thank you - I have heard nothing but great things about the NHT SuperZero's 2.1. Sealed I think is the ticket for my space. Musical - and high dynamics. Money well spent. The LRS will wait until they can "breathe" and when I upgrade the TT (soon) - interesting side note. Magnepan was extremely rude via email. So was RSL. Food for thought guys.

20. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I'm surprised she is OK with two different systems! At least you got that! Enjoy your new gear!

21. MisterKite

[​IMG]
    She is - lots of begging. She hated floorstanding speakers and speaker stands. She is old fashioned. She didn't mind the analog system in the corner because its on a farmhouse looking vinyl cabinet

Like this - but much larger - like 8' in length. Thats what the Elacs are on - with sorbothane feet.

It acutally works quite well. Although, I do get some resonance if I turn up the volume a lot from the table. Even though those are on sorbothane feet as well. The connectors are tight - but it still feeds back. Again, only at high volumes. But I don't listen too loud anyway. Just loud enough to enjoy it. Loud enough = not hurting your ears loud.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

23. MisterKite

This guy gets it.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Your username also is a major clue. :D

MisterKite likes this.
  25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member