Help me build new system around Legacy Focus SE

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RocknOut, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocknOut

RocknOut Active Member Thread Starter

Hello, long time lurker and now looking for advice on amplification - integrated or amp + pre-amp. Getting ready to move into a new home and building a new system. Room approximately 21' x 31' semi-cathedral ceiling. Not a dedicated room, multi-use great room & HT, but music 1st priority. No room treatments but open to suggestions.

Speakers will be Legacy Focus SE, already built & awaiting shipment.
    Current sources: Yamaha CD-S2100 (re-furb), Oppo 203, Onkyo C-7030, Project Debut III (with the built in phono).

Listening habits 80% CD/SACD and 20% LP. Musical omnivore, but primary Rock - Classic & Hard (Stones, Zep, Sabbath, Doors, CCR, Bowie, Allmans, Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Johnny Winter), Metal (traditional mostly/not extreme - early Priest, Scorpions, Maiden, Megadeth, Motorhead, Monster Magnet, Nebula, Purple, Van Halen), 80's (Talking Heads, Blondie, Cure, Blasters, etc.), some Blues & Jazz. No classical or country to speak of. Usually listen medium volume to moderately loud (never took any SPL readings).

Budget let's say $15K msrp new equipment. Lust after McIntosh C52/MC462 or 452 if right price. Probably more realistic I could afford MA9000. Other possibilities would be Bryston, PS Audio, PASS (INT-250), Levinson (585), Luxman, Marantz refrerence gear. Would like to buy US made, but other gear not a non-starter. Want to stay SS for now.

BTW, never had this level of equipment, coming from a NAD356 and before that Pioneer and Onkyo receivers. And I just turned 60, so my hearing is what it is. Any assistance creating an audition list is appreciated. My on-line time is rather limited right now, so please don't take offense if I'm slow to respond. Thanks.

dman23, johnnypaddock and bajaed like this.
  2. russk

russk Forum Resident

Best I ever heard legacy speakers sound was with the Pass Labs 60 watt integrated. I’ve heard people love them with Mac Gear. It’s not solid state but I bet they’d sound great with the ARC Ref 150se

3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I love tubes and plan on owning Legacy in the future. I will first try powering them w my Cronus Magnum.

BUT, you could go with a Legacy Wavelet and Powerbloc2 amp that do an amazing job with those speakers and have about 7 grand leftover to do a major upgrade to your vinyl rig.

Blasters, nice!

4. RocknOut

Thanks for the input. Would this have been one of their pure class A amps? Legacy told me about 50% of customers use Mac gear.

5. RocknOut

Has anyone heard the Powerbloc amp? Wonder how it compares with some of the established brands. On analog side would love something like a Clearaudio concept of Rega 6/8. Trying not to totally overextend financially.

bajaed likes this.
  6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Read some recent show reports about Legacy. They have been using their own amps and pre-amps and getting rave reviews.

dman23 and Manimal like this.
  7. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

It doesn’t matter at all. Audio equipment receives and treats not birds singing, guitars tinkling, orchestras or street traffic roaring etc. etc. etc., but acoustical and/or electrical SIGNALS. With an excellent, good, mediocre or bad quality.
    “”NAD M32”.

8. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

What about the Legacy electronics? Their speakers are voiced with their gear.

Manimal likes this.
  9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I heard the Aeris speakers with the powerbloc amps...….. :love: Nirvana....
    I've used wyred 4 sound sx-1000 monos with my Legacy "Convergence" speakers (precursor to the Focus), and once again... :love:

10. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've been running my Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers with excellent success using my McIntosh MC275 MK-V power amp, and McIntosh C2300 preamp. This combination certainly works well for me.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

JJ Cahill and dman23 like this.
  11. RocknOut

Thanks everyone. Haven't figured out how to include others comments so bear with me.
    Fedot, could you take a moment to explain why you think the NAD unit should be on my short list?
    Bajeed, nice to see another Blasters can,, great American rock band and Dave Alvin is a national treasure. Saw him a few times in recent years at a small superglue called the Birchmere. Once with brother Phil in tow and then with Bill Kirchen as an opener. Both awesome shows, what a storyteller and sweet guitar.

Heavy Distortion, ill bet that is a great setup. Heard 275's a few times, always very impressive. And what eye candy. As I mentioned ed this is my first foray into high end gear and I'm a little leary of tubes. Not the sound quality, just the maintenance/upkeep and replacement costs. 2 questions. How often do you have to replace your tubes, generally. And what Mac SS gear do you think would have a similar sound to your rig?

12. RocknOut

Vinylbuff, not familiar with wyred 4 sound, will research. Can you describe some attributes of your system/sound. And on the powerblocs was that internal amplification on the Aeris? Or outboard.

BTW everyone the ICs I'm planning on using are audioquest King Cobras, I have some RCAs and some XLRs I picked up on closeout. If you think cabling matters, I know some don't. For speaker wire I've got some Blue jeans white and Legacy recommended Kimber 8VS. Once I have my layout set to know what length I need I'll probably order a set and do a shootout against the bjeans.

13. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Tube life is not an issue really. I've been running my gear 10 years and am just now starting to suspect some might be wearing out.

I'd say if you want something fool proof and great sounding go with the Legacy Wavelet and Powerbloc. The DSP/Room Correction is supposed to be amazing. You could then seriously upgrade your vinyl rig although the chain won't be pure analog. Everyone who has reviewed it doesn't see that as a problem tho.

14. RocknOut

Cool. I'll touch base with Brice at Legacy and see where I can audition. Not a lot of Legacy dealers in VA. I'm about 1/2 way between DC and Richmond.

15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

15k is a significant investment. Might be worth it to take a couple days to drive to Springfield and listen.

Honestly I think you'd be thrilled by just buying this setup as the room correction of the wavelet is said to make the Legacy speakers sound their best in most any environment. I'm far from an authority tho so others may want to chime in.

16. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've had the McIntosh/Legacy Focus 20/20 setup for close to 10 years now, and I have not had a tube issue. However, I did replace all of the factory McIntosh tubes in both the McIntosh amp and preamp with NOS Telefunken tubes, and Penta Lab KT88 power tubes, which can be costly, but certainly worth it for me. One of my friends drives his Legacy Focus speakers with a newer model solid state McIntosh amp, the model number escapes me right now, but it's certainly a high powered amp (several hundred watts per channel), and his setup sounds wonderful as well.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

As a person also in his 60s, you may want to consider the weight of these various pieces. Some of the McIntosh equipment pushes 120 lbs. or more. Hopefully you will get it in place and forget it. Buying an MA9000 allows you one less box on your rack.

As you are probably buying a system that will last you the rest of your lifetime, take your time and choose carefully so you won’t have to turn around and trade in because your original choices didn’t work out.

18. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The “NAD M32”. Its very high objective quality parameters, extremely rich commutations, especially keeping in mind THREE «MDC CLASSIC UPGRADE SLOTS» (the only commutation it lacks for who needs it incorporated in his amp, is the absence of “PHONO” input for “MC” low output type record player cartridges), and «Continuous output power into 8 ohms and 4 ohms 180 W (ref. 20 Hz-20 kHz at rated THD, both channels driven)» instead of “80 W” of your “NAD C356BEE”, not enough for you as I could understand from your first post.

The “NAD M32” Owner’s Manual is on the NAD site:
    https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/M32_eng_OM_v08FE-1.pdf

19. RocknOut

Thanks for the additional input everyone. Sorry for the delayed response. Just a lot going on with the new house build. If all goes well I should be able to start moving in within the next 10 days or so. BTW, no problem with my current NAD 356, but I'll have a room for a home office in the new house so it'll be the hub of my office system. Thus looking for new amplification to support the new Legacy speakers and much larger room.

Also want to clarify it'll be 2 channel only. The home theater set up in the same room will be a completely separate system. Very modest HT, Marantz NR1506 pushing Polk monitor 40 speakers + matching 10" sub and center speaker. It's been working okay for me so far.

Any additional input or suggestions would be appreciated. Anybody out there heard these speakers pushed by any of the amps on my short list? Thanks.

20. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

RockinOut:

I am around your age, a bit older, so you can take my advice to the bank, as I have owned many different brands including Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, Krell, and several other high end amps and pre-amps. If you purchase this duo, you will be pleased beyond belief, I guarantee it! The list price of this pair is $10,500.00, so you have $4,500.00 left to play with, and obviously you can get a better price, but you asked for MSRP.

The Parasound JC 2 BP Pre-Amp is dead silent, Parasound's top of the line HALO product, and I own this Pre-Amp, it is magnificent, without question.

The Parasound JC-5 is their newest power amplifier, huge power output if you need it, a beautiful design indeed.

If you purchase this duo, you will not be sorry, I promise, they are wonderful products. I don't have the JC-5, wish I did. I own the A-21, which is as good as I will ever need, however you had a nice budget, so why not have their very best HALO products. I hope you heed my advice on this purchase, you will NOT be sorry.

Model Halo JC 2 « Parasound

Model Halo JC 5 « Parasound

They are available in either champagne/silver OR Black, IMO the champagne/silver finish is stunning, here is a pic of my setup, and I should mention, I owned the Legacy FOCUS for several years, you WILL be pleased! :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dman23 likes this.
  21. RocknOut

Thank you Litejazz53. I believe there are several Parasound dealers fairly close to me. I'll call around and see who has this exact pairing. Is the system in your pictures above what is driving your new Polk speakers I've seen you write about in other threads? Also, what brand of rack is that you have? Nice looking system all around, the Parasound and PSAudio gear look like they were meant to be neighbors. Cheers!

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have been asked about my stand before, and honestly, it's so old, I don't remember what manufacturer made it, but it's great. I attach my wires with black ties, and they stay hidden pretty well. This is the system driving my Polk and Aerial speakers.

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please bear in mind, the new amplifier I am telling you about is the CREAM OF THE CROP, it's much better than mine pictured here, it's a John Curl custom, you will be in high cotton, top shelf equipment, and that pre-amp is second to none! Look at all the reviews on these two pieces! :righton:

dman23 likes this.
  23. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

The powerblocs were outboards on the Aeris and also the Calibre bookshelf speakers that were equally impressive.
    Legacy speakers are very efficient..... it takes next to no power to drive them. The guy that sold them to me said they were great for Rock music, and he was right. Even now after 20 plus years there is no listener fatigue. My mono amps are dead quiet, fast, and sound wonderful. With the Parasound P6, Mofi ultraphono and Rega RP8/Ania cart. running, Rickie Lee Jones is right there in the room with you, and Dire Straits Love over Gold is a awesome demo record. I'm having a hard time with a Legacy upgrade unless it's for another Legacy speaker

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I recently auditioned the Legacy Focus SE at the home of the dealer in Kentucky "Morrow Audio". Those are really great speakers and I'm still considering them as my next floor standing speaker, but I won't lie, he ran them through Legacy Audio electronics and I really was NOT impressed. I know, without a doubt, that those Focus SE's would sound much, much better with my McIntosh C2300 pre and MC-452 amp.

... but then, I auditioned the Sonus Faber Olympica III's in Cincinnati and the midrange on those are oh so sweet, plus the Olympica's are much smaller and more beautiful visually, where the Focus SE's are huge and they would almost take over the room size wise! Price wise they are almost dollar for dollar similar, so the decision have to be made.

25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

My $.02 I would use a tube preamp and a solid state amp.

I have this pre and it sounds awesome as all the reviewers said. It made a HUGE difference in audio quality and this one is at a great price (I bought mine used also from A-Gone)

Audio Research Reference 3 | Tube | New Haven, Connecticut 06510 | Audiogon

I have the REF 600s but I'm positive this will sound just as good. Outstanding reviews and cheap. Plenty of power to drive the Legacy's especially in the bass department. I drive Revel Ultima Studios with mine. FWIW I bought my amps used on A-Gone.

Bel Canto Design REF500M | Multi-Channel Amps | Richardson, Texas 75081 | Audiogon

Great amps and preamps will mate and make good speakers sound great, and great speakers simply awesome.

BTW, I am 67.

YMMV and you'll get plenty of advice but i've been living with the above for 2 years and I'm in heaven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.