Help Me Choose The Right Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raye_penber, Sep 27, 2022.

1. raye_penber

raye_penber . Thread Starter

This is a trade in, so all I have to choose from are the following:

Musical Fidelity M2Si (auditioning now)
    Rega Brio
    Audiolab 6000A
    Quad Vena II

Looking for greater separation and 3D-like soundstage (I know, but it's nice to dream) while retaining the weight and authority, and fidelity of my current amp (Cambridge 651A).

Using a Thorens TD 165 with a Goldring 1042, Musical Fidelity V90 LPS, and Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. Music ranges from 60s/70s rock to 80s rock, pop, New Wave, etc.

2. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

I'm sure you'll hear from owners of all the options you mentioned, but I'll say I've really been enjoying the Audiolab 6000a for quite a while now. Built like a tank, excellent fidelity, highly detailed output without being overly crisp. Source is mostly vinyl (Linn Basik /Akito arm with VM750SH) though their CD transport is spot on as well. Speakers are ProAc Tab 10s.

kundryishot and raye_penber like this.
  3. raye_penber

The 6000A is next in line to try - so great to hear this.
    I went with the MF, initially, as I was concerned that the 6000A may not have quite the weight and depth of the 651A (instead giving better separation and more expansive stage). Seems the MF sits between this and the Brio from what I can gather.

4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Im gonna be a bitch here. But I can’t imagine that any of these amps will outperform your Cambridge in a big way. Do you consider an extra step up? Rega Elex R?

Also big fan of LFD. No second hand for you right?

Koopjes - New Soundcenter

raye_penber likes this.
  5. raye_penber

Haha, that's okay, Remy (I'm used to you being a bitch) ;-)

No, seriously, though. This is straight out exchange, so I'm pretty limited with what I can try.

Pretty much just those listed above. Thought it was worth a punt just in case it pans out in my favour.

RemyM likes this.
  6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Very tough choice! Love the looks of Audiolab.

7. raye_penber

Going to audition that one next!

I imagine, sometime next year, I'll probably just end buying a Croft and pair of LS3/5A's ;-)

RemyM likes this.
  8. raye_penber

Only 5 hours into the Musical Fidelity, but initial impressions are:

Goes deeper in the bass/percussion than the Cambridge.
    More articulate and defined low end, but bass drum smack that the Cambridge doesn't have.
    More separation.

However:

Lacks that 3D quality I'm looking for (to be fair, I only expected 10% of this at this price point).
    Doesn't have the fidelity (ironically enough) of the Cambridge. Vocals aren't as 'real' in presentation and weight.

9. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

From my recent experiences, I neglicted for so long the speakers with the less "room depending",
    I'd begin with the pair of good LS3/5a.

Then the rest is "take time" (and money) to try with the pair.

RemyM and raye_penber like this.
  10. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Haha. That sounds like a dreamset with your Thorens.

raye_penber likes this.
  11. raye_penber

First 10 hours testing the MF and switched back to the 651A for comparison.

MF does indeed have much better rhythmic snap, goes deeper on the bottom end, making bass lines and drums more prominent and engaging to listen to. However, the rest - though presented with decent separation - is closer to homogenized digital in comparison to the 651A, whereupon vocals and strung instruments lose realism and, ironically, fidelity.

If I had to choose, it would be the 651A hands down (but I would miss that low end emphasis and rhythmic articulation).