Help me decide which speaker stands to buy for my Spendors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 30, 2020.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I am looking to purchase new 24" stands for my Spendor SP3/1R2's, and I can't decide which way to go, so I would appreciate any input. The upper end of my budget is around $700.

I am aware that thin-walled BBC-style monitors are said to work best with lightweight, rigid, open-frame stands, but I am not completely convinced... although I am open to trying them.

My current stands are Pangea DS400, $199, which are obviously knock-offs of Target stands. I have them mass-loaded with kitty litter.

THE GOOD:
    • inexpensive
    • quite heavy/dead once filled
    • bass and imaging noticeably better vs. more lightweight fillable cheap stands I've tried

THE BAD:
    • bottom plate rings (I've lined it with Dynamat)
    • sand leaks out (I should have caulked it)
    • severe rust developing on columns, possibly because the playground sand I originally used was not completely dry

[​IMG]

Here are some options I have my eyes on, and would appreciate any insight on these:

1.) Sound Anchor 3-post (approx. $700 shipped)

[​IMG]

THE GOOD:
    • extremely stable/high mass/dead
    • welded construction
    • excellent reputation

THE BAD:
    • $$$$$$
    • resale would be challenging due to weight

2.) Skylan SP-24 ($335)

[​IMG]

THE GOOD:
    • reasonably priced
    • PVC doesn't ring like metal
    • endorsed by Harbeth
    • no rust concerns

THE BAD:
    • are two columns a downgrade from the four in my Pangeas?
    • not sure of the sonic properties vs. metal stands
    • vinyl wrap looks "cheap"

3.) Custom Design FS 106 ($325 shipped from UK)

[​IMG]

THE GOOD:
    • reasonably priced
    • elegant appearance
    • appears to be a combination of rigid open-frame and mass-loaded design philosophies

THE BAD:
    • is this really a good design for optimizing BBC speakers?

3.) Custom Design FS 104 ($397 shipped from UK)

[​IMG]

THE GOOD:
    • appears to be the recommended type of rigid, open-frame stand for BBC monitors

THE BAD:
    • Unit cost lower, but cost of shipping from UK much higher than FS 106, probably because it can't be flat-packed.
    • Are these too "wimpy"?

GyroT and Ingenieur like this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Hard to choose - I like the Custom Design - less stand is nice - would show off what is behind the stand which can be good or bad. Since folks fill their stands etc - it implies the stands make a difference - in this case these stands wouldn't.

Best advice from a Cornwall guy.

action pact likes this.
  3. lplover

lplover Forum Resident

I use Sound Anchor stands with my Harbeth 30.1Ms. Worth the $$$ in my opinion :righton:

action pact likes this.
  4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I can only speak for the Skylans, which are with my Harbeth P3s. They look good, are well-built and very solid. I have kitty litter inside.

guestuser and action pact like this.
  5. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

TheSeeker likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

skylan for sure. the columns can be filled and will not leak. i used a two column set for bigger harbeths and the support was solid. also used them for the KEF ls50s. two posts are all you need structurally - they are wide and solid because of the bolt tension system. two posts inline will actually help with imaging by not reflecting so much sound forward.
    also noel knows his stuff, he actually listens and tests! for example he tells you to fill with cat litter but also how much to use to get the best sound. lastly he uses very good sounding "dots" for resting the speaker on.
    one drawback is that the spikes are on the thin side but easily replaced if you feel a need.
    i had some excellent sound using the skylan stands and harbeth speakers and i'm sure yours will sound just as good. .

Ingenieur, ls35a and action pact like this.
  7. action pact

$1569
    ... Way out of my league.

You certainly make a very compelling case! Thank you.

From eyeballing the photos, it appears that the two Skylan posts might be close in combined width/depth to the four Pangea posts.

8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

The Custom Design open frame stand is what I would recommend. An open frame stand is what is most recommended for these BBC thin walled speakers. I have owned and used Skylan, Sound Anchor and currently have Target MR stands. These are all great. Noel at Skylan does a great job and I used his stands with both the Harbeth P3's, ATC's and KEF LS50's. I used Sound Anchors with my Harbeth C7's and although they were a well constructed, super heavy stand I always had the feeling that and open frame stand would have made the C7's better. I have the Target MR stands now and use them with Harbeth P3's and Spendor Classic 3/1's. The work fine for the Harbeth's but I would rather have an open frame stand for Spendor's.

GyroT, bhazen and action pact like this.
  9. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I use lightweight wooden stands for my Rogers, and have no problem with the stability. The downside is there are not a lot of options commercially, and I had to build them myself.
    [​IMG]
    These are a pair that I built for another forum member that lives a short day trip from me. He was previously using Sound Anchor, but last I spoke to him he preferred the wood stands.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is it possible there is a talented carpenter near you that could be commissioned, I know the cost for me to build a pair was in line with the stands you are considering. Then again maybe you would rather have a heavier design...

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Of those options, the Sound Anchors.

I have the four post Sound Anchors and some custom maple stands, made by a fellow forum member. Both are great with different strengths but I slightly prefer the open-frame wood stands.

Resale on the Sound Anchors would indeed be a hassle, but unless you foresee yourself selling the Spendors, you won't ever need another pair of stands. And even though they're metal, there is zero ringing. It's also nice that they come pre-assembled and pre-damped.

rednedtugent likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

There you go. Beat me to it.

action pact, timind and okc_craft like this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Locally-made wooden stands is the way to go for best value IMO. There's a bonus in pride of ownership and supporting a local craftsman.

I settled on 1" felt furniture pads for the coupling material.

For stability of your 3/1s, I recommend they be wider than the base of the speakers. That, or make the bottom lateral posts longer to serve as outriggers.

bever70 and action pact like this.
  13. action pact

Lets talk about this a little more...

In practical terms, what difference would I hear going from massy stands to open frames? Would the bass weight and tightness suffer?

14. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I’ve heard Spendors on everything from BBC studio trollies to cast concrete stands but in my opinion they gave of their best on the old Mana acoustics soundbase supports. I’ve also heard good things about them from people I trust when they’re teamed with ISO Acoustics supports, but I haven’t heard that combination personally.

15. action pact

I like the look of wood, but why shouldn’t I just buy a pair of $35 bar stools and add spikes?

GyroT and timind like this.
  16. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

I've used the FS106 stands with LS3/5a's, they are sized specifically for the speaker. If you want to add mass you can fill the center post. I'm not sure what you are saying here " is this really a good design for optimizing BBC speakers?"

17. action pact

I’m not sure either.... its an open question.

what was your experience with the stand? Do you recommend it?

18. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I think you may have less bass weight but a more taught and detailed presentation. Instruments take on a livelier more natural and less strained sound.

rednedtugent and action pact like this.
  19. action pact

Very good info, thank you.

20. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

Yes I do recommend them, they are well-made and suit the speaker perfectly. Analogue Seduction in the UK is a great source to acquire them from. I've owned a few Sound Anchors over the years for other speakers, also a great stand but entirely different approach as you know.

action pact likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

really nice set-up.
    A nice thing about custom you can make them any height you want.
    Say ear level at listening position is 32", speaker bottom to tweeter is 12", a 20" stand may sound better. This depends on the speaker, etc.
    If the bottom cross members had a shelf you could place records or books on them for weight, down low would provide mass and stability.

22. avanti1960

as a slight counter to some of the above-
    *currently using 4 post, open frame sound anchor for my harbeths and feel they are not worth the money vs the skylans, the sound was actually best with the skylans, richer in the midbass for example. the sound anchors seem to drain deep bass response.
    *the sound anchors are not bad, definitely much better than the wood open frame i also tried. while they looked excellent, the wood frame stands sounded worse than every other i have tried, weaker, diffused bass and the treble seemed less refined.
    i vehemently challenge the findings in stereophile that was highly in favor of very expensive wood frame stands for harbeth m 30.2s.
    *regardless of which stand is used the size and material of the dots used between speaker and stand is critically important to the sound quality, especially bass but does affect every aspect. too soft and flexible is bad in one way and too unflexible is bad in another way.

23. action pact

This really is a tough thing to make a decision on!

24. avanti1960

fyi the sound anchor 3 post comes with 3 dot pads per speaker so if you wanted to use 2 dots on the back for more support, you would have to supply your own.
    i would not support the speakers with only 3 dots, too much unsupported mass and less stability that way.

Ingenieur likes this.
  25. The Killer Piglet

The Killer Piglet Forum Resident

I have 2 pairs of Skylan stands, using with Omega SAM's and Harbeth 30.2's.
    Well built, stable, price is more than fair.

Noel is a joy to deal with as well.

KP