Help me decide which speaker stands to buy for my Spendors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

I no longer have space for stands but I used to have my Spendor S3/5Rs on Something Solid XF which were perfect.

2. lovely stands and not too pricey

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

if i had to do it over i would probably pick the 3 post. i picked the 4 post because it came with 4 dots for speaker isolation, the 3 post version is supplied only with 3 sorbothane dots. they intend you to center the rear dot. this did not sit well with me because the speaker would likely make contact with the metal cross bar at the rear post. this would potentially mar the finish and result in non isolated contact. i did not want to deal with this with a new product.
    since then i learned through testing that the sorbothane dots sound awful and found an alternative. i would use my own dots and use 4 of them on the 3 post stand.
    the 3 post stand would be easier to level which i would appreciate. i dont anticipate much difference in sound quality, the construction of these stands is strong enough to support 200x the mass of the speaker.

http://soundanchors.com/products/2043/3-post-stands

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Townshend Podiums if you can find them 2nd hand for your budget
    Alternatively anything that isolates from the floor and I think there are similar in the US

Massive improvement over spiked into the floor for me

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I HAVE REACHED A DECISION.

I just ordered a pair of the Custom Design FS104 Signatures (in black) from Analogue Seduction. The cost, with shipping from England included, is approximately $330.

The central column is manufactured from ERW BS EN 10305-3 steel which can be easily mass loaded with our Inert Filler. The 4 satellite columns combine to provide a totally rigid speaker stand. The performance improvements are substantial, especially to the dynamic range which seems more open and free compared to conventional central, mass loaded designs. Stereo imaging and precision timing bring more excitement to your listening experience all with an accurate and controlled bass performance. The FS 104 Signature Speaker Stands are a serious alternative to the usual option of speaker stand design.

The laser precision cut hand finished acoustic top plates and base plates are manufactured from 4mm steel. They are designed to have the minimal effect on the performance of your speakers. The unique 5 column design provide a totally solid foundation for our customers who demand a more exciting and dynamic performance from their speakers.

[​IMG]

Ulises, 33na3rd, bhazen and 6 others like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Those are a lot sexier than the Pangeas currently in use. Let us know if they sound better.

Tim 2 and bever70 like this.
  7. action pact

LOL, that's for sure.

timind likes this.
  8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

What height did you order?

9. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

:drool::drool::drool::drool:
    Those are really nice!

action pact likes this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The best looking by far of all your options.
    Did you go with all black or with 4 inox/alu looking posts (as in your OP) ?

11. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Good that you didn’t buy Skylan
    They ruined the sound of my Harbeth M30.1
    Sound like dead wood
    Heavy Steel stands helped, but even IKEA chairs were better (witnessed)

12. action pact

I got the 24” stands. I realized that they offered two different widths, and the larger version is an almost perfect match for the SP3/1R2 cabinet.
    I dislike bling, so I went with the all-black option, which also happens to be the least expensive.

I know that many folks love Skylans, and have no doubt that they are a quality product, but I read several comments like yours, and it gave me pause. I also had a hard time embracing plastic stands.

In the end, I wanted to try the typically recommended skeletal frame stands with my BBC-style speakers, but didn’t want to abandon mass loading entirely. Hopefully I made a wise choice.

Bananajack likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thanks for that. The 3-post stands are way cheaper than the 4-post models.

avanti1960 likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What works for some won't work for others.

The Skylan gear is definitely enjoyed by thousands who'll inevitably disagree with you.

Tim 2 and avanti1960 like this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Consider Gig Harbor Audio open-frame stands. They've really caught on with owners of BBC-school monitors. (Full disclosure: they're acquaintances of mine, and super-knowledgeable about the subject.) I've heard Chartwells, Harbeths, Rogers, Spendors etc. on these at GHA -- always sounded incredible. Like live music. (I'm a bit of an agnostic about cables and stands; but when I get my next pair of LS3/5A-type monitors, I'll be ordering a set of their stands, just to get the speakers up to the proper height.)

GHA Custom speaker stands — Gig Harbor Audio

Edit: apologies, didn't see you'd already ordered stands. Good listening to you!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  16. Bananajack

No worries, mate. Just a personal finding with two witnesses ;) high enders
    Everybody is entitled to his own opinion aka hell :p

17. action pact

Those look really nice, but are way outside my budget.

Tim 2 and bhazen like this.
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Too many variables to understand such discrepancy- speaker position, fill material, fill height (too much deadens the sound as noted in the manual), spikes to floor, floor type, iso dots, proper tension turns on the assembly through rods per instruction manual, etc. The plastic columns filled and under compression from the long studs makes for a very rigid assembly if done correctly.
    The thick MDF end panels are also very robust. Possibly something was amiss in your application especially since chairs sounded the best.

Shown below was my setup with the Harbeth C7ES3 and they sounded phenomenal in every way.

[​IMG]

Ingenieur and Tim 2 like this.
  19. Bananajack

Nope, the very heavy old Celestion stands sounded best. Heavier than the Harbeth.
    I said the IKEA chairs sounded better than the Skylan plastic array.
    The stands were not filled though. Sold for more than I paid ...

20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

The Skylan’s were not filled?

Strat-Mangler and Glmoneydawg like this.
  21. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Congrats G!
    Hope you love them .... look forward to a pic when "installed".

Tim 2 and action pact like this.
  22. action pact

Well, that certainly changes the equation.

Glmoneydawg and Art K like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Rubbish

24. action pact

I beg your pardon?

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Priorities.