Help Me Engineers: What is a "LEDO" tape??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip Stylus, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Stylus

Chip Stylus I buy music! Thread Starter

I saw this term - or acronym - used in a thread associated with the DCC cd "Strange Days". The regular lp's and cd's are cut from a LEDO tape and not the master, the DCC gold was cut from the master tapes but they were altered to sonically resemble (without massive quality drop) the LEDO tape. So, what is LEDO? Is it that the songs are on one piece of tape, level matched, compressed and EQued; not 12 pieces spliced together with different levels and EQ?

query from a photo retoucher, home recordist and record collector (but not a pro sound engineer)

2. From http://www.netassoc.net/dougspage/HoffSpecificProjects.htm

The DOORS "Strange Days". The master tape sounds NOTHING like the actual Elektra LP which was cut from the "ledo" creation or a tape copy that was futzed with by someone at Elektra. Now, the "ledo" is NOT the master tape, but it is what every single version of that LP was made from, all over the world, down through the years including the CD's. Therefore, it IS actually the master, see? Now, the real master is actually only a work part, since it was "changed" to make the LP's. I wanted to make sure I kept part of the essence of the original Doors' on vinyl intact while using the actual work part master. That is where the original LP comes in handy.

3. Chip Stylus

Dan, i read that same quote before here on the forum, but it still does not tell me what "Ledo" means, is it an acronym or term?

4. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

Jac Holzman told me: Leadered Edited Duplicate Original

seacliffe301 and clmt55 like this.
  5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Can anyone describe the sonic differences between the Strange Days master and the "LEDO" tape that was used to cut the LP's from?

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Cool, thanks. I'd been curious about this one myself for some time, too.

7. Chip Stylus

That's a STEVE HOFFMAN question if ever there was one!!! (laughing)
    He handled both. I know that the last two tracks on the STRANGE DAYS DCC cd sound vastly different and more dynamic than the original lp's or cd.

and very special thanks to ANDREW (one of my heroes, btw) for answering my question!

clmt55 likes this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Did Elektra made LEDO tape for making the cutting easier?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Uniform.

yasujiro likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

No particular merit intended?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.