Help me find the best Kinks anthology

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildgift, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I have this and The Kinks Are Well Respected Men comp. A little overlap but a great overview up through 1970.

scocs likes this.
  2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Bypassed the anthology road and took the advice posted earlier on getting the 9 deluxe releases. The 20% off from importcds ebay store with an additional 15% off that with the one day ebay code helped push me over the edge.

Juggsnelson, Mylene and lbgarcia like this.
  3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

That’s the way to go.
    You have chosen wisely...

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I vote for Anthology, 1964-71. Great selection and the tracks, often soggy, never sounded better.
    Come Dancing is a nice collection of later stuff, particularly the SACD. However, you can't go wrong, whatever you go with: anything of the Kinks will be great.

Rockford & Roll and John22 like this.
  5. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

"Show Biz" also received the Deluxe treatment
    [​IMG]

6. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I think it's horrible sounding, brickwalled crap. But to each his own.

7. moops

moops Senior Member

A have this, a decent single CD comp which to me sounds good ......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

9. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I know, but he asked about the Deluxe editions, and Show biz is a "Legacy edition", different series. Moreover, I think by 1972 we are already out of the classic period (although I like the album very much). I would even argue that Muswell Hillbillies may be out of the golden Kinks era.

10. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

One simple suggestion: Collect 'em all... every regular studio album over the years has gems

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

That was the first Kinks album I ever owned. A very battered used copy purchased for 50p some years ago.

If I recall correctly it had a note on the back about being mono "enhanced" for stereo?

12. Picture Book.If you get anything else you'll be left wanting more Kinks in short order.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

@Laservampire

You’re well versed in this area. What would you recommend?

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

2002 Ultimate Collection

Cheap, covers their entire career, no NR, good source tapes. About the same level of compression/loudness as the Deluxe editions but with less shrill high end.

15. HereIsNow

HereIsNow Forum Resident

The 2014 Essential Kinks is pretty decent, 48 songs and can be found for less than $15 on Amazon. Mastered by Vic Anesini.

Dave Hoos, Bonddm and mbrownp1 like this.
  16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have bought "The Anthology 1964-71" as lossless download album. I prefer the sound quality over the U.K. album "The Ultimate Collection" from 2002. But I would have preferred that all singles released in mono would also be available in mono on the anthology and that they had taken the "Coca Cola" version for "Lola" and not "Cherry Cola".

So I put together my own selection with both Dave Davies songs from "Hidden Treasures" (2017). From "The Ultimate Collection" I took "Mr. Pleasant", "Days", and "Plastic Man". All other songs are from the anthology.

Now I am searching for mono versions of "Waterloo Sunset", "David Watts", "Victoria", and "Apeman". I am not satisfied with the sound quality of "The Singles Collection".

alchemy likes this.
  17. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

I used to have one called 100 minutes of the kinks which i really liked. I think it only came out on cassette and i lost my copy years ago

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A great start!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This was the first Kinks album I bought and I thought it was amazing. So many songs on one record. Not the best sounding album though.
    Also had volumes 2 and 3.

Mylene likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

21. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Kinks of London is my traditional go to, with Kronikles as a close second

22. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I was going to mention " Golden Hour" too!!!!!!!!!!!:nauga: I didn't know there were 3...

23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't think there is a Vol. 3 as it's not listed in Discogs. There was a Golden Hour double LP of album tracks not found on the first 2 volumes.
    The Kinks - Lola, Percy & The Apemen Come Face To Face With The Village Green Preservation Society... Something Else

Url: The Kinks - Lola, Percy & The Apemen Come Face To Face With The Village Green Preservation Society... Something Else

Shared from the Discogs App
    I had the first 2 volumes. Agree about the lousy sound but at the time it was the only way to get many of the tracks.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Not sure how easy it is to find nowadays, but this CD is a good one.

The Kinks - 25 Years - The Ultimate Collection

You’d need to supplement it with Come Dancing for a full overview as it glosses over their ‘70s stuff. But for myself, I found it had almost everything I needed and nothing I didn’t.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'm sure there was. It had animated drawings on the cover. Can't recall anything else about it other than it had 20 songs on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.