Help me make my last move (in market for CD player or DAC/transport)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I was happy seeing the back of my CXC first gen.
    It lasted few months only,
    When I compared to a Rega Saturn that wiped the floor of many others.
    Apollo also a great purchase.
    Not the plastic feeling of Cambridge.
    Compared both Rega as single maschine or as transport only.

2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I bought their flagship player about 10 years ago and the tray crapped the bed. I spent the extra money thinking it would last for a long time, but as I’ve learned over the years, that means nothing. Go figure my inexpensive pioneer player has taken over with no issues.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

warp2600 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

understood, not trying to sway you just making a point of reference. however if you find your DAC lacks dynamics and energy, it would be easy to obtain that and stay within budget.
    the "analog" section of a DAC (or CD player) is the circuit that takes the unamplified converted signal from the DAC chips and amplifies it up to line voltage - e.g. the voltage of a CD player which can be up to 6 Volts output. Line voltage is required so your amplifier can boost it yet again to drive your speakers. Kind of like a phono preamp.
    The better the analog circuit, the better a given DAC will sound- transparency, freedom from noise, energy and dynamics etc.
    To do that you need a robust design including power supply, capacitors, etc.
    Look at the underhood of the Marantz SA8005 CD player - (which is SPECTACULAR BTW). Note the robust power supply transformer and multiple capacitor banks that make up the "analog" amplification circuits.
    Then compare that with the Mytek and Chord DACs. The Chord basically uses Op Amps, which are "OK" but not up to the level of an excellent analog section.

For example, if you use an optical out on the Marantz (using it as a transport), you bypass all of the robust analog section! You better make sure your DAC is as good or you are in for a letdown. Even the Schiit DACS have excellent analog amplification sections.

https://www.us.marantz.com/Assets-Marantz/Images/Products/SA8005/mz_sa8005_u_n_k_bk_ot_bg002_lo.jpg
    OnSight: HEM Electronics, makers of Mytek | Darko.Audio
    CHORD Qutest

5. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, thanks for that, but I am indeed happy with my brand new DAC, which I bought having borrowed one from my dealer and listened to it at home for several days. That is, I bought it precisely because it sounds great in my system and listening space. I don't anticipate shopping for any significant audio equipment now for many years.

6. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Late to the thread but anybody thinking of going down the CXC / Qutest route should try the Denon DCD-1600NE SACD player, it's AL32 processing is superb and makes Red Book CD's sound nearly as good as SACD's!

DCD-1600NE | High Quality Super Audio CD Player

Beats the CXC / Qutest combination by a mile and all in one box!

7. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Did you get to A/B test at least the Qutest vs the Denon in the same system? If so, I'd be curious to hear your specific thoughts with what stood out.

CMT likes this.
  8. CMT

Likewise, I'm curious to hear more. Please let us know under what conditions you compared the two configurations and through what speakers, etc. Also, please define "by a mile" in some way that is quantifiable.

displayname likes this.
  9. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

what is 5280 feet? :buttkick:

but yes, please do expand as I love CD playing black boxes.

10. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Yes I had the CXC / Qutest and Denon a couple of years ago.

Detail! With good recordings the Denon just pulled more off the disc, things I had never heard before from recordings I have been listening to for over 20 years!.

The Qutest was warmer sounding but not in a good way, it was slightly artificial and veiled.

The above is applicable to Red Book, SACD is just on another level.

rednedtugent and displayname like this.
  11. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I also had the Denon DCD-2500NE, the difference between to two was so small you would be better off getting the Denon DCD-1600NE and buying some music.

I currently have the Denon DCD-SX11, that's another story altogether!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Carlox and displayname like this.
  12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Really good feedback, thanks!

13. CMT

For what it's worth, I can say exactly the same thing about the Qutest and the Cambridge CXC as a transport. I'm hearing things I had never heard before on CDs I've been listening to for more than 30 years.

Anyway, it might be thought by some a trifle rude at the end of a thread helping someone make a big purchasing decision to jump in only to tell them that they made the wrong decision. :)

Again--I'm happy. I'm done. That said, I am a teensy bit curious whether better speaker cables would make an audible difference as a final touch. The cables I'm using (Straight Wire SuperQuad) were a free gift from the dealer when I bought my speakers. Hmmm.....

[Edit--sorry, I meant to quote the post by DavidR]

displayname likes this.
  14. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

My post was more aimed at people reading the post in the future, just giving them another option to consider.

There is nothing wrong with the Qutest, if it works for you that's all that matters!

displayname likes this.
  15. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

For those interested I got a Pro-ject audio RS2 CD transporter to pair with my audio note DAC 1.1 Signature. The idea was to get an audio note transporter but the prices were a little tittle too much (to put it nicely) and this new CD Pro-8 mechanism in the RS2 grabbed my interested.

I will do a more detailed report in a few weeks but first impressions are:

1) The good: it sounds very good indeed. The level of clarity is very high and instruments appear perfectly positioned in the sound stage.

2) the so so: build quality. whilst not bad at all it does not feel like 2500 euros product

3) the less good: it is a very noisy machine. I have been using cds for 25 years and had never came across a player that I can listen it spinning 3 to 4m away. I had to re-arrange my equipment to get it as far as possible of the listening position... and for late night near field I have to cover the player with a couple of jumpers. I am still wondering if I will be able to live with this :)

more to come

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LakeMountain likes this.
  16. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

The Streamunlimited Pro-8 mechanism Pro-Ject uses is just a simple $13 Sanyo SF-HD850 mounted in a cnc-milled frame with some carbon bits.

How they justify that price tag in beyond me...

Pro-8:-

[​IMG]

Sanyo:-

[​IMG]

LakeMountain, Fruff76 and fcdvpds like this.
  17. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

now I get it...I wish I knew this earlier. I am listening now to Musica Nuda Live a FIP, one of my favourite cds. There's a lot of quiet moments in it. The Pro-ject RS2 makes it unlistenable. It's beyond believe that a reputable brand can bring to the market such a noisy thing..

18. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Get your money back mate, there are plenty of better options for a lot less money.

19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Wow, that's a royal ripoff. Thanks for opening my eyes to it - P-J's transports are off my list permanently.

Fruff76 likes this.
  20. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

For sure. Good find.

21. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

Unfortunately there is no return option in Hong Kong.
    Thank you for your advice David. I spoke today with the seller and he doesn't accept a return nor an exchange for other product. Kind of frustrating ...I thought buying from a local dealer offered better service than online buying...for sure.

I don't know how this detail escaped me...listening loud at the dealer with people around I couldn't spot the noisy mechanism. I am trying to contact Pro-ject to understand if they have any official trial but it seams impossible.

For now I just cover this thing...
    [​IMG]

22. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Can you not return as faulty? I presume HK has some king of consumer protection law?

If you have to cover your player like that, there must be something seriously wrong.

fcdvpds likes this.
  23. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

:) lol actually one or two jumpers do the thing. this was just for fun. Maybe in other setups the drive is ok but definitely not for Hong Kong mini living rooms where I need to sit 1.5m from the speakers...thanks god someone created LS3/5

24. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

Actually I just received a reply from Pro-ject. I asked if it was normal to listen the drive and the reply:

"It is normal to hear a bit of the drive.

But due to the nature of the CD Box RS2 T, top loader and not much in between that will damp the sound, you might hear a little more than with non top loading CD players."

It may work fine in other environments. For my near field listening at 45-55db it is a no go.

25. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member

Hello
    Some company's still making making good CD players. Audio Note one.
    I have a Cayin 17A tube player so far 10 years ,no issue no repairs,upgrade the stock tube sounds great.
    They still make improved one, but since they moved out from North American
    you buy from China 220V-or 230-240V, for good price.

Cayin Spark C30CD 6922EH Tube 24bit/192KHz Decode Hi-End Balance CD Player Red Brand New
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Product Price: $879.99 USD
    Product Model: Cayin C-30CD
    Product Quantity: 10 Units in Stock
    Shipping Weight: 18 Kg

Devliery to: Shipping Costs: $200.36 USD

Total Price: $1,080.35 USD

1.Aluminum alloy material

2. Professional decoding chip
    It is decoded by the American BB company's PCM1792 chip, which is praised by the majority of enthusiasts, with a specification of 24bit / 192KHz. In addition to common OGG, MP3, WAV, WMA and other formats, it also supports lossless APE, PlAC

3. The analog output uses two Russian gold-footed 6922EH vacuum tubes. The transistor output circuit uses a carefully selected pair of field effect tubes and powerful capacitors.

4.With optical fiber and coaxial digital signal output
    C-30CD has optical fiber and coaxial digital output interface, which can be connected to a digital / analog converter (DAC)

5. True balanced output
    C-30CD can provide true balanced output. The gold-plated pin 6922EH is used for single-ended amplification and output.

6.PHILIPS digital servo system
    Years of CD broadcaster design and production experience, redesigned movement level and suspension system

7. High quality transformer specially developed for this machine
    Analog circuits and digital circuits use independent power transformers and rectification and voltage stabilization systems to supply power. Low-leakage, high-efficiency toroidal power transformers specially developed for this machine are used.

Product Specifications
    Output level: 2.3V ± 0.5dB (RCA) 4V ± 0.5dB (BALANCE)
    Power consumption: 30W
    Dynamic range: 120dB
    Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz ± 0.5dB
    Use of electronics: Tube gold plated 6922EHX2
    Distortion plus noise: -70dB
    Volume: 440mm * 390mm * 130mm
    Signal to noise ratio: 92dB
    Net weight: 15.5KG
    Output terminal: one RCA, one BALANCE, one coaxial, one optical fiber

fcdvpds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.