Help me pick a pair of speakers in the 3-4k range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Dec 17, 2021.

1. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Roger that. Taylor is great with his pricing. His deals always make me feel like I underpaid and got a bargain. List is 7k but again, talk with Taylor before you let cost sway you.

Ivand and TheVinylAddict like this.
  2. mike catucci

Yes nice to be back and seeing some familiar faces and joining in on the convo! :)

Funny you should mention imaging. I see you already made a purchase but I'll chime in anyway in the hopes it helps someone maybe in the future. I agree with what you said and I have owned some stellar speakers like the Ascend Sierra NrT, Sierra 2, LS50 and the ATC SCM11v2. The Profiles image as good as any of them but offer something the smaller speakers could not and that is presence. Combine those two elements and you get something really special. I would talk with Taylor if the speakers you purchased do not work out. He can weigh in on the JA stand mounts versus their towers. I feel like the Profile is a monitor speaker packaged in a tower to add some presence and depth. Really wonderful when you hear them. I wish it was easier for you to demo them.

Anyway -my 2 cents for what it is worth. Oh and list is 7K if you don't see it in my other post. But talk with Taylor before you get sticker shock.

Bananas&blow and avanti1960 like this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

I feel you and am glad to see all that money you saved on insurance went to good use:D! They look great. I bought my Rega from Taylor and he was excellent to work with. Bumping the budget up to 6-7K range opens up a whole new world of speaker opportunities. I'll see if I like the ones I bought. I've pretty much decided to sell the 803s as I can't get what I want out of them in my room. I do think they are too big. They are bigger than they look in the photos.

Came down with covid today from the holidays so I'm going to have to wait 10 days before I drive to vegas to get the speakers. Audiophile torture. Good news is I went from feeling fine 24 hours ago, to 12 hours ago feeling like I was on my death bed, to feeling somewhat better already. Hopefully the vaccine will minimize the illness.

4. mike catucci

Load up on D, Zinc and C. That did the trick for me and many other people. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Check your IM.

bajaed, hi_watt, avanti1960 and 2 others like this.
  5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Hey man so sorry you got covid hang in there and feel better soon!

6. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

CDC announced today, five day quarantine if you've been vaccinated. Maybe the wait won't be as bad:thumbsup:

avanti1960 and jonwoody like this.
  7. Bananas&blow

Saw that! Great news! I guess you are contagious for the 2 days before symptoms and the 3 days after.

head_unit, hi_watt and mreeter like this.
  8. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Crap. Hopefully it won't be too bad for ya.
    Mine didn't last all that long over Thanksgiving.
    It hit it with quercetin, vitamin D3, K2, C and zinc plus my multivitamin.

9. Bananas&blow

Well I finally got a chance to get up to Vegas and picked up the Triangle Magellan Duettos. They are stunning looking. They image well. They are bright. And they have a hole in the midbass where a bass player will fall into a black hole. It dips so low that it sounds like he went out for a smoke break and then suddenly reappears when he gets low enough in the register. So deep bass sounds good. Midbass is absent. Here are some pics. So far I'm pretty disappointed as they just sound like the EQ is off. Heavy treble, light bass, unless its deep bass then the woofer wakes up and sounds good. Odd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

avanti1960, james, punkmusick and 4 others like this.
  10. Bananas&blow

I had another speaker that had a hole in the midbass as well a few years back. A 2010 vintage B&W CM 5. Like these Triangles they did deep bass well but higher register bass notes were very hard to hear. I never had them hooked up to a proper amp though so I'm not sure they got a fair shake before I sold them. They were also standmounts. Anyone else have issues with invisible midbass? Any solutions? I've been moving these speakers all over my room to find the best location. They do not seem to be all that picky as far as room placement. They image well regardless of how I toe them so I have toed them only slightly inwards to get a bigger soundstage. When I placed them next to the wall the bass didn't change much. At the moment I have them 19 inches from the back wall.

bever70, CoryG85 and hi_watt like this.
  11. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

They do look great, sorry you have some reservations about them. I did hear some Triangle speakers a few years ago at an audio show. All I remember is that, like you, my impression was that they were pretty bright sounding. Maybe try moving them closer to the wall to see if it helps the mid bass?

Edit: I just saw your second post about trying them closer to the wall. Maybe plug one of the ports to tame the deep bass and then increase the volume a bit? I'm no expert.

12. CoryG85

CoryG85 Forum Resident

I'm telling you brother...you already stretched your budget to pick these up. Don't settle, send em right back. You owe it to yourself to audition a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs. They should fall in this same budget. Scour the entire internet, you won't find an unhappy Forte IV owner. Bass, detail, imaging, ability to disappear and place instruments all along your front stage, from dead center to mid-left, mid-right and everywhere in between.

Cornwall IVs in my far from optimal room have the ability to image instruments with pinpoint accuracy like nothing I've ever experienced. I power them with a 50wpc audiolab 6000a. Nothing even fancy. From what I understand, the Forte IV does everything the Cornwall IV does but with punchier bass and just a little less sense of scale.

Buy American! You won't regret it.

13. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Maybe it's a interaction with the placement. Start close to the wall and gradually move them out in to the room.

Mr.Sign likes this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

In his follow up post he stated he tried every possibe placement.

Mad shadows likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Try them a good 4 feet or more from the back wall. That may not be a practical placement option but at least it would reveal whether it’s a room mode issue.

16. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Sorry your new speakers are not working for you. It happens to all of us. Don't fight your ears and struggle to accept what is not satisfactory to you in your room. Sell them on and keep looking until you get what you truly like to listen with.

timind, Kyhl, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bananas&blow

Tried them in my bedroom setup hooked up to a Yamaha A-s801 in a 10X12 room and I thought they sounded sublime. Just magical. Not as bright and better bass. Wonderful imaging and detail. Weird. Going to measure my room today. They are very large standmount speakers but maybe the 6 inch woofer just isn't big enough for room? Not sure. I switched in my KEF R300's in the main room and they fill the room and sound better balanced than the Triangles. I can't imagine my main room is really that difficult sound-wise. It has carpet and acoustic ceilings(popcorn).

18. Bananas&blow

Well I threw in the towel last night. I moved the Duettos out of my main system and into my bedroom system out of frustration. I hooked it up to my "inferior" Yamaha A-s801 and put on some Allman bros and laid down to ponder the errors of my ways. I laid down and thought they sounded decent. Maybe more than decent. After that CD ended I put on the MFSL Caravanserai by Santana and I thought it sounded really good. Vibrant. More bass. Maybe they just are better in a small room I thought as I drifted to sleep.

I woke up today wired up my A-s801 in my main room with the Triangles to see how this pairing sounded in the big room, anticipating a replay of the great audiophile letdown of 2022 that I had the previous day. This setup uses cheap amazon interconnects, single ended instead of Blue Jean balanced cables. I lose 6db of gain from my phono preamp. My expectations were low. I had spent $2500 on speakers I had never heard and my results were about as stupid as that sounds. So I put on a CD and the bass is just better with the 801. I liked some aspects of the Duettos. They are alive, vibrant, diappear, excellent imaging. But they were too bright and just imbalanced with my Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp and Parasound A21. But they sound better with the much less resolving and much cheaper A-s801. I quite like this pairing. I have lost some of the resolution in the sound. But it's more balanced and more enjoyable. The Duettos sound more like what I read about them from the professional reviews. It seems my main system, which was an excellent match for my B&W's, is not a good match for the Duettos. There's not much I would change about the sound I'm hearing now other than more resolution to the sound. The limitations of the sound do show up in the 801. But it still sounds better. The 801 is a fine value amp indeed.

So now I'm left with a choice do I like the new speakers enough to change my preamp and/or amp? Live with the lower resolution amp (not likely)? I'm not sure whether its the preamp or the amp that is the poor match. I'm curious to try a Yamaha A-s1100 with them. An amp I've always wanted to try although a very different amp from the 801. The tone controls are nice though as I've slightly lowered the treble and it sounds a bit better.

bever70, yamfan and Clonesteak like this.
  19. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Having heard so many Triangle models in my room ( nowhere near the Magellan models though), I think you might be on to something. Certain amps just seem to be poor matches for them. It stinks that you would have to change amps to enjoy your new speakers though. I wouldn't have expected you setup to be such a poor match.
    With mine, tubes really shine but the Magellan aren't quite as sensitive. I'd be sure to have enough tube wattage to drive them properly.
    When mating them with solid state amps, I looked for ones that were known to have a more tube like sound. Of course they never really sounded quite like a tube amp, but they did seemed to take the edge off the high end.
    Of all the SS amps that I tried , there was something about the Creek Evo50 that was stunning with a set of Comete 30th anniversary speakers. The high end was perfect but it also added almost like a holographic glow around the instruments. Truly something special. I wonder how the Evo100 would mate with a pair of the Duettos.

timind and Bananas&blow like this.
  20. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

You should not be struggling to match your new speakers to your amp and/or preamp. I have multiple sets of speakers and have/had various integrated amps I pair with them. True, there are very different sound/music flavors the pairings may present but none have been difficult to listen and enjoy music with. Your speakers should work fine with your better equipment and not just the lesser but very well regarded Yamaha. If they do not I would move on and find some speakers you can truly enjoy. Don't try to adjust your ears to your speakers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  21. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I happened to audition a pair of those a few months back, and was greatly underwhelmed. However, the set-up did not strike me as being thoughtful, and, given your experiences thus far, I suspect that they are a type of speaker that can sound very different depending on the various, associated variables.

22. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Agree with the sentiment to not adjust your ears to speakers that you don't like. Send them back and get something that you like.

23. Bananas&blow

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. So far I didn't like the speakers with one amp. And I did like the speakers with another amp. How can I even say I don't like the speakers? They image well. Have a wonderful midrange and solid bass. I liked them a lot with a better matching amp. I'm hardly the first guy to listen to a pair of speakers with the wrong amp and not like them. I read stories about this all the time.

jonwoody and bever70 like this.
  24. Bananas&blow

Yeah I think they may be picky about amp pairing, which is true of some speakers. 2 different amps made the speakers sound very different... in the same room with the same sources.

25. Bananas&blow

What were they paired with?