Help me! Pull out your Van Morrison MOONDANCE LP, give a listen to "Into The Mystic"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I think the foghorn is an integral, well at least it's placement, part of the song.

2. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

:biglaugh:

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

One more point regarding this incredible record: If you haven't heard it on vinyl, you've never really heard this record. I realize this has been said before, but this is the ONE record that first comes to mind when someone wants to hear the difference between cds and LPs. There is something so organic about the sound of this LP that has never been captured by the CD.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Uh, it's not a real foghorn, it's a keyboard. It's in both mixes.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Mellotron I think? Does have that foghorn sound and feel.

6. Steve Hoffman

On the "second" mix (the replacement mix) the "foghorn sound" fades up and down. On the original mix it stays loud during it's appearance (and there is a tambourine that comes in around that time).

7. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

And the "foghorn" is also in the right channel as opposed to more in the center

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Sounds good to me - can't wait. ;)

9. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Hey Steve, I'm sure this has already crossed your mind but if you need reference pressings, you have consulted with Tom Port on past projects. He certainly has at least ten of each ! !

10. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Green label "Back To Back Hits" 45 I have plays the non-tambourine version.

11. Call me crazy, but I just finished listening to my W7 green label first press again (non-tambourine mix), and it's not a keyboard either. In fact, sounds suspiciously like the same saxophones that play the dual solo part following the chorus - playing with a vibrato sort of effect in their lower range. In fact, if you listen especially to the second pass where they fade in, you'll notice that as they hold the notes going into the chorus, it morphs into a much "straighter" sort of regular sax tone with less vibrato.

12. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I agree. Definitely sounds like a very "breathy" wind instrument (probably sax). As I mentioned earlier in this thread the fog horn on the CD and later vinyl doesn't sound anything like the fog horn on the original vinyl. It sounded to me almost like a thin trumpet.

Call us both crazy......... I've had worse ;)

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I always thought it was saxophone(s), too. :crazy:

14. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Steve, are you saying that the tambourine mix is the one to find (the original)?

15. Steve Hoffman

I always thought it was an organ with two saxes overdubbed through a guitar tremelo.

Whatever it is, the version with the "foghorn" full up and a tambourine is the version that is on my original radio station LP. The substitution was made later but it's very confusing as to when and why.

16. Steve Hoffman

Maybe a "45 RPM mix" was done for the single release and then put on the LP in place of the original mix?

Sigh.

17. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I found a VG+ W7 last summer for 10-15 bucks on ebay. As reported prior it has the tambourine. I had a green label 1B but I just sold it and shipped it to the far east, so I can't confirm if the mix in question was on that record.
    Can't wait for the 2007 re-release :)
    C

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I know I'm late for the dance but...

W7 - 1A - Centered foghorn and tamborine
    First (73) Palm Tree Label RE-1 - Right channel foghorn and no tamborine
    WG CD - Right channel foghorn and no tamborine
    Direct Disk Labs LP - Centered foghorn and tamborine

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

So Tom, how much is that Direct Disk Labs LP gonna cost me when I find it? :D

20. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Could be. Maybe that's what happened with "Too Long At the Fair" on Bonnie Raitt's Give It Up lp.

Discussed here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=96266

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I did. I much prefer without the tambourine. It gets in the way to my ear.

22. Steve Hoffman

Funny, Martin, I can't stand the mix you like. Van is too loud and burbles too much. The tambourine mix is the one that I've heard for 37 years (and that's the real reason I like it; comfortable with it).

23. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I don't think you will need this, Lee. ;)

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard the non-tambourine mix first, from being played on the radio (but I was born in 1978). That may or may not be an influence. All I know is when I first heard the tambourine version on a German import LP, I wasn't too happy. Then I got the Superdisk, and that had it too. That tambourine just distracts me or something. I always wanted to know what the story was with the two versions.

25. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I got my UK SuperDisk at a local store here for 19 dollars