Help! Nagaoka MP-500 MM or AT33Sa MC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shimano, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post here, i am trying to get a replacement cartridge for my Vintage SL-1500mk1 from 76’. At my max price range i have two option they both cost the same the Nagaoka MP-500H or the Audio Technics AT33Sa, the first is MM cartridge with headshell included second one is MC with good wires included and i can use my technics-1200sl brand new headshell i have got from a donor Sl-1200. I have Pro-Ject Tube S2 preamp so i can power any of them. The problem is witch to choose ? I cannot test them. I listen mostly to Metal / Rock and a few other stuff as random Jazz. I am using some vintage Technics SE-A3 power with Su4 pre in Monitor Audio Gold 300 Speakers, AudioQuest cables and power filter etc. Which one would be the best pick considering the system and music genre i listen to, if you guys have some time to help me out would gladly apreciate it.

Regards

2. Shimano

Anybody ?

3. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't used either cartridge so can't help you, but I know there are quite a few fans of each around here, so imagine either would be a good move. I know the MP500 stylus replacement is fairly economical compared to the initial price, so that would be a benefit. AT does have a good trade-in program on their MC carts, but not sure what access you have to it, and it isn't nearly as good as it was in the past.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and hope you get some more feedback :)

4. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

I haven't heard either, but I think you are asking to compare apples to oranges, so to speak.
    The Nagaoka might be hard to find as a lot of places were out of stock when I tried to get one a couple of months back. The AT is easier to source.
    Ultimately, I just went with MC (OC9XSL) and left MM behind.
    Good luck.

5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Save some money and get the 33PTG/II.

jeff

ryaneagon, Old Grey Grump and mackat like this.
  6. Shimano

Thanks all for all recomandations, the AT33Sa is better than both 33PTG/II and OC9XSL and is also a MC cart.

Would love some advice from somebody who has heard / test both of these and why would pick one or another.

I can get either Nagaoka MP500 or AT33Sa they are both in stock and Nagaoka being a bit higher in price beacuse it it includes a headshell that i don't need, AT33 has some good wiring that i could use, main deal is the sound.

7. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

8. psulioninks

I've never had the AT33Sa - but I do own a AT33PTG/II as well as a Nagaoka MP500. Given your phono preamp and the fact you listen to a lot of metal and rock...I would suggest the Nagaoka. The MP500 is a great cartridge for that type of music.

9. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I've only heard the AT33Sa of the two you've mentioned, and I think it's fabulous. It was my first LOMC cartridge and I was very pleased with the results I got from the added cost and effort to get there from MM.

10. narud

narud Forum Resident

I wouldn’t think of the sa as better. It’s just how audio technica is currently aligning their product line. The micro ridge is technically a more advanced tip than the shibata. However, that doesn’t mean you’ll prefer it. Back in the 80s, at made the 155lc with a modified shibata and the next revision was the 160ml with a micro ridge. Their linear contact was placed lower than the micro ridge.

ive got some needle drops of megadeth’s five Magic’s using both an at33sa and ptg that I can dig up if you’re interested in checking them out.

11. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

Waiting for mine at33sa to arrive. Will use it on the 1210GR. Had the at33ptg/ii before - amazing cartridge, but I managed to break the needle off :(

12. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Just to be picky I'll point out the Mp-500 is a moving iron rather than a moving magnet cartridge! Doesn't make any difference to anything. I bought one when it looked like I might be getting to the end of life of my beloved Deccas, and it was the closest to the sound of a London Decca Reference, beating out much more expensive Grado and Soundsmith cartridges. I'm not familiar with the AT33, but it would have to be a bloody marvel to beat the MP-500.

13. Shimano

Would love too, thank you !

14. Shimano

Since nobody that tested both cartridges had any input i went out for AT33Sa. Thanks all for the advice's.

vinylkid58 and Seafinch like this.
  15. narud

narud Forum Resident

you already bought it, but heres those tracks anyway!
    sa-
    Dropbox - five magics sa n.wav - Simplify your life
    ptg-
    Dropbox - five magics ptg n.wav - Simplify your life

youll hear the ptg is a little brighter than the sa. its the last track of the side of the original uk pressing which sounds like it shares the same mastering as the original cd. when compared to the cd, scanning loss makes both of these examples sound duller than the cd, but the ptg is a little closer because of the microridge. if you were to compare holy wars which is the first track, the ptg is a little brighter than the cd and the sa sounds pretty close to matching.

the sa and the mp500 both have shibata tips so youd probably lose the same amount of high end at the end of the side with either, but from plots ive seen, the mp500 looks like its a little flatter. if compared head to head, the sa would probably be a touch brighter. id really be interested in an mp500 thats been retipped with a microridge.

mirnuj_atom likes this.
  16. psulioninks

I'm not sure anyone would do that as they can just buy a replacement stylus for that cartridge.

17. narud

narud Forum Resident

the point is that having a microridge on that cartridge would retain more high end at the end of the side than the shibata thats on there. given that it looks to be a pretty flat cart, having that diamond on there could be a great option for those that are looking for something neutral.

18. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

You can actually reach out to waltertobin for a retipping service, if you're still at your location. He did retipped my Ortofon MC20IIS previously and is a great luthier regarding carts.