Help needed dating a Neil Young lp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I also checked another copy I have. It's a 1-1C and 1-1D.

This was a cut-out I bought and I have no idea when I bought it. It also has the "flower interior."

James, again, does your's have the "flower interior"?

mud-:D

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

NO Flower interior

The lp came in a plain white sleeve, no credits.

You are right of course, I have been enjoying the lp, and I was just wondering if there were any more neil young albums out there similar to this one, as i would be interested in getting some.

I paid 18 euros (about 13 dollars) for it, so it certainly wasn't a ripoff.
    JG

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Re: NO Flower interior

I believe the flower interior is the first pressing. I can't explain the dead wax markings you have.

There are many good Neil Young lps. One from that period is "Times Fades Away"

mud-:D

4. James Glennon

STILL CURIOUS

I think Rhino Records released some artists from the Reprise/Warner Brothers Labels, e.g. Gram Parsons and The Ramones on heavy vinyl. Does anybody know if Neil Young was released on Rhino vinyl.
    JG

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Well my vinyl copy of the same album, no bar-code, state 1974 on the bottom of the back cover where the tunes are listed. Whether your vinyl was pressed that year is beyond me.

I got the CD from amazon UK, although I live in the States and it sounds good to me, even though it is HDCD. But my player is a HDCD player too.

This vinyl, if it's the same as mine never had me wanting for the CeeDee, other than for convience sake, as it was quiet and sounded goooood.

Great Album.

6. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Re: STILL CURIOUS

No, I don't think so unless there is some real early material not covered.

7. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Re: Re: NO Flower interior

I must have the first pressing then since the flower insides I got with no liner notes. R2180 31716 RE-1-1B & R2180 31717 RE-1-1A 2 .

sides 1 & 2 respectively above.

I think the CeeDee has more, yes it does, listing the musicians on each cut and a letter, along with the flower thing on the tray side.

I got time fades away, too. On vinyl of course, listened to it the other night. I don't know if, yeah I'd buy it but I heard these tapes may be in shambles, hence it was not released. But don't quote me on that as I have seen way too much BS regarding the missing 4 (6) and what Neil is doing about it, or not.

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I wonder if this is not some sort of "knock off" or "grey market" pressing. The "NY" in your matrix number could stand for "Neil Young". Even though it says made in the USA on the sleeve, doesn't mean the vinyl was actually pressed there. You could have a European pressing (since you live in Europe). I know that sometimes certain "unauthorized" European pressings of US artists float around in the marketplace.

It is kind of strange though that anyone that has a basic US pressing from when this album was in print in the US, has the numbers that were mentioned in the previous thread (which is where I posted my matirx numbers).

Food for thought... I don't really know if I am right or not.

Anyway - does it sound good? If it sounds good, and you are not planning on selling it, then that is all that should matter. Right. ;)

9. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

My copy is also R2180 with the flowered inside, and custom inner sleeve with liner notes. The dead wax is as follows:

Side 1 - 31716 RE-1-1F

Side 2 - 31717 RE-1-RCA-1G

Kinda different than everyone elses........

10. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

11. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I noticed these vinyl replicas being offered at the amazon UK site, not sure about US, but I wondered if these "vinyl replicas" were pressed from the newly remastered tapes for the missing CeeDees?

But I agree with Mike T, if it sounds good, it is good.

12. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

At the moment, 18 Euro are more like $ 23, if my memory serves me right. :)

13. MikeT

Actually mine is very close. I think the only difference about mine is that side 1 has an E instead of an F at the end.

14. MikeT

The vinyl replicas are redbook CDs in cardboard "vinyl replica" sleeves. I don't believe them to be actual vinyl pressings.

So I think that shoots down any theory that what was purchase is a "vinyl replica", since John actually bought a "old fashioned" REAL vinyl pressing. Right.

15. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Hmm, I guess dating a Neil Young album is pretty cool. I dated an Olivia Newton-John album once. Almost ended up marrying it. The most important thing when dating an album is to listen to it. Hope this helps.

16. James Glennon

ON THE BEACH

Maybe, I should get 'off the beach' as I have got burned badly.

Or maybe I should have put on some 'Cream', now where did I put Disraeli Gears'.

On second thoughts I had better not, this may cause another thread to unravel.

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.