Help-New Tube amp TOO loud?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by imsjry, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Have you tried the attenuators you bought in both the input position and the output of the preamp (no harm in experimenting)? If it degrades the sound in either position, I would endorse Harby's suggestion of putting in a voltage divider resistor that shunts part of the signal to ground. The resistor is not directly in the signal path so it might be better than the in-line attenuator you tried.

I agree that it is possible to find lower gain tube alternatives that would sound better than what the linestage came with. After all, whatever comes with any given piece of equipment would only match your particular system and taste by chance. It is highly likely something else out there is better for your. But, that would be the case with the 12AX7 as well--there could be something really good out there that you have not tried. If you are reluctant to attempt yourself, or have a service person do the installation of a resistor, then tube rolling with a lower gain tube is the approach to take.

2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

how did you like the sound and characteristic description of this jan 12at7wb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.