Help! & Rubber Soul 1965 vs 1987 Stereo Mix (Poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Historically, objectively yes. Musically, personally no.

I don't remember it honestly. I've used the 2015 remix for years.

RyanC3082 likes this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Admittedly, I'm no audiophile so I don't notice much difference but, having grown up with the 60s mixes of these albums those are the ones I prefer.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How about adding another category: They both suck

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

It's which one's better, not which one's good lol.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I can’t make up my mind.

6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Both need a remix. I listen to the mono Rubber Soul but I'm not a big mono fan.

7. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Like them all. Want to have all available for when I’m more in the mood for one version or the other.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I really dislike that gated digital reverb on the '87 Rubber Soul, especially on the intro of "Nowhere Man," where it's most apparent. It's just such an '80s effect. If they were going to add reverb (a questionable move anyway), why not add '60s-era plate or spring reverb?

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Were the 86/87 remixes only for cd or did some vinyl releases that were in reprint at that time get them as well?
    I don't know when the last reprint year was for any vinyl copies that were on shelves in the late 80s.

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

1965 on both. There is just something about a "Martin" going back and remixing anything from the past (so far)--it doesn't make it better, and in many cases adds even more issues.

Riffmaster227 likes this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

The You Won't See Me remix is terrible.
    It totally blends the bridge backup vocals of John saying No I Wouldn't, No I Wouldn't.

12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Never knew he said that. Guess that's because I've never heard the '65 mix. Thanks for sharing!

13. Price.pittsburgh

You can hear him on the stereo remix and the mono but it's just blended so it doesn't standout.
    The mono I understand but why Martin wouldn't keep it separated from Paul's lead vocal is beyond me.

14. Price.pittsburgh

Had the 2009 Remasters included the 65 stereo mixes in the stereo box and therefore becoming the official versions, you have to wonder if the 87 cd versions, with the remixes, would have eventually become valuable.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I prefer the originals. The 87 mixes are only CD quality. The originals you can get all analog and to me sound more organic.
    If I had to choose one version that I own of these albums it would both be the Mono vinyl. These two albums are crying for a remixed stereo release. My go versions are Mono but when I want to listen to stereo Help! or RS it is the original stereos. I will take hard panning over loss of sound quality any day.

Riffmaster227 likes this.
  16. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Excepting, of course, the '65 mixes of both accidentally turning up on the Canadian CDs in the early '90s. But at some point (nobody knows how much later), they reverted back to the '87 mixes. Maybe these anomalies don't count since they weren't deliberate or permanent, but they exist, at least.

jamesc likes this.
  17. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

The more I listen to the original mixes, the more I prefer many of the tracks to the 87’s. Not all, but many. And some are too close to call. 87’ Dizzy is horrid. George’s tracks benefit most in Help! remixes. IMHO.

Just too much reverb on both mixes of Help.

18. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Original UK 1965 Help. 1987 Rubber Soul.

19. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Michael Fremer would have a fit if he read this but I actually prefer the 1987 mixes on both vinyl and cd. The 1965 stereo mixes sound dull and lifeless to me. Of course mono rules for both albums.

paolo likes this.
  20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I hope the OP is still alive

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.