HELP! Sony SACD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dwmann, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I picked up a 555es while waiting for a 777es to arrive that was sold out from under me. I've put about 100 hours on the 555 and the sound is still VERY harsh and edgy. NOT something I want to hear.

So, I picked up a 775 today. It was a demo - only one I could find. Well, I KNOW it's been played a lot. AND it sounds WAY better than the 555es on redbook AND SACD. Full, rich, more depth. I could listen to it all night.

How long does it REALLY take to burn in a Sony SACD, and how much does the sound change? If I keep the 555 longer than 30 days I'm stuck with it, and I HATE the way it sounds. However, I find it hard to believe a 775 could sound SO much better than a 555es. Is this a burn-in thing? Will the 555es warm up and sound better than the 775? How long will it take? With the build quality of the 555 I'd THINK it should sound better than the 775 eventually, but I'm almost afraid to risk it. Or do the 555s just sound harsh and edgy? Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, does ANYONE know where I can pick up an SCD777es, or are these just gone gone gone?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

3. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Sony's new product line is hitting the streets about now and should offer better prices, more comprehensive features and better sound. Hint, hint.

Richard.

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Richard,

I've also heard this.... please tell more about the better sound.

-Jeffrey

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Apparently fuller functioning bass management across the line, timing alignment adjustments to allow for a more flexible placement of speakers, and improved DSD to analog converter chipsets. I have not seen or heard any of this yet. I will upgrade my 500V when next year's units sport DVMI interconnects to allow for digital video output to new digital TV sets and ditigal SACD outputs. Till then it's still beta level hardware in my opinion.

Richard.

6. Jeffrey

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.!

-Jeffrey

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My purchase decision of the lowly 775 now makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!

8. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I purchased a 555ES used (3 Months Old) about 6 weeks ago, and it sounds anything but "harsh and edgy". Both the redbook CD and SACD layers sound very smooth and warm in my stereo configuration, and it also does seem to sound better with more hours of playing time. If you search some other threads on the forum, I think that you will find that there are at least several other satisfied 555ES owners lurking about.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

9. Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player

Anybody hear of the Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player? It is a single play DVD/SCAD player with progressive scan and bass management. It goes for $250. Is this one of Sony's newer models?

There are soooooooooo many different Sony DVD/SACD models that it is really confusing.:confused:

10. Jeffrey

Re: Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player

Hi,

Sometimes I think that's their point!

:sigh:

-Jeffrey

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Re: Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player

I believe that's the new one at entry level. Tweeter had one in a week ago, round these parts. I'd love to know if the DAC is different from the 500V's.

Gardo

12. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

I just bought a Sony DVP-NS500V SACD (and!) DVD Player for only $149 earlier today at Circuit City here in New York. They actually were selling it for $179 but I made them match the $149 price that the competing store, Best Buy, had been selling it for. $149- thats an absolute bargain!!! Treated myself to some Rolling Stones SACD's that were just released too and I am very pleased. By the way, latest issue of the Absolute Sound magazine reviews the DVP-NS500V. I'd suggest to anyone interested in this particular Sony model- Grab it FAST while you still can!!

13. M_Anker

M_Anker New Member

Yeah, the 755 appears to use a different DAC from the 500V. I haven't had a real chance to study the schematic, but the DAC does have a balanced output to the op-amp.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sooooo..... is the 500V DAC better or worse than the 775 DAC?..... An ideas?

Or has anyone compared the two machines?

15. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Gary- the 500V can be obtained for only $149- Repeat: $149. I dont think you can ask for a better bargain than that. CD, SACD, DVD--->$149 for an Excellent quality machine. Grab it while you still can! I did and couldnt be happier.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, up here they are still $349.00.

I do need a DVD player. When they go down in price (I'll keep my eyes peeled ~ ouch!) I'll spring for one. After all I got the last 775 for $180.00 Canadian which is a mere $110.00 US.

The Sony price drops take an extra month to hit Canada, it seems!

Actually, I should be going for DVD-V and DVD-A capability.

Decisions, decisions....

17. M_Anker

M_Anker New Member

If your taking about the DAC in the CE775 changer, then it is definitely way better than the DVP-NS500V. Stick with your CE775, it's nearly twice the player that the NS500V is.

-Matthew Anker
    www.SACDmods.com

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, Matthew, that is what I meant! Thanks!

19. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Re: Re: Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player

quote:
    Originally posted by JohnnyK
    Anybody hear of the Sony DVP NS755V DVD/SACD player? It is a single play DVD/SCAD player with progressive scan and bass management. It goes for $250. Is this one of Sony's newer models?

There are soooooooooo many different Sony DVD/SACD models that it is really confusing

This is strange, when I did a search for the NS755v DVD/SACD player, some sort of warning came up, and the first page of the thread on all were blank! Gorts, do you have any idea what happened?
    So I copied and pasted the quote from JohnnyK, and am trying to find out more about this player, as it interests me. I believe it is new, even CC has about 500 in their warehouse (as of 9/24/02, but not in the stores yet:( Is this a good player for SACD? Please, anyone; if you have any info,,,, please post. Thanks:)

20. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I have a Sony NS900v SACD/CD/DVD and I have found that SACD playback is wonderful - with very little "burn-in" time incidently.

In contrast, CD replay can be a bit less wonderful - despite a fairly long period of use. It is capable of sounding really good, especially when experimenting with the 2 filter options (sharp, soft), but sometimes does sound a bit harsh and edgy to my ears.

So - I've decided to buy a dedicated unit for CD replay (the Linn Classik blew me away in demo!) and use the Sony for SACD's and movies... :cool:

21. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

FOLLOW UP TO ORIGINAL POST:

After 30 days of running the 555es 24/7, it has sweetened and the soundstage has expanded. It blows the 775 out the door. If you pick up one of these you MUST allow a lot of burn in time.

22. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Yes, I didn't want to say anything til I totally checked things out, but it is true!!!! Earlier in the summer I purchased an open box 555es, and shortly it started to sound great, but it developed a problem reading some redbooks, so I took it back, and instead of sending it to sony service,I took a new 555es for $100 more. I took it home and there were no redbook reading problems, but this sucker sounded real harsh. But I just kept burning it in.Finally, this week, about a month and a half, its starting to sound real good like the the first one. I A/B my rotel 951 with it and it was night and day, not a few weeks ago. The rotel is ok, but now fairs to the too bright side when compared with the 555es.BTW did you know that the 555es is an "A" component in the Stereophile Recommended Components this month? Compared against units costing several thousands of dollars, now with a list of $800. I'm really glad I got mine.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Hey Ron,

I'm glad the C555ES is working out!!! I'm happy to report so is mine. Yes, it does seems to take some time for it to smooth/mellow out. It's a damn good machine (especially for the price)!!

Todd

24. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Now, if I only had some money to buy some more SACDs.................:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ron,

Now that's 2 things we have in common...:( :( :( :( :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.