Help, trying to rip Peter Gabriel inside mix from blu ray

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bobdog, Feb 11, 2024.

1. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am trying to rip the surround mix to my hard drive DVD audio extractor shows the 6 channel option. but the next screen with the settings only shows Mono as an option. I have run into this same kind of thing before and have been able to find out what is causing this (things like menu music as a track). I am at a loss on this one. Has anyone been able to do this on this title?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. bobdog

Updating to the latest DVD Audio Extractor version seems to have Made things work. Sort of. It will extract to Apple Lossless tracks but the channels seem to be mixed up somehow (I think front channels are coming for the sides and on the first track I think from the rears) The levels are pretty low as well.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I assume you are referring to the Gabriel Blu-ray I/O, which includes the mix "In-Side". I don't have this title myself, but I looked up Gabriel Blu-rays on Discogs to find this title.

Two items to note related to your desire to rip the In-Side mix:

1. I assume that if the Blu-ray disc is encrypted (most are), that you decrypted it to your computer prior to using DVD Audio Extractor, since DVD AE does not support ripping encrypted Blu-ray discs.
    2. Discogs lists the In-Side mix as Dolby Atmos (only), so I assume there are no other formats for the In-Side mix on the Blu-ray disc, such as 5.1 or even stereo (if Discogs is incorrect wrt this, then please reply to this effect). Since you did not mention Atmos specifically in your posts, perhaps you are not aware of this.

I have not investigated ripping Atmos mixes myself as I do not have an audio system that supports it. I suggest you search outside of this forum, as I don't believe there is much on Atmos ripping here. I did find a thread mentioning Atmos ripping and DVD AE on the AVS Forum that references using the output format "Direct Stream Demux", but the thread discussion included playing the ripped file using JRiver, so I don't know the extent to which this solution is more generally applicable. The QuadraphonicQuad Forum should have more info on this, such as this thread for starters: Can one rip Atmos discs?

Good Luck.

Doug

Dillydipper likes this.
  4. bobdog

Yes Decrypted with Make MKV. The latest DVD audio extractor version Gives the option to extract 7.1 from the Atmos with out using Demux. Everything seems fine except the right and left front channels appear to be mapped to the side surround speakers. I am not sure if this is a problem with the I/O Blu ray or if it will always be the case as I do not own any other Atmos Blu rays at the moment. Could also be a Roon issue as I have not tried to play it back any other way.

Doug_B likes this.
  5. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Thank you for the information. Interesting that DVD AE supports a 7.1 extraction from an Atmos stream. Where did you find that documented? Interestingly, I googled "atmos" constrained to dvdae.com, which resulted in its "What's New" page being listed, i.e., DVD Audio Extractor -- What's New , but I couldn't subsequently find the word "atmos" when searching on that page (as well as the page source for the page).

Thanks.

Doug

6. bobdog

I don't where it is documented. I actually used it. After updating the program it offers (All Eight Channels) as an option. It worked but the mapping is off at least on this Bly ray. If I wanted to switch cables around I think it would be the same as playing the disc.