Help! Turntable RCA cable with insane interference from LED lights...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TongueDruid, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I finally set up my secondary listening area after moving months ago, and I have a ton of Ikea LED light strips putting on a friggin' laser show behind & above the wall of record cubes. Only good place for the turntable & amp in the new spot is on top of those cabinets w/ the LEDs.
    Come to find out those lights are throwing out some SERIOUS interference thru the RCA cables going from the TT to the amp's phono. After an obscene amount of troubleshooting (I even checked the tt cartridge!) I discovered it is strictly the rca cable picking up the high-pitched, undulating hums, crackles & popping from those LEDs. It's even when they're turned off; as long as they're plugged into an outlet the noise persists. But again, only if the RCAs are plugged into the phono stereo as well. Otherwise: beauteous audio normalcy.

I'd reeeeeeeeally love to keep that colorful visual going... Anyone know if a good n' shielded, braided rca interconnect might block that interference? The existing rca is just a 3' length of the cheaper variety (Fospower or smthng similar.) I did try another rca, the only other I had available is a stock super-cheap/free 6' long rca, and the interference was almost double! I also even powered the lights via a separate (unplugged) UPS battery pack, as to make absolutely sure it wasn't a power/ground issue. Just seems to be too close in vicinity.

So I'm hoping that just maybe ponying up for a pricey super-braided shielded adamantium plutonium alien technology rca might resolve this? :confused:

Any suggestions & all tidbits of help would be highly appreciated!! I'm afraid if a nice cable or some ferrite clamps don't work then I'll have to go without all the fancy visual mojo I was so fancy on (and already spent some hours & bucks on.) :mudscrying:
    Figured I'd ask before possibly spending a bunch more money & time on a possible lost cause...

2. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Phono cables needs to have low capacitance ... blue jeans RCA are one of the lower capacitance i remember. Signal cable also.

Cheaper option it's to DIY, it's very easy.

HiFi Guy and TongueDruid like this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

TongueDruid likes this.
  4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I don't think that Monoprices cables are a good idea ... almost 100pF per meter. Very high

Blue Jeans have 22 and Signal Cable 29 ... much better capacitance.

Measuring the capacitance of some RCA cables - diyAudio

HiFi Guy and TongueDruid like this.
  5. TongueDruid

Thnx guys! So after checking out all of the shielding and braiding specs I'm taking a shot @ a 3' run of the BJC LC-1 for my 1st try. Also just ordered a slew of ferrite clamps to see if that helps as well.
    I think otherwise I might spring for the Signal Cable Silver Resolution RCAs terminated with Neutrik ProFi's. But those are quadruple the price & I'm afraid of jumping down any snake-oil rabbit holes :laugh:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming my only real chance is a combo of some beefy, braided shielding w/ twisted wires.

6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Have a pair of good shielded rca cables are worthy ... in other way you'll always be in doubt about it. For me, brings peace of mind.

TongueDruid likes this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Nope. You could try different LEDs.

8. TongueDruid

Well yeah, that too. :laugh:
    I'm just trying to avoid eating the $150 is spent on the current ones awhile back. Also, I figure if the Blue Jeans cord & ferrite doesn't solve a thing then I can just return 'em & will have also at least learned about what RCA shielding ISN'T capable of. I guess I'll then have to try a different LED system like you said, and hope for the best.

9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Try this: wrap the cable in tin foil and using an alligator clip bond it to the TT ground lug on your amp.

you could also take a piece of speaker wire and wrap it around the phono cable, say 5 or 6 turns per foot and land it to the TT ground lug.

cheap and easy to see if shielding helps.
    It may not.

TongueDruid likes this.
  10. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Just for some info - I don't trust more than my ears

From that comment on that forum, the Monoprice Premium I linked is 28 pF/ft or 92 pF/meter
    Monoprice gives no spec for it, but a customer review (down the page dated "June 24, 2014 Guest" says they are 16 pF/ft. or 52.5 pF/meter
    Monoprice 1.5ft Premium 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - Black - Monoprice.com
    At this moment it is $4.99 for the 6 feet length stereo audio cable

Blue Jeans LC-1 claims 12.2 pF/ft or 40 pF/meter on this page
    LC-1 Audio Cable Design Notes -- Blue Jeans Cable
    At this moment their stereo audio cable, 6 feet, is $47

Other Monoprice similar but not identical cables that they list for video are specifically spec'ed at 22 pF/ft, or 72.1 pF/meter, like this one.
    Monoprice 25ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) - Monoprice.com

11. TongueDruid

Try
    Definitely trying these tmrw, thank u!

12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

If going with BJC, I'd select the 1505F cable option over LC-1. It has better shielding with the double braid. I have both and 1505F does definitely block interference better. I've had occasional issues with my LC-1 but never with 1505F. 1505F is 17pF/ft so still pretty low.

TongueDruid likes this.
  13. TongueDruid

Thanks for the tip!! Definitely will try the 1505F if the LC1 & no other tricks work

14. TongueDruid

Just tried both, no difference in shielding that damn EMI. Got the Blue Jean LC-1 cable coming in today, hopefully that does SOMETHING. If not then I'll hafta start testing different LEDs

15. Ingenieur

It may not be the cable. The cartridge coils may be the 'antenna'. LED power supplies (AC to DC voltage converter) are dirty, basically a switching power supply.
    Most switch in the xx kHz range, up to 1 MHz.

TongueDruid and MusicNBeer like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There are certain things that should not be near turntables. Wifi/smart devices, mobile phones, powerline internet, dimmer switches, and yes, LEDs.

TongueDruid and Ingenieur like this.
  17. TongueDruid

I though of that & unplugged the cart during my initial process of elimination. No dice. I wish that were the culprit since I could easily just switch carts!

18. TongueDruid

You're completely right about the LEDs' power supply, the interference definitely starts up high in the audible range of kHz. I tried different LEDs today, same damn result but different high-pitched freqs.
    Tried the Blue Jeans LC-1 rca cable as well with no good luck there... Just ordered their 1505F to see if that extra shielding does anything for me.

If not well then I guess I'll settle for throwin' on a lava lamp and maybe a black light :laugh:
    Wait... Is a black light safe?! WHAT HAS BECOME OF ME?!

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. Ingenieur

lava lamps are safe :D

[​IMG]

TongueDruid likes this.
  20. TongueDruid

Man, what a killer listening spot!!

21. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Might it work to use a linear power supply for the LED lights? They produce less EMI, right? In audiophile land they can be expensive, but I would think cheaper options exist.

TongueDruid likes this.
  22. TongueDruid

Thanks for the tip, I'm looking into that right now :)
    There's one on Amazon for $80 and if it works I can likely make that money back if I use it with an LED strip & sell off the Ikea ones. If not then thank Lord Bezos for free returns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.