Help w/ Denon AVR-5600 and/or Toslink

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrMudPuppy, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey People,

I just read a thread regarding buying a fiber optic cable for the Super Bowl and that triggered a question...

I have a Denon AVR-5600 reciever (w/o DTS - earlier models came witout DTS). I have a Sony DVP-S 7700 DVD player connected to the reciever via a toslink fiber optic cable.

When watching DVDs the following occurs:

When navigating through DVD menus or skipping chapters the digital signal from the DVD player to the reciever is interrupted. The digital indicator light on my reciever changes from green to red and back to green. When this occurs, my reciever makes a loud mechanical click (almost sounds like a relay) and the sound is momentarily interrupted until it can lock back in on the digital signal.

Is this normal?

Could replacing the toslink with an RCA Digital cable fix this?

Any ideas?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

My Yammy does that. Sounds pretty normal to me.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, this is normal. It is how the DVD's are authored. If your reciever has a alphanumeric readout that indicates what kind of processing is actually occuring, you can see that at the beginning of most DVDs the audio will cycle through Dolby Digital 3/2/1, then maybe DD 3.0, then maybe DTS, then maybe back to DD 3/2/1. But if you use a fiber optic cable to feed digital information to an outboard DSP from a devoted CD player, you will notice that on a lot of CDs, the DSP goes to standby between songs, so even CDs are authored with gaps of no audio infomation.

As for the clicks from your system, that does not sound good, and I would check all of the connections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.