Help with a buzzy turntable!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JWB, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWB

JWB New Member Thread Starter

My turntable buzzes even though I have the ground connected...but it stops if I touch the ground with my fingers.

I also have a Yamaha MD8 mini-disc recorder in the same room and it buzzes through the inputs when I connect a microphone. It goes away somewhat if I put my hand on the microphone. I tried plugging into a different socket and switching microphones but it doesn't change.

The turntable always buzzed a little, but I moved my stereo system a few feet and stripped the ground wires and tried to connect that way...and it got worse!

I don't care so much about the MD8 because I can take it somewhere else, but I really need to transfer some rare records soon! I just got a minty mono "After Bathing At Baxters".

I'm not an electrician! HELP!

2. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I wonder if your ground at the wall plug is intact. Can you test to see if that is working? They sell little plug-in testers that light up different color configurations for status of the outlet. Older houses or apartments often have improperly wired plugs.

good luck, this can be frustrating.

3. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

You can also use a multi-meter to test this: Check for continuity between the neutal slot and the ground (the neutral is the wide slot on a polar outlet).

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you're right. When JBW said the buzz when away when the wires were touched, the act of touching the wires seems to have created a ground!

Perhaps you should try another plug? Use another ground?

5. zappa

zappa New Member

congrats on the mono baxter's! i would try another ground AND check the outlet.

6. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

WARNING: If the outlet is mis-wired with the 'hot' and 'neutral' reversed (which has been known to happen and may also be causing the hum problem as well) sticking the meter into the outlet as suggested for a continuity check may blow the meter to Kingdom Come, and possibly injure you!!!

As suggested aboue, there are commercially available plug-in modules that will let you know if your ground is good (and if the outlet is wired in reverse) without risking your meter or yourself.

-Aaron

7. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Good point. Testing the voltage across all the terminals is a good idea before a continuity check.

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

The correct suggestion, I have one of these in addition to a multimeter. You can get them at Home Depot, I think they are less than $10.

9. JWB

Guess what? I just messed around with the plugs and my amplifier and I discovered that it's my Sony DVP-NS775V that's causing the phono input to buzz. I don't even have it connected to the amp. It's just plugged into the socket. I tried plugging it into the back of the amp and the wall socket and reversing the plug...regardless, it makes my amplifier buzz in phono mode, and my 8-track minidisc too. When I unplug it, the buzz disappears.

Is there a solution to this problem? Is the Sony combo no good? I haven't used it at all yet. Maybe someone here could take it off my hands and re-wire it for their own use? I bought the damn thing because it was recommended by this forum!

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

JWB, Relax. :) You are not the first person to have a hum or buzz in their system. It is called a ground loop problem and usually switching plugs around and checking that all cable connections are tight solves it. Here is a website (PS Audio) that will help you solve the problem. You will have to register if you are not already registered but it completely free (just like the forum) and a good site. Keep posting how it goes and we will help you through this.

http://www.psaudio.com/account/index.asp?target=/account/humbusters.asp?

11. J7 Rewires

J7 Rewires Forum Resident

cheap mains adaptors leads can coss some probl;ems ..
    and are all your hifi mains cables comming from the 1 socket???

also a earth lead from amp to 8 track and turntable will balance the earth out
    also what turntable have you with the sony amp?
    best wishes
    j7

12. JWB

Thanks for the help guys. I tried plugging the Sony DVP-NS775V into different plugs and switching it around, but to no avail. I think it's screwed up. Simply plugging it in causes everything to buzz. I'm happy just to get rid of the damn thing. For now, I have to transfer some rare vinyl.

I am using a surge protector power strip to plug everything in. I tried switching it with two other ones, with no luck. I also tried plugging everything in upstairs with an extention cord...no luck.

My amp isn't exactly hi-fi. It's very old, and it doesn't have digital surround sound capabilites (I was using the Sony DVP as a simple CD player).

I'm still a poor college student and I can't afford fancy equipment yet. I'm also a retard when it comes to electronics...hence my need for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.