Help with cable selection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IamJoe, Sep 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamJoe

IamJoe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently acquired an OPPO BPD-103 Disc player. I have an Emotiva PT1 Preamplifier en route and I am trying to figure what is the best way to connect the two, Coaxial or Optical? The Oppo will be used for music only (if that matters).

2. CodecCowboy

CodecCowboy Well-Known Member

Coax, but I would try analogue out of the Oppo too, the dac is probably better than the Emotiva.

3. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I prefer digital coax. It's a more solid connection. It also has more bandwidth than optical, but whether or not you'd hear an audible difference is debatable.

4. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Agree coax..... please post your thoughts and experience with the PT1.... I have been looking for a used preamp for my brother.... problem is every time I look on CL or any other classified , something follows me home ! And its not a preamp for him. Bought 3 components in my search for his pre !!!! Anyway I think the PT 1 is the best choice for him. He has all my hand me downs except a preamp. Would love to hear your thoughts.....

5. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

If you only play Redbook CD, bandwidth is not an issue with either coax or optical. I stand corrected but I believe the coax and optical outputs are up to 192KHz.

Some believe optical is a good option because there is isolation. At the end of the day it boils down to the implementation.

Best to try all 3 (coax, optical and analogue). Can’t tell which works best till you have listened to all 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.