Help with CD, foam insert melted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fastnbulbous, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood Thread Starter

I recently purchased this used 3 CD set of Aida. It evidently hasn't been played in ages, and the foam insert separating discs 2 and 3 has literally melted onto them. One of the discs is completely covered in foam. Fortunately the data sides are intact, but as you can see still unplayable as is.

Is there a safe method to remove this foam? I considered just soaking the discs in water but figured someone here has dealt with this problem before.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Your image didn't make it, but if the melted foam is softer than the CD surface, you could use car polish to gently rub it off. A rigorous buffing on the data side will clean up light scratches on a CD, so I'd think that light buffing would easily remove the softer foam material without taking off the paint of the surface.

3. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Make sure ALL of the foam gets removed...any residue will likely create an off-balance spin if the disc is inserted in a machine, and could break apart, damaging the machine along the way...

uzn007 and Fastnbulbous like this.
  4. Fastnbulbous

Crap, don't know why photo didn't go through. Here's another try...

[​IMG]

Rick Bartlett and c-eling like this.
  5. cheap cooking oil: corn oil, etc., should do it
    rub it into the foam and it should come off

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wow, that's worst case of foam rot I've ever seen....
    Wonder if that was after market. I've never seen that color before.

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Fastnbulbous

Thanks friend! I'll give it a go and let you know how it came out.

zphage and c-eling like this.
  8. Fastnbulbous

I dunno - looks like a legit Deutchegramofon release, and though the cardboard cover isn't in great shape the booklet is nearly pristine. I'm guessing somebody inherited it from his dad, stored it in the attic for 20 years and found it in the move.

c-eling likes this.
  9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I would try luke warm water and dawn.

Fastnbulbous and c-eling like this.
  10. just let the oil soak in, don't rub too vigorously, it should come right off

Same process works for dried glues on cds

uzn007 and Fastnbulbous like this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't know what to suggest to most safely remove the foam residue. Just be careful. The label side of the CD is thinner than the play side. It's easier to damage the label side and end up making the disc unplayable. You also don't want to use anything that could soften and remove the printing or ink on the label side.

I'd try soap and water first. I've cleaned CDs with dish soap and water and that hasn't caused any damage to any of my CDs.

Mbe, bru87tr and Fastnbulbous like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It depends. It's hard to tell from your picture, but sometimes, the foam reacts with something in the paint on the CD label resulting in permanent damage. I have had this happen to a couple of "fat boy" double CDs. I've also had the foam in my Dylan Biograph box disintegrate without causing any damage, so it seems that not all foam is the same. Foam also caused some discoloration of the technical specs insert of my MOFI UHQR Beatles Sgt. Pepper box. I have tossed all CD foam inserts, and have taken the foam out of my UHQR box sets and stored them separately.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  13. Fastnbulbous

Yeah that was my first thought, but this rotted/melted foam is really stuck on there.

14. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Classical CDs have never been cheaper. Might be best to toss it and buy another, after requesting photos of the foam insert to verify it’s a good ‘un.

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's an opera CD. It needs an aria to lament its unfortunate situation.
    From Aida: Oh My CD, I will never play you again.

16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Quick note - never get CDs pressed by Nimbus wet. The silkscreen will crack and peel off if you do, and no-one wants flakes in their CD player. Other manufacturers seem to be fine.

I’ve heard of fatboy foam-rot, but this is the first time I’ve seen it. Grisly.

Crimson Witch and audiomixer like this.
  17. Fastnbulbous

I think I paid $1 for it at the used-CD place, so it's not the end of the world. More a matter of principle at this point. :D

18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thats not always true. More times than not I have used very cold water to clean up the ones that get sticky label. Not only took off the sticky, the label came out like new. Warm water will definitely wipe the label off though.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Scratch what you can off with your nail after applying Zippo/Swan/Rizla lighter petrol. Then use a cloth doused with lighter petrol to get the residue off. Afterwards clean the disc with soapy water.
    If this doesn't work or the process is way too laborious then I would toss the CDs....

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  20. I'd start with a thorough vaccum job, with the nozzle covered with a slitted piece of velvet, microfiber cloth, etc. Not rubbing it against the surface but "spot touching" the disc only.

Then follow up with one or other of the liquid cleaning advices given here.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Nobody has mentioned using Isopropyl Alcohol yet. I'd try in this order:
    dish soap and water
    isopropyl
    lighter fluid
    acetone (last resource!)

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've seen this exact thing before on a Deutsche Grammophon double CD with exactly the same foam. The CDs were old German ones with the aluminium to the hole in the middle, not a clear centre around the hole, the same as yours. The foam was stuck firmly to the disc.

I tried soap and water. Don't do it! It will take the writing off the disc at least and make it sticky at best. On mine the entire music surface peeled off, leaving a clear plastic disc. Sadly, I think this ones had it. I'd take the advice from someone above and buy another one.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  23. I believe the foam has adhered to the printed side of the disc, and all these methods may be too abrasive.

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...or luke warm water and sunset.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  25. snowdog

snowdog Forum Resident

I have a few CDs with these kind of foam inserts, some of which have gone the way of our friend's here. Usually classical, but I've just discovered that my original Star Wars fat boy release has one in it.

My question is, should they just be discarded? Is there a legitimate reason to have them in there beyond protection during transit & if so, is there an acknowledged better option to replace these shoddy foam inserts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.