Help with new AVR & Surround/Stereo Set-Up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yesstiles, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay I did that. Am I supposed to be able to hear something when I turn the Creek knob to "AV?" I can only hear music when I turn the Creek knob to "CD."

I can hear all 5 speakers now but the center and rear channels are lagging behind the main speakers, like a half-second delay. :confused:

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did you get this all straightened out? Setting up a 5.1 surround system should be almost as easy as stereo. You start with normal connections and make small adjustments here and there (after it all plays) to taste. I hate it when folks start out and everything is just failing to come together.

I played a few surround albums today, Jeff Beck "BBB" - O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" and Townshend & Lane "Rough Mix" and was just floored at how all of them sound. The only thing I do so often is turn off the center chan (especially for 4.0 quad), and no delays are set on speakers, no room corrction / DSP, no nothing except pure high-resolution surround.

The three Yes titles "Yes Album" - "Fragile" and "CTTE" are pretty darn great in 5.1 btw.

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Buy a 2.1 preamp, which has Home Theater bypass function, like a Parasound P6.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for checking in on me. I feel like I’ve done all I can do to set it up properly. But there’s still something that’s not right I’m sure. Because it just doesn’t sound that good when I place surround stuff. I’m thinking I have a patch in the wrong spot or one of the menu items is not set correctly. I’m frustrated with trying out more. Sucks that I’m so incompetent when it comes to these sorts of things but I guess that’s just how I’m wired.
    I think I’m going to put a request out on the forum for someone to help me in person. I live in a very popular resort town in the mountains near LA and I know there’s got to be many people on the forum that come to Big Bear yearly either to ski on the slopes in the winter or on the lake in the summer. Maybe I can pay them to come over and fix my set up correctly.
    :wave:

Sterling1 likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, maybe I can do that at some point in the future. It would be a lovely drive and scenic day trip.

The part that I think is confusing is that the player has output settings and the AVR also has its own input and output settings. Either unit with the wrong settings can screw things up.

One way to get things in order most simply - is to start with a quad SACD that does not have any center or sub-channels. So as a simple way to get the four corners going first before anything else. Once that is right, you move up to the program material that includes 5.1 and the settings to go with it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.