"Hemingway": PBS Bio Film 4/5/21

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Mar 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

We were in Cuba just before Covid hit last year. Here are some photos from Hemingway's home:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    scousette, Tanx, Crungy and 12 others like this.
  2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

3. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

4. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

A hotel bar where he liked to hang out. I'm afraid I forgot the name.
    [​IMG]

Tanx, GMfan87', arley and 7 others like this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Kind of hard for a documentarian to have a purpose for informing when we keep being told by intellectual snobs that if we don't learn from history we repeat it but then can't explain how that's possible with the contradiction that history is made by those that write bout it as in document it and leave stuff out as in edit.

At least Ken Burns constantly reminds us with all this minute detail in the life of people who made history we never really knew that we shouldn't place much value in being informed even today when we find out decades later that the perception was all wrong because some folks left out a lot of detail.

As an example several days ago I was watching a 2013 C-SPAN book club lecture by author Jeff Guinn about his new book relaying a bunch of evidence left out of over 170 books on the subject of Charles Manson's life. He interviewed many of his prison buddies including his mother and other siblings and his followers in "The Family". He found documented evidence Charlie wasn't born illegitimate from a prostitute.

Everything about Charles Manson boils down to an act he put on from advice he read in Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence People. IOW "Crazy Charlie" was an act for all those years because he knew he wasn't going to beat the wrap so he might as well put on a show as an actor since the world became his stage.

But really does it matter we know that after Charlie's dead? What have we learned? That we can't control the future because we keep forgetting how history treats us?

I'ld liked to know Hemingway's take on Beavis and Butthead. Now that would be interesting.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

BIG thanks for these. Did they say who some of the paintings' artists are?

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but I don't recall. I don't think so.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I get your point, and agree, I have a shelf full of Miles Davis records. I can overlook a lot if the art is great, but Hemingway’s conduct across his life reached a different level of awful, in my opinion. If others still enjoy the books, have at it. Not sure I’ll ever choose to spend my time with them again.

11. arley

arley Forum Resident

A few years back I read an fascinating book about a period in Hemingway's life: The Breaking Point: Hemingway, Dos Passos, and the Murder of Jose Robles by Stephen Koch. The book has received wildly differing reviews on Amazon; I'm not familiar enough with the details of the Spanish Civil War to judge its accuracy, but I enjoyed it. In it the portraits of Hemingway and Dos Passos are interesting: Dos Passos comes off as a sometimes naïve but well meaning guy trying to find out what happened to his friend Robles. Hemingway, though, comes off as an insecure, thoroughly unlikable macho jerk.

https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Poi...king+point+koch&qid=1618234671&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Wright and Matt Richardson like this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ken Burn's usual brilliance is on hand with this latest installment of his always interesting documentaries, but after watching this one I have to say that I'm very underwhelmed by the person who was being represented. I can't imagine how anyone could walk away from this one and not feel a bit cheated by the person who has been so loved for so long and realize that sometimes you really CAN'T judge a book (or it's author), by the cover.

13. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

By the end of Hemingway I found something I hadn't planned on finding - sympathy for Ernest Hemingway. I'd long admired his books, but I had far less admiration for the man who wrote them. Well before #MeToo he was considered the Patient Zero of toxic masculinity - even before the term was coined - and the loose cannon on deck of American literature. Yet too few of his many critics took the time Ken Burns and Lynn Novick have to explore how Hemingway's difficult childhood shaped and cursed him, or how the effects of repeated traumatic brain injuries exacerbated what was clearly inherited mental illness. No - none of that wholly excuses Hemingway's behavior, but it does help explain and understand it. Doesn't take a Freud to figure out why for example, Hemingway was attracted to Martha Gellhorn - and why he eventually drove her away.

Burns and Novick neither praise or bury Hemingway, and this is a better documentary for it. The filmmakers present Hemingway as he was - a complicated giant of American literature, blessed with gifts and cursed by weaknesses in equal proportion. It's heartbreaking to watch how often Hemingway's weaknesses won out, though.

Tanx, Carl LaFong, Tommy Jay and 6 others like this.
  14. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't read that one, but I did read another one about the Hemingway-Dos Passos relationship called The Ambulance Drivers. It also covers the Spanish story which I gather is the full focus of the book you mention.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambulance-Dr...306823837/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It gave a pretty rounded portrait of both men, but what really stood out was the theme of friendship: even though their falling-out was swift and ugly, there was still some bond there that could not be broken, as they continued to remain in each other's thoughts.

GMfan87' likes this.
  16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

"Big game" fishing, AKA trophy fishing, is another of Hemingway's excess, and shows his disregard for sea life.

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Almost all the artists I admire - whether musician, writer, painter or poet - tended to be pretty awful people... not a single one was upright and virtuous... if I followed that criteria, my entire record collection would consist of The Osmonds... personally, I like reprobates, degenerates and drunks who wield pen, paintbrush or guitar... Hemingway never did anything near vile enough for me to remove him from what I consider the "Best Short Story Writer of All Time" pantheon... ymmv obviously... this discussion has been held in other threads and I find the vast gulf that seems to separate people's opinion on the matter very interesting...

Crungy, Tanx, GMfan87' and 3 others like this.
  18. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I feel unless it's particularly heinous like a murder or child abuse,(or they prattle on about politics and are nasty) I keep it separate from the work.
    It brings up the questions is it a pious position to say no more of this person because they did this or that ? Who amongst us has lead a perfect life?

YardByrd likes this.
  19. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

even the former doesn't put me off... Muddy and Wolf's guitarist Pat Hare killed his wife years after he predicted it in his recording "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby"... he's still one of my favorite guitarists... now the latter, that is a bridge too far indeed...

20. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I watched it. It was on PBS. It revealed much. It was good.

Tanx likes this.
  21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Your post pretty much states everything that I would have wanted to say had I written my own so thank you .

Tanx, YardByrd and MrGrumpy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.