Hendrix- Axis bold as love Mono vs Stereo vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tumbledweeb, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

That helps.

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Both are excellent re pressings and either or both worth getting tho' the 2000 Classic is a little expensive these days.
    Difference? The Legacy is mastered a little quieter than the 2000 Classic. From memory that is the only difference Grundman made to these. It might be because I've been listening to the Classic pressing for over 10 years but that is my pick "to go to", not just between these two but all the Axis mono pressings. But really, the Legacy is a fine pressing and given how cheap it is has to be a must have.
    And as this thread is about mono v stereo pressings .............. in the instance of Axis the mono is less distracting with the non issue of panning so for me is a better listen.

3. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

That
    Thanks. That more than answers my question (piggybacked on an old post as it was). I hadn't realised the Classic was quite so old. The Sony mono is now on its way to me.

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I was looking at these yesterday, seriously tempted to get both, plus AYE and EL when I have the spare cash.

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Axis Mono LP reissue sounds really good on my system. Punchy and tight bass with kick drum/drums. Nice mids (voice). Really impressed with this pressing ....

rxcory likes this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I agree. This is one that I keep going back to often. Even more than The Beatles mono box, just because I find Axis more exciting these days.

7. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Too bad my copy was warped. Medium warp. Its going back. But will definately get a replacement..

8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I bought the sony release when I had classic already and I ended selling sony. Classic just sounded slightly hotter to my ears, may just be a louder cut but nicer.

9. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I though the Sony Axis was a bit quiet as well. I thought it was just me! Never heard the Classic.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, be aware that there are two stereo mixes of Axis. The original mix (which is what I think the most recent vinyl reissues use) and a early 70s remix (which, IIRC, can be found on the Polydor 2-fer and some CD issues).

11. glea

glea Forum Resident

I only got an original UK mono Axis a year ago. The UK seller bundled AYE, Axis and Smash Hits monos, but never mentioned mono in the listing.I only spotted in in the photos. I got the lot cheap...The Axis was in fab condition. I have the mono from a few years back. I'm so used to the stereo, it was some adjustment to hear the mono. Both are woth owning. I grew up with a UK mono AYE, so I don't really have the problem with it others do.,

[​IMG]

rollo5 and John Bliss like this.
  12. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Wow! Great score!

13. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I have the mono Axis,i like it but i miss something...Jimi must be heard in Stereo IMHO.:shrug:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Anybody here has an opinion about which is best, Sony EH mono or Classic records mono? From what i read, EH is a little thinner sounding than the Classics, which is hotter...

15. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I had both versions but I came to the conclusion I only needed Classic version, it was pretty obvious to my ears.
    Also got hold of a early UK a few weeks ago for free with no cover, this also was not a keeper. The Classic is fantastic in my opinion. The EH stereo is essential too.

razorball likes this.
  16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have the Sony EH mono and the Classic Records pressing. Back to back on my system I really saw no difference. Both records are pressed flawlessly too. The classic records might have a slightly more meat and potatoes in the mids but they are both excellent IMO and nothing really made me say one is better than the other.

Freebird and razorball like this.
  17. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The classic records version is what I use to show people what mono can sound like. It brings a real punch and power to the rock songs!

The stereo Axis is probably the earliest "great" sounding stereo album in my book - it's pretty amazing sounding for a loud rock band in 1967

I recently burned cd copies of the mono for a bunch of my guitar playing jam buddies, all of them were blown away and really enjoyed this album being presented in a new way. It is almost like getting to listen to it for the first time again!

jumpinjulian and Opeth like this.
  18. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Ok but do you also have the EH mono and if yes is the classics a real improvement over the EH?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.